Author Topic: Why Exercise Is Not Enough to Prevent Weight Gain  (Read 1250 times)

rangerrebew

Why Exercise Is Not Enough to Prevent Weight Gain
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »
By Agata Blaszczak-Boxe, Contributing Writer | February 10, 2017 06:02pm ET

70 6 0 0 0 MORE

Partner Series
Credit: Stock-Asso/Shutterstock.com

Exercise on its own — without also following a healthy diet — isn't enough to help people lose or even just maintain their weight, a recent study suggests.

The new results run counter to the idea that the obesity epidemic in the U.S. is caused by a lack of physical activity, said lead study author Lara Dugas, an assistant professor of public health sciences at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine.

When it comes to figuring out the causes of obesity, "what we really need to look at is what people are eating," Dugas told Live Science. Previous research, for example, has linked a greater risk of obesity with the consumption of high-calorie food and sweetened beverages, she said. [How to Lose Weight in 2017 (and Keep It Off for Good)]

http://www.livescience.com/57857-why-exercise-doesnt-prevent-weight-gain.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:06:02 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Why Exercise Is Not Enough to Prevent Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:22:53 pm »
With all due respect to Ms. (Dr.?) Dugas, but those of us with weight problems have known all this for years. 

It's always been calories in, calories out. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:09:14 pm »
Doesn't it depend on how much and the type of exercise one gets? Mr. M doesn't watch his calories, but maintains his weight by running 30-40 miles per week. He soon will begin training in earnest for the Boston Marathon and will drop a few pounds.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:58 pm »
Doesn't it depend on how much and the type of exercise one gets? Mr. M doesn't watch his calories, but maintains his weight by running 30-40 miles per week. He soon will begin training in earnest for the Boston Marathon and will drop a few pounds.

@mountaineer

One factor is gender.  Your husband may be able to drop weight fast because he is a man, and men tend to metabolize what they eat quickly.  At least that's what I've heard.

Does seem true with the men in my family.  Dad and the men in his generation all worked jobs involving manual labor.  Even after Dad retired,  he kept busy with activities that expended calories.  Dad was a small man -- 5 feet, 4 inches and weighed around 130 pounds.   But he ate like a horse.   

My brother retired from a desk job, but he skis, shoots hoops and hikes.   He can burn up a huge meal in nothing flat. 

We women on the other hand, struggle.   I'm the only one in my family who is overweight.  The other women are normal size, but they really have to work at it,  If they gain a pound,  it takes at least a week of dieting and extreme exercise.  The men just skip lunch and they drop 5 pounds. 

Not fair.   :hard crying:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:34:58 pm »
Throw in genetics too. How your body processes what you eat is at least as important as what and how much you eat.

Missus was a size 2 when we met. She's pushing 60 now and is still size 2. Never exercises, other than work. Eats like a horse. Her body varies by about 5 pounds over the course of a year.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline the_doc

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:10 pm »
I hate to use a hackneyed expression, but a person who is training for marathons is the exception that proves the rule.  The marathoner is getting a freakish amount of exercise--so much that it would literally kill a lot of overweight people.

The AMA used to say "Burn the fats off at the gym in the flame of complex carbohydrates."  This was still being taught in medical schools in the 1990s and maybe even later.  But it is actually a preposterous oversimplification of the biochemistry of carbohydrates and of fats as well (as Dr. Barry Sears, a PhD physiologist, explained in his famous book Enter the Zone). 

I have known overweight patients who religiously followed the (old?) AMA advice and got even fatter.  The problem is that the so-called "complex carbs" are starches that are converted into sugar in the GI tract almost as soon as they hit the small intestine.   Moreover, this sugar is one of the most quickly absorbed nutrients, and it rushes into the bloodstream and raises the blood sugar levels pretty drastically.  Even a momentary elevation of the blood sugar concentration triggers the patient's pancreas to secrete insulin into the blood stream to quickly bring down the blood sugar concentration--and, unfortunately for the poor weight loss patient, one of the two main things the insulin does with the excess blood sugar is to make fat out of it.  And once that sugar is turned into fat, it is exceedingly difficult to burn it off in the gym--because the calorie burn rate is not high enough to do much good.  It takes a huge calorie deficit (exercise-plus-basal expenditure minus dietary calorie intake) of 4000 cals (if I recall the numbers correctly) to burn off a single pound of fat.  That's way more than the total daily calorie intake of most folks--so, even if daily exercise could keep up with carbs, it is a pretty bad mistake to encourage the patient to gorge himself at the potato bar at lunch ("however much you like") and tell him to go to the gym four hours later.  (Timing is also a big deal in weight loss, by the way.) 

