Author Topic: ‘A Sense of Dread’ for Civil Servants Shaken by Trump Transition  (Read 1217 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Sense of Dread’ for Civil Servants Shaken by Trump Transition

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and ERIC LICHTBLAUFEB. 11, 2017

WASHINGTON — Across the vast federal bureaucracy, Donald J. Trump’s arrival in the White House has spread anxiety, frustration, fear and resistance among many of the two million nonpolitical civil servants who say they work for the public, not a particular president.

At the Environmental Protection Agency, a group of scientists strategized this past week about how to slow-walk President Trump’s environmental orders without being fired.

At the Treasury Department, civil servants are quietly gathering information about whistle-blower protections as they polish their résumés.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/us/politics/a-sense-of-dread-for-civil-servants-shaken-by-trump-transition.html?&_r=0
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: ‘A Sense of Dread’ for Civil Servants Shaken by Trump Transition
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
More evidence of Trump doing what conservatives have talked about for decades.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:59 pm »

They have reason to fear.  A lot of agencies will be cut out entirely or greatly reduced.  We have too many government employees, most of whom do nothing productive.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:24 pm »

If Trump/his people do not fire those 'scientists' who are not doing science. but politics, ASAP, I'd consider that a massive failure on Trump's part. If they are going to openly strategist against the admin, and it gets reported on, then they clearly need action taken against them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:40:23 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »
If Trump/his people do not fire those 'scientists' who are not doing science. but politics, ASAP, I'd consider that a massive failure on Trump's part. If they are going to openly strategist against the admin, and it gets reported on, then they clearly need action taken against them.
I believe many of those employees fall under employment rules, which favor the employee and block a new administration from firing them for much of anything.

Better to look at their actual job performance, document everything, and if they persist, over time, find reasons to dismiss them. Or offer them early retirement packages.

Government employees are a protected class. They have laws and regulations protecting them from political firings.

It is far from "employment at will."

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:50:53 pm »
I believe many of those employees fall under employment rules, which favor the employee and block a new administration from firing them for much of anything.

Better to look at their actual job performance, document everything, and if they persist, over time, find reasons to dismiss them. Or offer them early retirement packages.

Government employees are a protected class. They have laws and regulations protecting them from political firings.

It is far from "employment at will."

If the report is actually true, they have them on insubordination and misuse of company time. At minimum. But I'm sure an investigation will reveal a plethora of fireable offenses. These are leftists with an 8 year run of power.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:12:12 pm »
The premise of this entire concept is bogus.

I'm a civil servant. I work with a LOT of other civil servants. There are as many who are excited at the arrival of this new administration as there are those who are "dreading" it. More if you focus on people actually out on the front lines working to keep the nation secure.

Don't buy into this garbage that everyone in the civil service is pro-Dem...I can assure that the majority of us in Homeland are quite the opposite. Heck, the Border Patrol agents, ICE guys, the vast majority of my colleagues in the K9 world, Secret Service agents and a host of others are strongly pro-Trump...as most of us have been deeply frustrated at the many obstacles placed in our way by the previous administration that have made our jobs so difficult. The clowns that are "dreading" the new administration are specifically the elite's stationed in DC and Northern Virginia. Those of us out here in the field...doing the actual work of protecting the country...deserve better than to be linked to the Leftists seeking to undermine the President.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:14:38 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:25 pm »

I'm a civil servant. I work with a LOT of other civil servants. There are as many who are excited at the arrival of this new administration as there are those who are "dreading" it. More if you focus on people actually out on the front lines working to keep the nation secure.

Don't buy into this garbage that everyone in the civil service is pro-Dem...I can assure that the majority of us in Homeland are quite the opposite. Heck, the Border Patrol agents, ICE guys, the vast majority of my colleagues in the K9 world, Secret Service agents and a host of others are strongly pro-Trump...as most of us have been deeply frustrated at the many obstacles placed in our way by the previous administration that have made our jobs so difficult. The clowns that are "dreading" the new administration are specifically the elite's stationed in DC and Northern Virginia. Those of us out here in the field...doing the actual work of protecting the country...deserve better than to be linked to the Leftists seeking to undermine the President.

Then those of us out in civ land would request that those on the inside take a broom to their liberal fellows and clean the house? We DESERVE to be governed constitutionally, not by leftist homeowner association board rejects that managed to land a job they shouldn't have. Especially as it's us paying for it.

It sucks all around. But you have a better position to clean house than we do.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:05:35 am »

Don't buy into this garbage that everyone in the civil service is pro-Dem...I can assure that the majority of us in Homeland are quite the opposite.

I think the law enforcement types in FedGov are more inclined to be pro-defense/law and order. I have a friend that is retired Special Agent from Treasury, and he was on the Trump train very early like me.

But the great numbers in socials services, welfare, environment etc. most likely lean left.

Would you agree with that assessment?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:06:24 am »

:thumbsup:

I know a lot of government workers who are not leftist.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 04:23:36 am »
I think the law enforcement types in FedGov are more inclined to be pro-defense/law and order. I have a friend that is retired Special Agent from Treasury, and he was on the Trump train very early like me.

But the great numbers in socials services, welfare, environment etc. most likely lean left.

Would you agree with that assessment?

Completely.

I just don't like being lumped in with them....as many of us have been doing battle with them from the inside for a very LONG time.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:28:17 am »
Good! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 04:33:06 am »
   I know a couple of guys in Houston through Texas hold em that work for the Forest Service, yea right, that were on the Trump Train before I knew there even was one.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 04:41:31 am »

:thumbsup:

I know a lot of government workers who are not leftist.
:thumbsup2:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 04:42:08 am »
 :beer:
Completely.

I just don't like being lumped in with them....as many of us have been doing battle with them from the inside for a very LONG time.

:beer:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn