Author Topic: What Is the Congressional Review Act?  (Read 504 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
What Is the Congressional Review Act?
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:53:34 pm »
In recent weeks, Congressional Republicans have voted to roll back several rules put in place during the last few months the Obama administration was in office. From striking down financial regulations to methane emissions standards, it may seem unusual that Congress can so easily roll back rules that are already in effect. But the recent change in administrations has brought an obscure 1996 law into play: the Congressional Review Act (CRA).

After any rule is passed, this little-used law gives Congress a window of 60 working days (when they are in session) to review and request repeal of any executive branch regulations, writes Stuart Shapiro at The Hill. If a rule is struck down by the CRA, that agency is then prohibited from enacting a similar rule in the future.

Typically, Federal agencies are authorized to make their own rules and regulations, enabling them to carry out their congressionally mandated mission—whether those are regulations on tobacco packaging or governing clean water. Though all rules go through a lengthy period of vetting and a period allowing public input, the CRA provides an "oversight tool" for Congress to prevent agencies from overstepping, writes Emmarie Huetteman for The New York Times.​

To overturn rules passed within that 60-day window, the act requires a simple majority in the House and Senate and a signature from the president. Since filibusters are not allowed, it serves as a way to fast track the roll back of recently passed rules.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/what-congressional-review-act-180962031/#RCySffBkepgEt1o7.99

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley