Author Topic: The Whole DAM situation (Tallest dam in US), deteriorating spillway causes lots of anxiety (UPDATE: Evacuations Ordered)  (Read 17180 times)

Offline Suppressed

The Whole DAM situation (Tallest dam in US), deteriorating spillway causes lots of anxiety
by HypostaticUnion
http://imgur.com/gallery/xHfxx
(Go to link for click-zoomable full-size pix.)

This is Oroville Dam (right) and the spillway (left). Oroville Dam is the tallest dam in the United States, 50 ft taller than Hoover. It is in Northern California in a little town called Oroville (go figure). 1 hour north of Sacramento, close to Chico, CA, 2 hours south of Redding.

During these storms, the spillway was releasing 70,000 cfs of water (cubic feet a second). Large chunks of concrete began shooting off the spillway. Water started shooting into the air at this sink hole spot.

After shutting it off, they discovered this HUGE sink hole. Speculation now is that during the years of drought, the ground pulled away from the concrete. State experts are working on the cause, but we still have BIG problems.

Just some banana dudes for scale. The lake is rising during the current storms at a rate of about 130,000 cfs. It is almost near capacity. They need to release water so the dam doesn't crest or the emergency spillway be used.

Overnight they did some water releasing tests. Bigger hole. Every goes into emergency meetings. Huge hole + powerful water = no easy solutions. Lake is still rising. Town is getting very scared. Many remember the evacuations during the 96-97 El Niño season.

A little side by side. Remember the dudes.

There is an emergency spillway but the State doesn't want to use it for a couple reasons. (1) They never have used it. (2) The water just spills over the the wall down the mountain. Lots of debris into the river could clog downriver smaller dams. (3) There is not controlling this. It is an open system, kind of like that little hole in your bathroom sink. The rate the water goes into the lake would be the rate the water goes over the emergency spillway. It could reach 200,000 cfs if it keeps raining.

THEY HAVE A PLAN - and that plan is just to use the busted up spillway at a limited capacity. This will make the concrete problem a lot worse, but will hopefully help them beat the rain. Lots of repairs late spring and early summer. As you can see, the water is rushing down side, eroding the hillside. This is about 20,000 cfs.

Here it is at about 40,000 cfs. They turned it up because it rained hard. They are seriously trying not to use the emergency spillway, but they are clearing trees now because it looks like it might be used for the first time sometime Saturday.

Memes are cropping up.

Here is my contribution.

Thank you for following our journey. The Officials say there is no imminent threat to the public. Evacuations haven't been scheduled, but all the schools are closed (for some reason). The DAM is totally fine, for now, but our town is on edge because of the weird stuff with the spillway. It has been a total paradigm shift, all of us realizing we live downstream from a potentially huge issue.

Edit by Mod1 to merge two threads and add updated information about evacuation
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:44:47 am by Mod1 »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

That one pic with the guys in the whole is what got to me...the scale of it is hard to see otherwise.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

A little grout underneath, then rebuild the reinforced concrete over the hole and it will be as good as new......

I did not see a hydro unit on this dam. With a vertical drop like that one, they could be getting some serious MW out of this dam. Kalifornicatia will need every watt it can get after they finish shutting down Diablo Canyon.

Wingnut

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
That one pic with the guys in the whole is what got to me...the scale of it is hard to see otherwise.

My first thought was oh, they have some pot holes. Then I saw that picture. That's a big hole.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

Oroville might want to start filling sandbags, lots and lots of sandbags

Wingnut

Burms too.  Build some burms!

geronl

Wingnut

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:18:30 pm by Wingnut »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

With better state management, this could/should have been anticipated.

Money probably diverted to feeding, housing, medicating illegals, instead.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
They aren't thrilled but it doesn't sound like local officials are terribly concerned about any danger downstream. More a matter of "Crap, how are we going to pay for fixing this"

http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Gaping-hole-in-spillway-for-tallest-US-dam-keeps-10922764.php

Offline thackney

A little grout underneath, then rebuild the reinforced concrete over the hole and it will be as good as new......

