Author Topic: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 01:36:01 pm »
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Trump is already attacking Blumenthal over it for lying. Never mind that Gorsuch's own spokesman confirmed it.

BTW if we've got to have a draft dodger for a president is it asking so much that he be bright enough to avoid attacking others for the same.

Oceander

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Who's this Blumenthal asswipe again?

Seems if the meeting was closed door, he's shouldn't be flapping his gums at reporters afterwards.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Seems if the meeting was closed door, he's shouldn't be flapping his gums at reporters afterwards.

Attacking the messenger?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

He's a sleazy slimey Dem hack Senator from Connecticut who did indeed lie about his Vietnam War service.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Attacking the messenger?

When they are running their mouth out of turn - always.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 02:01:42 pm »
Trump is already attacking Blumenthal over it for lying. Never mind that Gorsuch's own spokesman confirmed it.

BTW if we've got to have a draft dodger for a president is it asking so much that he be bright enough to avoid attacking others for the same.

He's attacking the guy for lying about serving in Vietnam.  Something which Trump hasn't lied about.   He did compare his promiscuity to his own personal Vietnam but like many rich privileged kids he didn't actually serve.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 02:07:55 pm »
Because he didn't rewrite it.  He interpreted it according to its substance.  That is precisely what judges do.  It is precisely what judges are supposed to do.

No what he did was change the mandate into a tax.  He made a penalty enforced regulation into a simple tax.  That's not his job.  He rewrote the law so he could rule favorably.

And lets not forget that the bill that he was ruling on was unconstitutional to begin with since it originated in the Senate and NOT the House where it should have.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2017, 02:09:10 pm »

Trump really...REALLY needs to watch what he says to anyone about not serving in Vietnam...lest his own words on the subject come back to bite him in a major way.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2017, 02:09:11 pm »
Yeah I don't know a single conservative who was happy with the Roberts obamacare decisions.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »
It was intentional manipulation to start calling it all fake news and it worked. Its the same alinskyite tactic as using the term "So called judges" to minimize and delegitimize them. Its all about making Trump the ultimate authority on all things no matter how wrong he is or how big the lie he tells.

He's a political Jim Jones and had gotten people to abandon conservatism the same way Jim Jones got people to abandon their families..

Well said, CC.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frandia

Eh?

What you think you are getting is not always what you actually get.

Offline Frandia

That was the first thing that struck me about the story.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »
And lets not forget that the bill that he was ruling on was unconstitutional to begin with since it originated in the Senate and NOT the House where it should have.

I've heard that talking point for years.  But did the dissent cite that as a reason for holding the ACA individual mandate unconstitutional?   

Roberts upheld the mandate as a tax because the amount of the penalty (less than $1,000 for most folks) as compared to the cost of health insurance (several times that) did not compel private behavior.   Taxes routinely are designed (rightly or wrongly, but Constitutionally) to effect social policy, to encourage desired behavior.

Now I understand (and agree with) the conservative objection to the use of tax laws to effect social policy.  But the solution is for the legislature to change such laws, not for the court to proclaim from on high their unconstitutionality.   This all boils down to the proper roles of elected representatives and unelected judges.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2017, 02:26:35 pm »
I've heard that talking point for years.  But did the dissent cite that as a reason for holding the ACA individual mandate unconstitutional?   

Roberts upheld the mandate as a tax because the amount of the penalty (less than $1,000 for most folks) as compared to the cost of health insurance (several times that) did not compel private behavior.   Taxes routinely are designed (rightly or wrongly, but Constitutionally) to effect social policy, to encourage desired behavior.

Now I understand (and agree with) the conservative objection to the use of tax laws to effect social policy.  But the solution is for the legislature to change such laws, not for the court to proclaim from on high their unconstitutionality.   This all boils down to the proper roles of elected representatives and unelected judges.   

Not even the Dems were calling it a Tax until Roberts suddenly declared that a penalty was a tax...then they jumped on it when they realized he was helping them out.

The whole argument about tax or penalty etc SHOULD be moot since harry Reid and the Dems in the Senate tricked everyone to even get Obamacare up for a vote.

They took a spending bill that had been (legally) passed in the House...stripped the entire bill of it's original language...in its place inserted what we now know as the ACA and the voted on it.  The Senators voted to approve a bill that was never passed by the House in the first place.  Which is one of the reasons that not a single Republican voted for it.

All tax bills have to by law have to originate in the House of Representatives.  This one didn't.  And it should have been struck down as unconstitutional based soley on that fact.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Coming from Blumenthal, this is worthless.  He is not entitled to be believed regarding anything.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
So friggin what!

Another tempest in a tea pot!  What difference does it make what he said in a PRIVATE conversation with a known Communist er I mean democrat Senator?

NONE what-so-ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »

All tax bills have to by law have to originate in the House of Representatives.  This one didn't.  And it should have been struck down as unconstitutional based soley on that fact.

You didn't answer my question.  There was a dissent to the Roberts opinion.   Was that cited by the dissent as a reason for the ACA's unconstitutionality?   

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
How the hell does the WSJ know what was said?  Were they there?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »
Yeah I don't know a single conservative who was happy with the Roberts obamacare decisions.

I was a lone traitor who openly asked questions about Roberts at TOS. Its amazing how quickly those who had attacked me for it changed their tune with the Roberts Obamacare decision.

Unfortunately its hardly the first time I watched conservatives around me turn 180 degrees and attack the very position they held often only days before.

When Justice Alito spoke up during Obama's SOTU address when Obama attacked the citizens united ruling, (that conservatives loved) conservatives cheered. Yet when Trump came along and started attacking the big money in politics, those former citizens united fans morphed into little Harry Reid clones attacking those filthy rich guys who buy politicians. Cruz borrowed a half million dollars from Goldman Sachs and paid back, so that meant he was owned by GS, the most evil bank on the planet. Then they conveniently went blind when Trump started grabbing GS executives for his administration. Trump borrows 9 figures from George Soros but that doesn't mean Soros owns him for some unexplainable reason.

Its an absolute fact that I could not live with that kind of deep moral cowardice. I'd suck a gunbarrel before I'd let that kind of metaphysical rape happen to me again and again and again.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:37:09 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:51 pm »
So friggin what!

Another tempest in a tea pot!  What difference does it make what he said in a PRIVATE conversation with a known Communist er I mean democrat Senator?

NONE what-so-ever!

What's significant is that Judge Gorsuch demonstrated that he'll be an independent jurist,  and not take orders from Trump.   I can't recall another instance where a Supreme Court nominee criticized the President who appointed him.   But we're in uncharted waters, folks, for the next four years.   

Bottom line is that Trump's entitled to his worshippers, just so long as they're not sitting on the courts.   

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
Gotta take of the Rose colored glasses don.

Seriously.

While I give him low style points, the substance is what matters. What is the substantive mistake related to topic we are discussing?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
So friggin what!

NONE what-so-ever!

On npr interview, Blumenthal was not satisfied with with Gorsuch's comments (that he leaked). Said they not go far enough.

Silver Pines

He's a sleazy slimey Dem hack Senator from Connecticut who did indeed lie about his Vietnam War service.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I don't know anything about Blumenthal or whether he served in Vietnam or not.  However, I was reading on Ben Shapiro's Twitter; he retweeted a claim that Trump lied.  Again, not knowing the answer myself, I went hunting, and found this:

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/richard-blumenthal-vietnam-service-did-lie-about-serving-in-military-donald-trump-quote-report/

"After The New York Times reported on the 2008 speech, Politico reported that the story was missing some vital context: that Blumenthal had said towards the beginning of that same speech that he “served in the military during the Vietnam era in the Marine Corps,” which is an accurate characterization.

In addition, The Day reported that after viewing years of Blumenthal speeches and political debates, they found that Blumenthal typically specified that his service was in the Marine Corps Reserve, not Vietnam, and in some instances he explicitly said he did not serve in Vietnam.

On one such occasion reported by The Day, Blumenthal said during a Democratic primary debate, “Although I did not serve in Vietnam, I have seen first-hand the effects of military action.”

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »
What's significant is that Judge Gorsuch demonstrated that he'll be an independent jurist,  and not take orders from Trump.   I can't recall another instance where a Supreme Court nominee criticized the President who appointed him.   But we're in uncharted waters, folks, for the next four years.   

Bottom line is that Trump's entitled to his worshippers, just so long as they're not sitting on the courts.

First paragraph, I'm thinking, "Wow. I am going to agree with @Jazzhead here."

Then that second paragraph.
 **nononono*

What is up with that? The threads I am following do not give any backup for it.