Author Topic: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'  (Read 12054 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
Yes, and he is especially vindictive against those he feels he has bought favors from, and they don't fall in line.  Watch out for the flamethrower the first time Gorsuch slaps Trump down.

Sadly...we all should have seen this coming from his attack on the judge in California who was presiding over the lawsuit against Trump University.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »
Sadly...we all should have seen this coming from his attack on the judge in California who was presiding over the lawsuit against Trump University.

We all did see it coming.  It was totally predictable (and widely predicted here and elsewhere).

Lucky for Gorsuch he doesn't deal in ladies' clothing on the side.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »
We all did see it coming.  It was totally predictable (and widely predicted here and elsewhere).

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oceander

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:10 pm »

That we did.  And when we warned against it, we were reviled.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2017, 07:45:49 pm »
Let's at least observe some courtesy to ping members we mention.
@Bigun

@don-o

No worries!  I can't see a thing he writes unless someone repeats it.  Wasted FAR too much of my time with his circular arguments already!

Besides I like him MUCH better on ignore!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2017, 08:12:15 pm »

Reduced to quibbling over Trump foot faults rather than contemplating what three weeks of Hillary would have had us.

UNbelievable.

:banghead:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2017, 08:24:40 pm »
Reduced to quibbling over Trump foot faults

Foot faults?  :silly: More like past actions indicating future behavior.

But you keep telling yourself it's a "foot fault".

rather than contemplating what three weeks of Hillary would have had us.

UNbelievable.

:banghead:

No...I'm thinking about how much more he could have accomplished in his first three weeks if he'd been acting like a grown up.

Instead he focused on dumbsh*t like trashing judges and poor mouthing a business for dumping his daughters over priced clothing line.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:14 pm »

No...I'm thinking about how much more he could have accomplished in his first three weeks if he'd been acting like a grown up.

QFT. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frandia

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:10 pm »
Foot faults?  :silly: More like past actions indicating future behavior.

But you keep telling yourself it's a "foot fault".

Instead he focused on dumbsh*t like trashing judges and poor mouthing a business for dumping his daughters over priced clothing line.

And look how much he DID accomplish in spite of himself.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:52 pm »

That's completely true.

Instead he focused on dumbsh*t like trashing judges....

But I don't think that is.

The reality is that in this country, the courts don't just render decisions, they actually have the effect of shaping public opinion.  That has been incredibly apparent with things like gay marriage.  And that's exactly what is going on here -- the press is jumping on this decision as a way to sway public opinion.  "See, our venerable courts have concluded that this is wrong, so it must be wrong."

It is certainly sad that we've come to this point, but given that reality, I think it is perfectly proper for the President to discredit the court at issue.  Frankly, the decision itself warrants that.

Offline jpsb

The fact that Blumenthal did not specifically say in every speech that he served in Vietnam does not erase all the times he claimed he did exactly that.

He admits to "misspeaking":

"Unaware of those misplaced words"????  What kind of mealy-mouthed b.s is that? The man repeatedly claimed to have having served in Vietnam when he did not -- that's simply inarguable.  The fact that he didn't always lie about it in every speech doesn't lessen his guilt.   Among my group of vets, lying about having served in a combat zone is a cardinal sin.  And it is not something you do accidentally unless you're 75 years old and losing your marbles.  In which case, "Chesty" Blumenthal has no business in the U.S. Senate.

I absolutely despise those men low enough to have lied about things like that.  Particularly when they tried to weasel-dick their way around serving in-country via 5 different deferments.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I am a USMC Vietnam era vet (enlisted not drafted). I also make it clear that I was never sent to Nam. I did volunteer to go but I got sent to Gitmo (Cuba) instead. Why would anyone volunteer to go to Nam? Try during garrison duty here in the USA as a PFC. After a few months of picking up cigarette butts in the parking lot all day and walking guard duty all night you will volunteer for any thing. After a couple of years in Gitmo I did a med cruse. Then it was back to the world, Yipee!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:17:49 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:30 pm »
The low brow low class tweets.  They are beneath the office he now holds...this isn't the freaking Apprentice...it's the Presidency.  And his ill conceived attack on the judiciary is disturbing to even his SCOTUS pick.  That right there should be enough to give him pause to think about what he's doing.

But since this isn't the first time he's attacked a judge overseeing a case he's involved in it's obvious he'll never learn things like self restraint and decorum.

What is disturbing is the complete and total disregard most of the judiciary has for our constitution. They deserve no respect and Trump well within his rights to trash them at every opportunity. In fact I think he is going to easy on them.

