Author Topic: (Topic Deleted)  (Read 3136 times)

Scutter

(Topic Deleted)
« on: February 07, 2017, 06:17:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:24:01 am by Scutter »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: ATF Whitepaper Leaked (Good news!)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »
Why tweak existing rulings and laws?

Repeal the NFA and GCA68.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:30:13 pm »
Two key improvements. Removing arm brace* classification from defining a short barrel rifle (thus NFA restricted). This has always been controversial.
The second, simplifying suppressor purchasing stamp process. It is out-dated and mostly based on pop culture views of what suppressors are and what they are used for. (I wonder if I can get a refund on the $200 tax stamp).

Basically, if the ATF considers the brace to be something that could touch the shoulder, they consider it a short barrel rifle versus a handgun.  The one pictured above and so-called 'cheek stabilizers' are what has been controversial.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:51 pm »
Cheek weld - Weapon Good.

Touches shoulder - Evil NFA Weapon.

Do away with the total idiocy of the NFA.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »

The second, simplifying suppressor purchasing stamp process. It is out-dated and mostly based on pop culture views of what suppressors are and what they are used for. (I wonder if I can get a refund on the $200 tax stamp).

his surge in demand has caused ATF to have a significant backlog on silencer applications. ATF’s processing time is now approximately 8 months.

Wow, I had no idea it had gotten that backed up.  Although I guess I am glad to see that many helping make this a more common item.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
Cheek weld - Weapon Good.

Touches shoulder - Evil NFA Weapon.

Do away with the total idiocy of the NFA.

There are so many asinine rules in the NFA, it is crazy. I have a MAC11  front light attachment I can't put on it because the ATF could (emphasis on could) consider that a foregrip. It is not made as a foregrip, but could appear as one to the wrong agent at the wrong time. It is a great safety feature for using it as home defense, but alas, I can't attach it. 

What appears to be a handle is actually a battery compartment. Example:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »
Judge: SIG SAUER’s MPX “Muzzle Brake” Is Actually a Silencer

Is the extensive muzzle brake permanently attached to the end of one version of the MPX’s barrel a muzzle brake or a “silencer”? The battle between SIG SAUER and the ATF has been raging for months. SIG SAUER’s position: it’s a muzzle brake. The part doesn’t reduce the noise of the gun in the slightest.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/09/foghorn/judge-rules-sig-sauers-mpx-muzzle-brake-is-actually-a-silencer/

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:50:43 pm »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:51:08 pm »
There are so many asinine rules in the NFA, it is crazy. I have a MAC11  front light attachment I can't put on it because the ATF could (emphasis on could) consider that a foregrip. It is not made as a foregrip, but could appear as one to the wrong agent at the wrong time. It is a great safety feature for using it as home defense, but alas, I can't attach it. 

What appears to be a handle is actually a battery compartment.
You need some sort of handle on the front of that thing. A shipmate of mine was going to put a dummy silencer can on the front of his FA MAC10. He was afraid one day he'd shoot the tip of his finger off. His brother went with a silencer on his FA MAC11. He carried it in a shoulder holster as his concealed carry Off-Duty weapon.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
moving this to  Shooting Sports/2nd Amend Rights
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:31 pm »
Wow, I had no idea it had gotten that backed up.  Although I guess I am glad to see that many helping make this a more common item.

States legalizing suppressors for hunting really shot up the backlog. We have helicopter hog hunts here and you can't go up in some without a suppressor.  Luckily we do have some 'trusts' around here that technically own NFA firearms like these specifically for hunting as long as you are in the trust. (costs a pretty penny but does allow easier access versus each individual member going through the process).

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:59:42 pm »
You need some sort of handle on the front of that thing. A shipmate of mine was going to put a dummy silencer can on the front of his FA MAC10. He was afraid one day he'd shoot the tip of his finger off. His brother went with a silencer on his FA MAC11. He carried it in a shoulder holster as his concealed carry Off-Duty weapon.

That was very much a concern on mine. I do have a barrel extension to keep it just under NFA length without going through the expense of a suppressor stamp on that.

Mrs AB shooting it without the extension tube, you can see just how short that barrel is. Dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »
Do you think that the NFA weapon owners are resistant to the repeal of the NFA of 1934 or the 86 Hughes Amendment?

Every year, there are slightly fewer guns circulating, so their price climbs. And with time, more collectors seek them. The price of an M16 before 1986 cost about $800. Now it goes for about $20,000.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:14:55 pm »
Do you think that the NFA weapon owners are resistant to the repeal of the NFA of 1934 or the 86 Hughes Amendment?

Absolutely.  Typically, these were a major investment.  While they would still have collector's value, the competition would greatly reduce the value.