Author Topic: Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being  (Read 347 times)

rangerrebew

Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »
Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being

Feeling sad, mad, critical or otherwise awful? Surprise: negative emotions are essential for mental health

By Tori Rodriguez on May 1, 2013 51 أعرض هذا باللغة العربية

Credit: SÉBASTIEN THIBAULT

A client sits before me, seeking help untangling his relationship problems. As a psychotherapist, I strive to be warm, nonjudgmental and encouraging. I am a bit unsettled, then, when in the midst of describing his painful experiences, he says, “I'm sorry for being so negative.”

A crucial goal of therapy is to learn to acknowledge and express a full range of emotions, and here was a client apologizing for doing just that. In my psychotherapy practice, many of my clients struggle with highly distressing emotions, such as extreme anger, or with suicidal thoughts. In recent years I have noticed an increase in the number of people who also feel guilty or ashamed about what they perceive to be negativity. Such reactions undoubtedly stem from our culture's overriding bias toward positive thinking. Although positive emotions are worth cultivating, problems arise when people start believing they must be upbeat all the time.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/negative-emotions-key-well-being/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:30:48 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:31:31 pm »
Liberals must be sickest, physically and mentally, in the world.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Liberals must be sickest, physically and mentally, in the world.
Why do you think they so badly wanted Government health care (including preexisting conditions, treatment for mental health and addiction)?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis