Author Topic: Conservative Blogger Found Guilty On 21 Counts For Self-Defense With A Firearm, Faces Up To 50 Years In Prison (Gateway Pundit)  (Read 1263 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And guess who gave press credentials to the blogsite to cover the White House...
Are you bothered by guns? Did it bother you that he was one guy, being hassled by a mob of leftists?

Did you see him moving backwards, them moving forwards?

Do you support his freedom of speech? The mob sought to deprive him of such rights.

And I assume you stand with the mob, since your posting history is almost entirely pro-liberal positions, anti-conservative positions.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Watching the video, I have trouble feeling sorry for him. He initially was the one confronting the crowd, then, they were not attacking him but marching forward. The young African American man that came into frame around the one minute mark actually tried to help by putting his arms out and holding the crowd back telling the man to step away. Around the 2 minute mark, eh pulled his gun out again when he was well away from the crowd. One could argue he was the instigator in this case.

Imagine if this was a young African American man going up to a Tea Party march, then pulling a gun out saying they were walking his way, then pulled his gun out again at them when he was well away from the crowd. He would have been jumped or worse by the crowd in the name of self-defense on their part.

He wasn't injured until after he was well away yet again and pulled the gun out yet again as people walked his way.

Self-defense requires eminent threat with, for most states, the inability to retreat.

Even in a 'stand your ground' state, the subject here displayed on several occasions that he was willing to leave the situation without risk of harm, but he, himself, chose to re-enter the situation, thus nullifying stand-your-ground.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Watching the video, I have trouble feeling sorry for him. He initially was the one confronting the crowd, then, they were not attacking him but marching forward. The young African American man that came into frame around the one minute mark actually tried to help by putting his arms out and holding the crowd back telling the man to step away. Around the 2 minute mark, eh pulled his gun out again when he was well away from the crowd. One could argue he was the instigator in this case.

Imagine if this was a young African American man going up to a Tea Party march, then pulling a gun out saying they were walking his way, then pulled his gun out again at them when he was well away from the crowd. He would have been jumped or worse by the crowd in the name of self-defense on their part.

He wasn't injured until after he was well away yet again and pulled the gun out yet again as people walked his way.

Self-defense requires eminent threat with, for most states, the inability to retreat.

Even in a 'stand your ground' state, the subject here displayed on several occasions that he was willing to leave the situation without risk of harm, but he, himself, chose to re-enter the situation, thus nullifying stand-your-ground.

Yup. YOu can't put yourself in harm's way and then claim self-defense. If you're going to tote around a gun you better be damn well sure of the consequences of what happens what you do with it. Some states are "stand your ground" but not all are. And judges won't give a bleep about your political arguments.

And now he has 50 years to think about it.

Offline ABX

Are you bothered by guns? Did it bother you that he was one guy, being hassled by a mob of leftists?

Did you see him moving backwards, them moving forwards?

Do you support his freedom of speech? The mob sought to deprive him of such rights.

And I assume you stand with the mob, since your posting history is almost entirely pro-liberal positions, anti-conservative positions.

Verbally hassled does not constitute a eminent threat to one's life, liberty, or property. His moving backwards, out of the situation, then forwards back into the situation sent a message he did not feel threatened by the situation. Pulling his gun out after he moved out of the situation (and the young African American man even helping him get out of the way by putting his hands up to the crowd) then leaving it pulled and returning back to the crowd would make him the instigator of the threat, not the one threatened.

You can't just pull out a gun every time you aren't comfortable with a situation, especially when there is not an obvious threat to your life, liberty, or property, and doubly so by returning to the situation you felt threatened by with your firearm drawn even though you had already retreated from the situation.

Sorry, but he did not act responsibly.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

#Nevertrump site sides with minority mob, and against conservative blogger. Predictable.

At the very least note 50 years is ridiculous, when people get murder and rape sentences of just a few years.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

Everything else aside, considering the actual history of violence and arrests of BLM idiots, I don't know how any court could determine there is not a reasonable expectation that ones safety/life is in danger wherever they gather.

And this is why I love living in a castle doctrine state. As an American, there is no need to 'retreat'. Nor should there ever be in a free land, by a free people.

geronl

At the very least note 50 years is ridiculous, when people get murder and rape sentences of just a few years.

2 or 3 months max I think

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Watching the video, I have trouble feeling sorry for him. He initially was the one confronting the crowd, then, they were not attacking him but marching forward. The young African American man that came into frame around the one minute mark actually tried to help by putting his arms out and holding the crowd back telling the man to step away. Around the 2 minute mark, eh pulled his gun out again when he was well away from the crowd. One could argue he was the instigator in this case. ...

Agreed.  This guy was stupid.  He picked the wrong place to stand for his right to speak and performed the wrong tactics.

That said - The sentence is beyond stupid, ridiculous, unfair and tyrannical.

The guy should be remitted to community service, and that was all.  The sentence was beyond what was called for.

Especially given how easily true and violent foreign nationals are treated and released without so much as a need to call in anywhere.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
21 counts?

The guy is a lightweight

F÷÷k 21 counts!

If you can't break a hundred, then you are not really American!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

He's not going to serve 50 years, lets put that to rest right now. A few months at most, aND far less if he has a clean record. And as as much of a supporter of a right to carry as I am, it would be hard to convince a judge or jury that he feared for his life. And that argument was blown up when he reholstered and did not flee. Instead he confronted the crowed even more, even moving closer.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

He's not going to serve 50 years, lets put that to rest right now. A few months at most, aND far less if he has a clean record. And as as much of a supporter of a right to carry as I am, it would be hard to convince a judge or jury that he feared for his life. And that argument was blown up when he reholstered and did not flee. Instead he confronted the crowed even more, even moving closer.

I agree the sentence was outrageous. I probably would have just given him a fine, maybe some service because he didn't discharge his firearm. But, as you pointed out, he doesn't have a defense for his actions. He continued to re-enter the situation with weapon drawn, making him the instigator, not someone defending himself.

Offline ABX

#Nevertrump site sides with minority mob, and against conservative blogger. Predictable.

Funny, this has nothing to do with Trump, but if you want to go down that road, I notice that it is our fellow alt-righter who views the situation through the racial component of the players (minority mob) and not the facts of the situation. The one person here to both bring up Trump and make it about race.

Offline ABX

Everything else aside, considering the actual history of violence and arrests of BLM idiots, I don't know how any court could determine there is not a reasonable expectation that ones safety/life is in danger wherever they gather.

And this is why I love living in a castle doctrine state. As an American, there is no need to 'retreat'. Nor should there ever be in a free land, by a free people.

But he did retreat, then he re-entered the situation willingly with weapon drawn. That makes him the instigator, not the victim.