Author Topic: Trump's Message to the Courts: Even 'A Bad High School Student' Would Understand the Law in Question  (Read 6642 times)

Offline r9etb

There certainly are worse analogies than Lincoln and the Civil War for what is happening now.

Maybe there are worse analogies... but not many, and they probably involve goats.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Nope.  I was pointing out how Norm was calling for a dictator.  And others are suggesting that Trump rule by fiat by declaring this a "national security matter."

Well I think it *is*  a national security matter,  and I think he has the absolute legal authority to do what he has done.   

I don't want a dictator,  but I do want a President that will fight within his proper legal scope to repair a lot of the damage that Democrats have done over the years,   not the least of which is letting potentially dangerous people into our nation. 

It's not Trump I'm worried about, it's the people who think such things are a good idea.

I don't think any of us are advocating dictatorship.    I think a lot of us have a tendency to conflate disagreement between ourselves with someone advocating the most extreme example of the opposite position. (Sometimes referred to as the "straw man" tactic. )     

It's another case of " You don't like Apple pie?  So why do you hate mothers?"   And Why do you hate America? "

People often extrapolate too far regarding something someone said. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

Well I think it *is*  a national security matter,  and I think he has the absolute legal authority to do what he has done.   

I don't want a dictator,  but I do want a President that will fight within his proper legal scope to repair a lot of the damage that Democrats have done over the years,   not the least of which is letting potentially dangerous people into our nation. 

I don't think any of us are advocating dictatorship.    I think a lot of us have a tendency to conflate disagreement between ourselves with someone advocating the most extreme example of the opposite position. (Sometimes referred to as the "straw man" tactic. )     

It's another case of " You don't like Apple pie?  So why do you hate mothers?"   And Why do you hate America? "

In this case it happened because someone is ignorant of the actual powers available to use by the President.

Offline r9etb

Hey, I asked the guy and he doubled down.  As did you, for that matter.

Offline Norm Lenhart

No, 'he' explained what you clearly missed through ignorance.

But if you would like to explain how a President as Commander and Chief does not have the constitutional authority to determine what is and is not a threat to national security and act to secure the country, but a judge does when the constitution vests the authority in the President, not the judicial, You go right on ahead and explain it to the class.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Can you provide the cite?

Look up "plenary," which is the word used in the measure, describing the type of power the President alone holds under this law.

Then explain it all to us, again.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DiogenesLamp

You are characterizing us as having "doubled down"  on your asserted premise of our positions. 

We may not agree with you that our positions are as you say,  and therefore we could hardly "double down"  on what you have accused us of.   

I'll state for the record,   I oppose dictatorship.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

Look up "plenary," which is the word used in the measure, describing the type of power the President alone holds under this law.

Then explain it all to us, again.

I asked for a cite to the law in question, which is supposedly clear.

Offline Norm Lenhart

You are characterizing us as having "doubled down"  on your asserted premise of our positions. 

We may not agree with you that our positions are as you say,  and therefore we could hardly "double down"  on what you have accused us of.   

I'll state for the record,   I oppose dictatorship.

The poster is losing this same argument on two threads I see so far. Neither of us called for dictatorship, both of us clearly laid out the hows and whys.

This is simply someone unwilling to admit they were wrong on the internet and who keeps repeating falsity as truth hoping someone lurking believes it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Make no mistake here.

Should President Trump...(I love typing that) ignore the 9th Circuit appeal and overrule, the Democrats will immediately draw up Articles of Impeachment.

Together with a rabid left-wing media/Hollywood outrage and of course, violence in the street brought into your living room...who the hell would want to be Donald Trump?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

Make no mistake here.

Should President Trump...(I love typing that) ignore the 9th Circuit appeal and overrule, the Democrats will immediately draw up Articles of Impeachment.

Together with a rabid left-wing media/Hollywood outrage and of course, violence in the street brought into your living room...who the hell would want to be Donald Trump?

I don't think PRESIDENT TRUMP (just for you DC) will ignore the 9th Circuit court.  Does anyone know if the Attorney General can step in and override the appeal? Seems to me Holder manipulated a few things ... if not I think this will go all the way to the Supreme Court.  Hopefully time is on President Trump's side and Sessions and Gorsuch will be in place.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Make no mistake here.

Let them draw up all the articles of impeachment they want and let's see how far they get with that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I don't think PRESIDENT TRUMP (just for you DC) will ignore the 9th Circuit court.  Does anyone know if the Attorney General can step in and override the appeal? Seems to me Holder manipulated a few things ... if not I think this will go all the way to the Supreme Court.  Hopefully time is on President Trump's side and Sessions and Gorsuch will be in place.

No he cannot!  Period! End of sentence!  But what the court renders is simply an OPINION!  They have NO power to enforce it on anyone!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

No he cannot!  Period! End of sentence!  But what the court renders is simply an OPINION!  They have NO power to enforce it on anyone!

Thank you for the information.  888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Let them draw up all the articles of impeachment they want and let's see how far they get with that!

LOL. Hear hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I'm breathing easier...BP down, after reading your POV, @Bigun     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm breathing easier...BP down, after reading your POV, @Bigun     :beer:

Good! I'm glad!  :beer: :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

The courts do control federal marshals I believe. Be of the reasons for the famous Andrew Jackson is that the courts choose not to dispense the marshals.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The courts do control federal marshals I believe. Be of the reasons for the famous Andrew Jackson is that the courts choose not to dispense the marshals.

I'm pretty sure that U. S. Marshals are a part of the DOJ.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm pretty sure that U. S. Marshals are a part of the DOJ.

They are but according to Wikipedia they basically carry out orders of the court.

Online Hoodat

I wish we had a President who understood the law in question.  I know bad high school students who could have put up a more effective legal argument than did Trump's lawyer.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

They are but according to Wikipedia they basically carry out orders of the court.

Yep!  For so.long as the boss @ DOJ says they can.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

And yet, laws are overturned, legal consequences are bestowed, and all the rest.  Congress bows to the Courts' will, as does the president, as do you.  It's preposterous to say the courts have no power.

I suspect you and others are really just trying to make an abysmally stupid argument about how Trump can ignore the court if he disagrees.

Yeah, that's a great result.  Sheesh.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Yep!  For so.long as the boss @ DOJ says they can.

I want to see the Fed Marsh that walks up to the president to arrest him on orders from a 9th circuit judge.

Let me rephrase...I want to see if they can find the pieces of that FedMarsh after he he injests several hunderd lead snacks from the Secret Service.

Billl Olinton showed that a president cannot be 'Arrested' like Bob down at the bar.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:52:20 am by Norm Lenhart »