The judiciary needs to be broken and then put back together, then maybe they will start doing their jobs. I've had it with their constant legislating from the bench.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »
I see this crap posted on twitter again this morning. Its been floating around twitter for months despite being debunked by the actress herself (Samara Weaving) who was in make up for a role in Ash Vs The Evil Dead.

There is a lot of mis information on twitter I have leaned (the hard way) to always verify before I believe anything I read on twitter. Excepts are when I know the source can be trusted. Laura Ingraham for example.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »

Yes Hillary would have been much better /s

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:22 pm »
What is disturbing is the complete and total disregard most of the judiciary has for our constitution. They deserve no respect and Trump well within his rights to trash them at every opportunity. In fact I think he is going to easy on them.

The judiciary needs to be broken and then put back together, then maybe they will start doing their jobs. I've had it with their constant legislating from the bench.

The judiciary is simply doing its job as part of our Constitutional system.  The issue here is the extent of Presidential power.   Most here applauded the Courts when they refused to allow President Obama to grant blanket amnesty to the so-called "dreamers".   Well, the door swings both ways.   I respected the Courts when they reined in Obama, and I will respect the Courts if and when they do the same damn thing to President Trump.   Our President is not a dictator - he has enumerated powers and it's the Court's job enforce the Constitutional limitations on such powers.   

Let's step back, too, and recognize that no court has yet decided the issue on the merits.  All they've done so far is address a temporary stay to prevent folks from being harmed while the legality of the "travel ban" (actually a travel moratorium)  is being decided.   Courts do that all the time, as well they should.   There were hundreds if not thousands of "little folks"  caught up in the hastily-conceived and executed travel ban - folks who had valid visas or even green cards, who had played by the rules and acted in good faith reliance on those rules,  and who were without warning turned away and forced to return from where they came.   

That's injustice and real harm, by most folks' standards, and that's why courts exist, to prevent such injustice and temper such harm.   Trump will get his day in court on the merits - but in the meantime, no one should be shocked and surprised that the Ninth Circuit refused to lift the temporary stay.           
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:04:16 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:59 pm »
I'm not shocked how the liberal courts ruled and granted, President Trump should have never trashed the judge/court ... but as President (going by what I've been told in here and have read) he does have full authority when it comes to National Security.  His duty is to protect the CITIZENS of this country and that's what he's trying to do and a judge from a lower court plays God and makes a ruling for the entire country, tying his hands. When we have our next terrorist attack on this country, the left will then accuse Trump of having prior knowledge and not acting!

Comparing this to Bammy's amnesty isn't the same ... Bammy wasn't granting amnesty to protect our citizenry but to overwhelm the system and to sway the upcoming vote.  Big difference.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:04:54 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2017, 05:07:12 pm »
The judiciary is simply doing its job as part of our Constitutional system.  The issue here is the extent of Presidential power.   Most here applauded the Courts when they refused to allow President Obama to grant blanket amnesty to the so-called "dreamers".   Well, the door swings both ways.  I respected the Courts when they reined in Obama, and I will respect the Courts if and when they do the same damn thing to President Trump.   Our President is not a dictator - he has enumerated powers and it's the Court's job enforce the Constitutional limitations on such powers.

Your argument ignores the critical question of which side is actually right on those issues.  I understand "you win some, you lose some".  I thought Kennedy and Roberts were both wrong on the two ObamaCare decisions, but that wasn't judicial overreach.  It's their job to interpret statutes, and at least their rulings could be trumped by Congress and the President if they so chose.  This decision, though, actually takes a power expressly granted to the Congress by the Constitution, with a partial, express delegation by Congress to the President on certain issues, and now assigns it the Judiciary.  It's a perversion of separation of powers. 

Let's step back, too, and recognize that no court has yet decided the issue on the merits.

But that doesn't matter.  That's the real evil of this decision.  The President's action was a temporary, short-term measure to determine if security was sufficient.  A TRO/temporary injunction actually destroys that, regardless of how the Supreme Court subsequently rules.  You cannot get back the period of time during which dangerous people may be entering the country.  That effects of Ninth Circuit's decision cannot be cured by a subsequent Supreme Court ruling.

That's exactly why the courts have previously exercised complete deference on matters of immigration, because Congress' power over immigration is plenary and hence should not be subject to judicial oversight, period.

All they've done so far is address a temporary stay to prevent folks from being harmed while the legality of the "travel ban" (actually a travel moratorium)  is being decided.   Courts do that all the time, as well they should.