I did not see a hydro unit on this dam. With a vertical drop like that one, they could be getting some serious MW out of this dam. Kalifornicatia will need every watt it can get after they finish shutting down Diablo Canyon.

The spillway is generally operational only in the rainy season, as a crucial flood-control outlet. Routine water deliveries flow through a power plant at the dam.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article132154774.html

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Norm Lenhart

They aren't thrilled but it doesn't sound like local officials are terribly concerned about any danger downstream. More a matter of "Crap, how are we going to pay for fixing this"

http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Gaping-hole-in-spillway-for-tallest-US-dam-keeps-10922764.php

The last time "California officials" weren't concerned about a Dam turned out pretty bad for the people below the dam.

geronl

I hope they don't need to use the spillway. Remember, the Grand Canyon was created by water

geronl

And the power lines from the plant go right underneath the spillway's flood path.

If it erodes the ground, then the power lines could go.

When it rains, it pours....

Wingnut

And the power lines from the plant go right underneath the spillway's flood path.

Pop goes the weasel.   

Offline thackney

I hope they don't need to use the spillway. Remember, the Grand Canyon was created by water

The Department of Water Resources released a video shot by a drone over the Oroville Dam. Water is seen running over the emergency spillway as well as the main spillway. Department of Water Resources

Water flows over the 1,700-foot emergency spillway, left bottom, at Lake Oroville for the first time since the lake was built in 1968 on Saturday, February 11, 2017 in Oroville, Calif. Randy Pench rpench@sacbee.com

As emergency spillway flows, state says repairs to crippled Oroville Dam could run $200 million

Offline thackney

Saturday morning, helicopters flew back and forth over the dam area, as Pacific Gas and Electric crews worked to dismantle cables and electrical components from electrical towers on a hillside adjacent to the main spillway, concerned that they, too, could be dragged into the channel by the crashing flows.

Denny Boyles, a spokesman for PG&E, said the work was being done in “an abundance of caution” to minimize materials that might get sucked into the river if the land around the towers is eroded by the powerful flows.

Unlike the main spillway, which is lined in concrete, the emergency spillway dumps water onto an open hillside. DWR officials had worked feverishly in recent days to try to lower reservoir levels enough to avoid overtopping the emergency structure, concerned that the outflows would scour the hillside, dumping additional trees, mud and debris into the Feather River. Work crews spent Thursday and Friday removing some of the trees from the ravine below the emergency spillway as a contingency.

Cal Fire spokesman Mike Smith said DWR officials had laid out floating structures known as booms in the waterways to catch debris.

Online mountaineer

Berma Shave?

I think not!    :police:
I don't believe more shaving cream is the solution!  22222frying pan
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jpsb

I wonder how many sand bags you would need to stop a 700' tall wall of water traveling at 100 mph. Any one?

Offline thackney

I wonder how many sand bags you would need to stop a 700' tall wall of water traveling at 100 mph. Any one?

The dam is not at risk of failure.  The spillway is a separate structure and the emergency spillway is even farther apart.

Offline jpsb

The dam is not at risk of failure.  The spillway is a separate structure and the emergency spillway is even farther apart.

OK, hope you're right.

Offline thackney

OK, hope you're right.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article132154774.htm

Kevin Dossey, a DWR engineer, said Friday that additional cracks had appeared in the main spillway as recently as 2013 but also were repaired. With water hitting the concrete chute at an estimated 50 mph, "spillway erosion is a natural thing," he said.

The spillway has had nearly half a century of fast moving water eroding the surface.  The dam holds back nearly unmoving water.  The erosion on the spillway is not related to the dam.

geronl

Saturday morning, helicopters flew back and forth over the dam area, as Pacific Gas and Electric crews worked to dismantle cables and electrical components from electrical towers on a hillside adjacent to the main spillway, concerned that they, too, could be dragged into the channel by the crashing flows.

They're working fast.