Author Topic: Syria has secretly executed thousands of political prisoners: rights group  (Read 421 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Syria has secretly executed thousands of political prisoners: rights group
 By Liz Sly February 6 at 8:18 PM

BEIRUT — Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government secretly executed between 5,000 and 13,000 people in just one prison as part of its campaign to eliminate opposition to his rule, a new report by the watchdog group Amnesty International has found.

The killings took place over a four-year period between 2011 and 2015 in the notorious Sednaya facility outside Damascus, and the bodies were later disposed of in mass graves, according to the report released Monday by Amnesty.

Human rights groups estimate that tens of thousands of political prisoners have disappeared in the Syrian prison system since the uprising against Assad’s rule erupted in 2011, and they suspect that many of those have been tortured to death or secretly killed. The accounts of these killings are in addition to the figure of 17,000 that Amnesty counted in an earlier report on the extrajudicial killings issued last August, compounding an emerging picture of what Amnesty referred to as a policy of “extermination” against opponents of the government.

Continued: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/syria-has-secretly-executed-thousands-of-political-prisoners-rights-group/2017/02/06/e4a7f56a-ecc5-11e6-a100-fdaaf400369a_story.html?utm_term=.408670ae2284

Related: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/06/amnesty-says-at-least-13000-people-hanged-at-syrian-prison/

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Syria has secretly executed thousands of political prisoners: rights group
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:23 am »
"Disappeared"? More like went to Europe I think. And with no evidence either way, the 'rights' groups will always find a way to spin the fact to their advantage.

Not that I doubt Asad would kill anyone. But I trust 'rights groups' getting leftist money less than I do documented dictators.