To make the whole mess even weirder, there are many situations in which exercise will trigger the burning of muscle protein instead of fat (not a good thing!).  It turns out that we are designed to hang on to our fat for starvation times, even more so as we get older.  (This reluctance of our bodies to mobilize our fat for energy is called the girding reflex.)   

In short, the most important feature of a good weight loss program is the almost complete elimination of sugar (certain fruits excepted, but very few--and certainly no fruit juice, no bananas, and no watermelon) along with the rather severe curtailment of starchy foods (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, corn, etc.).  Exercise, although important for several reasons, is definitely secondary in importance.

BTW, it's a good idea to be under the care of a knowledgeable physician to do a serious weight loss program, because there are other health issues beyond what I have mentioned.  For example, kidney function can be compromised if the diet is too high in protein (a potential problem for some folks, especially diabetics, who try the Atkins Diet, by the way);  also severe diets may also cause inadvertent deficits of vitamins, minerals, etc.;  another problem is that a severe diet, one restricting the overall array of nutritious foods, tends to cause food intolerances ("allergies") in some patients by over-exposing the GI tract to the same foods over and over and over.

There are other issues of weight management that really good docs will know about, but most docs don't get a lot of training on nutrition (or food intolerances, either, for that matter) in medical school, in my opinion.  I believe the schooling of doctors is getting better over time, but it takes a long time for the medical establishment to come around on some of these things.  Back in the 1980s, Dr. Sears even said that if you want to figure out the best diet for a diabetic, look up the dietary recommendations of the American Diabetic Association--and do the opposite.   

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »
The worst diet advice a person can follow is Big Gov's food pyramid. The worst exercise advice a person can follow is cardio. And yes, we ladies have to put the pretty pink weights down and lift like men. You won't bulk up, buttercup, but you'll look fabulous.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »
@mountaineer

One factor is gender.  Your husband may be able to drop weight fast because he is a man, and men tend to metabolize what they eat quickly.  At least that's what I've heard.

Does seem true with the men in my family.  Dad and the men in his generation all worked jobs involving manual labor.  Even after Dad retired,  he kept busy with activities that expended calories.  Dad was a small man -- 5 feet, 4 inches and weighed around 130 pounds.   But he ate like a horse.   

My brother retired from a desk job, but he skis, shoots hoops and hikes.   He can burn up a huge meal in nothing flat. 

We women on the other hand, struggle.   I'm the only one in my family who is overweight.  The other women are normal size, but they really have to work at it,  If they gain a pound,  it takes at least a week of dieting and extreme exercise.  The men just skip lunch and they drop 5 pounds. 

Not fair.   :hard crying:

It's because men have more muscle than women.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:40:19 pm »
I hate to use a hackneyed expression, but a person who is training for marathons is the exception that proves the rule.  The marathoner is getting a freakish amount of exercise--so much that it would literally kill a lot of overweight people.

The AMA used to say "Burn the fats off at the gym in the flame of complex carbohydrates."  This was still being taught in medical schools in the 1990s and maybe even later.  But it is actually a preposterous oversimplification of the biochemistry of carbohydrates and of fats as well (as Dr. Barry Sears, a PhD physiologist, explained in his famous book Enter the Zone). 

