Author Topic: Republican TX State Senator Konni Burton fires back at Trump, sheriff over civil asset forfeiture  (Read 926 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Knowing Konnie, you don't want to cross her. She is a pit bull when it comes to defending Constitutional rights and individual liberty.

....Sen. Burton fired back at the president and Eavenson over the comments accusing her of somehow being soft on crime because of her defense of property rights:

More from Sen. Burton, who is backing a bill to reform the law:

To this end, I am filing a major reform package which keeps asset forfeiture in the toolbox of law enforcement but creates reasonable protections for citizens, requires proper reporting on the use of forfeiture, and raises the legal standard for the government to engage in the taking of property. Property rights are the foundation of any free system of government, and we have allowed the government to erode them in the name of law and order. We must do better and I intend to lead the charge......

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/02/08/republican-tx-state-senator-konni-burton-fires-back-at-trump-sheriff-over-civil-asset-forfeiture/

geronl

She does not mention Trump or "fires back at him" at all.

Offline ABX

She does not mention Trump or "fires back at him" at all.

There is more at the link, specifically a screenshot of a statement I didn't include. She actually took aim at the Sheriff and the overall conversation with Trump, not him specifically. She stayed focused though on the issue, didn't make it personal unlike other politicians who shall remain nameless.

geronl

Her statement was very well done and professional

Offline Suppressed

Good for her!  Civil forfeiture is evil. We should be requiring convictions.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

Good for her!  Civil forfeiture is evil. We should be requiring convictions.

I'm worried what will be in the EO's signed today on the heels of this coming up the other day. Today's EOs specifically addressed going after the cartels and crime, all good if it doesn't violate the Constitution. However, it seems they have the propensity to push the Constitution aside for fast results that have good optics.

Offline ABX

By the way, for those who don't know, Konnie Burton is the State Senator who beat Wendy Davis like a rented mule for her seat.

Wingnut

By the way, for those who don't know, Konnie Burton is the State Senator who beat Wendy Davis like a rented mule for her seat.

Ah Yes.  Abortion Wendy!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:09:26 pm by Wingnut »

Offline ABX

Ah Yes.  Abortion Wendy!

Konnie wore these boots on her first day to counter Wendy's high heel meme. (if it is hard to read, the boots say "Stand For Life")

Offline anubias

Good for Burton.    ^-^