No.  Courts never, ever have done that with respect to immigration, and for very good reasons .  Prior to this case, the power had uniformly been considered plenary because judicial review is insufficient to protect the national interest, and the Supreme Court has recognized that the judiciary lacks sufficient expertise in the area of national security.  There is also the issue of lack of standing.

Look, suppose the President had very reliable information that terrorists with a biological weapon were going to enter the U.S. on a Yemeni passport sometimes within the next week, and so freezes all immigration of any kind by Yemenis.  And some district court judge somewhere issues an order saying "eh, I don't think that's fair.  I'm going to overrule that."  Having a circuit court or the Supreme Court overrule that decision a few days later does not cure that flawed ruling because it is entirely possible that such a person entered the country during the period of the TRO.

Now you may say "well, that's not the situation here", but that's irrelevant.  By granting to the judiciary the power to rule on these issues at all, you are granting to them the power to issue TRO's under every set of facts, and its only on appeal that it might get straightened out.

There were hundreds if not thousands of "little folks"  caught up in the hastily-conceived and executed travel ban - folks who had valid visas or even green cards, who had played by the rules and acted in good faith reliance on those rules,  and who were without warning turned away and forced to return from where they came.

So what?  You're arguing that the policy is mean-spirited and works a hardship -- which is a completely different question from whether it is unconstitutional.

And do you even understand what the court ordered?  It didn't just permit those already in transit to complete their trip, nor was it limited just to green card recipients being able to return home -- the Administration had already said they could.  The court actually required the granting of new visas and continued granting of refugee status to people still sitting at home in their own countries.  The whole issue of "people being stuck" is utter B.S. when you examine the scope of the Court's order.  The decision is absolutely breathtaking in scope.

That's injustice and real harm, by most folks' standards, and that's why courts exist, to prevent such injustice and temper such harm.

Oh good grief.  No, that's not why they exist.  They exist to interpret the law, even if the law is unjust, harmful, or mean
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:32:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2017, 05:09:19 pm »
I'm not shocked how the liberal courts ruled and granted, President Trump should have never trashed the judge/court ... but as President (going by what I've been told in here and have read) he does have full authority when it comes to National Security.  His duty is to protect the CITIZENS of this country and that's what he's trying to do and a judge from a lower court plays God and makes a ruling for the entire country, tying his hands. When we have our next terrorist attack on this country, the left will then accuse Trump of having prior knowledge and not acting!

Comparing this to Bammy's amnesty isn't the same ... Bammy wasn't granting amnesty to protect our citizenry but to overwhelm the system and to sway the upcoming vote.  Big difference.

There is absolutely no legitimate dispute -- none -- that the President was completely within the express delegation of authority granted to him by Congress.  I defy anyone here to read that statute and make that argument.  There was such a dispute as to whether Obama granting class-wide legal status subverted legislative intent.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2017, 05:27:27 pm »
The judiciary is simply doing its job as part of our Constitutional system. 

@Jazzhead

I see someone else rebutted your argument so I'll just say thank you for taking the time to read my comment and respond.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:27:56 pm by jpsb »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2017, 05:53:26 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread, but what Congress should do is strip lower courts of jurisdiction to hear these kind of cases at all, and vest that power solely with the Supreme Court The idea that just 1 of 650+ federal district court judges can control immigration into this country is an obscenity, and a perversion of separation of powers.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread, but what Congress should do is strip lower courts of jurisdiction to hear these kind of cases at all, and vest that power solely with the Supreme Court The idea that just 1 of 650+ federal district court judges can control immigration into this country is an obscenity, and a perversion of separation of powers.

I agree.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2017, 06:14:51 pm »
Well if this is the way this dude feels about it, he can certainly pull his name from nomination, otherwise he can sit the hell down and shut up.

Definitely a bad time to insert himself into the discussion.  Lost some respect for him over this.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17:16 pm »

Totally agree.  Judges have become way too political and have apparently forgotten that their job is to interpret the law based on precedents and the constitution and not their personal political beliefs.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2017, 06:21:58 pm »

If Trump was in anyway at fault in this action, it was that he should have laid more groundwork to explain to the stupid class that he was doing this because the countries named have zero background on these people...so they should be held until they can be vetted by our people.  Just common sense.

I think Trump is on a fast track to do the things he promised and a little impatient to get going on them..Not a bad thing.

geronl

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »
Totally agree.  Judges have become way too political and have apparently forgotten that their job is to interpret the law based on precedents and the constitution and not their personal political beliefs.

That is the philosophy of Judge Gorsuch