I have known overweight patients who religiously followed the (old?) AMA advice and got even fatter.  The problem is that the so-called "complex carbs" are starches that are converted into sugar in the GI tract almost as soon as they hit the small intestine.   Moreover, this sugar is one of the most quickly absorbed nutrients, and it rushes into the bloodstream and raises the blood sugar levels pretty drastically.  Even a momentary elevation of the blood sugar concentration triggers the patient's pancreas to secrete insulin into the blood stream to quickly bring down the blood sugar concentration--and, unfortunately for the poor weight loss patient, one of the two main things the insulin does with the excess blood sugar is to make fat out of it.  And once that sugar is turned into fat, it is exceedingly difficult to burn it off in the gym--because the calorie burn rate is not high enough to do much good.  It takes a huge calorie deficit (exercise-plus-basal expenditure minus dietary calorie intake) of 4000 cals (if I recall the numbers correctly) to burn off a single pound of fat.  That's way more than the total daily calorie intake of most folks--so, even if daily exercise could keep up with carbs, it is a pretty bad mistake to encourage the patient to gorge himself at the potato bar at lunch ("however much you like") and tell him to go to the gym four hours later.  (Timing is also a big deal in weight loss, by the way.) 

To make the whole mess even weirder, there are many situations in which exercise will trigger the burning of muscle protein instead of fat (not a good thing!).  It turns out that we are designed to hang on to our fat for starvation times, even more so as we get older.  (This reluctance of our bodies to mobilize our fat for energy is called the girding reflex.)   

In short, the most important feature of a good weight loss program is the almost complete elimination of sugar (certain fruits excepted, but very few--and certainly no fruit juice, no bananas, and no watermelon) along with the rather severe curtailment of starchy foods (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, corn, etc.).  Exercise, although important for several reasons, is definitely secondary in importance.

BTW, it's a good idea to be under the care of a knowledgeable physician to do a serious weight loss program, because there are other health issues beyond what I have mentioned.  For example, kidney function can be compromised if the diet is too high in protein (a potential problem for some folks, especially diabetics, who try the Atkins Diet, by the way);  also severe diets may also cause inadvertent deficits of vitamins, minerals, etc.;  another problem is that a severe diet, one restricting the overall array of nutritious foods, tends to cause food intolerances ("allergies") in some patients by over-exposing the GI tract to the same foods over and over and over.

There are other issues of weight management that really good docs will know about, but most docs don't get a lot of training on nutrition (or food intolerances, either, for that matter) in medical school, in my opinion.  I believe the schooling of doctors is getting better over time, but it takes a long time for the medical establishment to come around on some of these things.  Back in the 1980s, Dr. Sears even said that if you want to figure out the best diet for a diabetic, look up the dietary recommendations of the American Diabetic Association--and do the opposite.

The Caveman Doc does a lot with this. There are experts emerging that claim the risks of a low carb diet are based on myths.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
The worst diet advice a person can follow is Big Gov's food pyramid. The worst exercise advice a person can follow is cardio.
I agree. The best way to lose weight (either gender) is to build muscle. The other key is portion control. That's the easiest most consistent way to alter the calories in vs. calories out ratio.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:51:31 pm »
I agree. The best way to lose weight (either gender) is to build muscle. The other key is portion control. That's the easiest most consistent way to alter the calories in vs. calories out ratio.

In my experience the calories in/calories out concept is faulty at best. It's about quality and not necessarily quantity. Think of whole foods vs. packaged, prepared foods. One could eat the appropriate amount of calories in Lean Cuisines and still gain weight vs. one who eats freshly prepared whole foods.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:22:23 am »
In my experience the calories in/calories out concept is faulty at best. It's about quality and not necessarily quantity. Think of whole foods vs. packaged, prepared foods. One could eat the appropriate amount of calories in Lean Cuisines and still gain weight vs. one who eats freshly prepared whole foods.

I'm a big fan of excess vitamins and trace minerals to cover so called calorie shortfalls. It's a fad, yeah, but something with some basis in practicality.

One of the biggest problems of being stuck at the end of the supply chain for months is, no matter how you try, you will lose significant amounts of muscle then fat, despite the recommended amount of calories being in the diet. The vits and minerals the body needs simply aren't in the food we wind up getting - fresh foods become a fondly recalled myth by week two.
By taking overdoses of vitamin and mineral supplements (nothing massive, about 300% RDA) we can slow down that problem significantly. Not stop it completely, of course, but it does extend viability by over 100% at virtually no cost in terms of added loadout weight.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »
I don't count calories. I use the pants index: If my jeans are snug, I'm too fat and it's time to walk more and cut back on the crackers and bread.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:08:00 pm »
. The other key is portion control. That's the easiest most consistent way to alter the calories in vs. calories out ratio.

Agree.  Everything in moderation. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide