Author Topic: He travels around the country with a simple sign that reads: “I’m a Muslim and a U.S. Marine. Ask anything.”  (Read 2545 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/one-muslim-marine-inviting-questions-faith/

Mansoor Shams served in the United States Marine Corps from 2000 to 2004. Recently, he has been traveling around the country with a simple sign that reads: “I’m a Muslim and a U.S. Marine. Ask anything.”
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:12:01 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Suppressed

Good for him, and all the Muslims who've served America in uniform, some even giving all.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mesaclone

I don't think anyone here has anything against peacefully practicing Muslims who are citizens of this country. Nor does the president. The man's service is also admirable and something honored by everyone here and by the president. In fact, and this is the point, there is no fear or discrimination aimed at people like this young man...either from the president or the people of this nation...on the contrary, they are recognized and honored.

So I'm not sure what this fellow's point is...nor yours in posting it here...unless it is to further the false premise that US Muslim citizens are an object of fear in America. In contrast, the nation IS taking a wise course of closely vetting incoming Muslim immigrants to ensure they are not being infiltrated by AQ/ISIS sympathizers...something both groups have claimed they are and will be doing.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline kevindavis007

Good for him, and all the Muslims who've served America in uniform, some even giving all.

Amen.. I really don't care about the religion about the person who puts on the Uniform for this country..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Buy that Marine a beer. :)

Offline Suppressed

I don't think anyone here has anything against peacefully practicing Muslims who are citizens of this country.

But there are other places where that ain't so.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline bolobaby

Should women be forced to wear hijabs? Should women be allowed to drive? Am I *allowed* to draw a picture of Mohammed having sex with a pig, no matter how offensive distasteful that may be? Should I suffer legal or violent repercussions if I do?

If he answers any of these questions incorrectly, then he is not a Marine, who is sworn to defend our country and our Constitution. Sure, he signed up to be one, but he isn't one.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Norm Lenhart

My daughter is an 8 year USAF vet. She has had several discussions with me pertaining to military that 'wear it on their sleeve' and use it for leverage. As she said, "They arent all heroes". This looks like an example of that.

I would ask him how he can simultaneously hold his oath to country and Koran when the two are in diametric opposition.

Offline DiogenesLamp

I don't think anyone here has anything against peacefully practicing Muslims who are citizens of this country. Nor does the president. The man's service is also admirable and something honored by everyone here and by the president. In fact, and this is the point, there is no fear or discrimination aimed at people like this young man...either from the president or the people of this nation...on the contrary, they are recognized and honored.

So I'm not sure what this fellow's point is...nor yours in posting it here...unless it is to further the false premise that US Muslim citizens are an object of fear in America. In contrast, the nation IS taking a wise course of closely vetting incoming Muslim immigrants to ensure they are not being infiltrated by AQ/ISIS sympathizers...something both groups have claimed they are and will be doing.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online dfwgator

And Trump's policies will keep Muslims like this person safer.

Muslims are more inclined to kill each other.  Trump wants to keep the bad Muslims out.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

Should women be forced to wear hijabs? Should women be allowed to drive? Am I *allowed* to draw a picture of Mohammed having sex with a pig, no matter how offensive distasteful that may be? Should I suffer legal or violent repercussions if I do?

If he answers any of these questions incorrectly, then he is not a Marine, who is sworn to defend our country and our Constitution. Sure, he signed up to be one, but he isn't one.

Amen.  We've been patronized by muslim apologists for the past 15 years.  It's quite simple really: the suspicion will fade when the behavior stops.  They aren't going to accomplish anything by whining.

Offline Applewood

My daughter is an 8 year USAF vet. She has had several discussions with me pertaining to military that 'wear it on their sleeve' and use it for leverage. As she said, "They arent all heroes". This looks like an example of that.

I would ask him how he can simultaneously hold his oath to country and Koran when the two are in diametric opposition.

It could be that this man doesn't practice his faith with such radicalism as the jihadis and other nutty  Muslims do .

One of my doctors is a native of Syria.  He and I have had a few brief discussions about radicalism and the war in his native land.   He distances himself from the jihadis , calling them "insane."  Has a photo of his wife and son on his desk.  Wife does not wear a hijab or burqa. 

Told me once that he misses his family and friends still in Syria.  He would love to go home for a visit, but war has made that impossible.  I asked if he would move back home permanently, and he said, no way.  He said he is happy and free here.

Offline Norm Lenhart

It could be that this man doesn't practice his faith with such radicalism as the jihadis and other nutty  Muslims do .

One of my doctors is a native of Syria.  He and I have had a few brief discussions about radicalism and the war in his native land.   He distances himself from the jihadis , calling them "insane."  Has a photo of his wife and son on his desk.  Wife does not wear a hijab or burqa. 

Told me once that he misses his family and friends still in Syria.  He would love to go home for a visit, but war has made that impossible.  I asked if he would move back home permanently, and he said, no way.  He said he is happy and free here.
Then he is, according to his own Koran, his fellow Muslims, Apostate and not a muslim at all.

Unless he is like many who have taken their wives out of burkas, applied the edict of Taqquya to infiltrate the Great Satan and could go jihadi on command.

But we really do not know which. Because as a Muslim who hasn't renounced the Koran in any way, well, it is what it is. Thats the reality. We DO NOT KNOW WHICH.

Offline Suppressed

Then he is, according to his own Koran, his fellow Muslims, Apostate and not a muslim at all.

Unless he is like many who have taken their wives out of burkas, applied the edict of Taqquya to infiltrate the Great Satan and could go jihadi on command.

Do all Christians follow this? "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered." I Cor 11:6
I suspect there are many non-Bible-following Christians. Do we define by their own beliefs and self-identification, or the fundamentalists' views?
+++++++++

Offline Norm Lenhart

Do all Christians follow this? "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered." I Cor 11:6
Dunno but I promise that I'll ask the next priest I see if he preaches from the pulpit that parishioners need to go out and suicide bomb the offender's neighborhood for noncompliance as do the imams for any transgression of the Koran.

There does, on the surface however, seem to be a lack of parity from that verse and:

'And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

Offline Applewood

I suppose like Christians with the Bible, my doctor doesn't follow the Koran literally or follow the twisted interpretation of some radical with an agenda.  In this country he doesn't have to, as he might in his home country or in any of the other radical countries.  Here he can do what he wants.  And his wife doesn't have to cover her head or her whole body.

I asked him once why non-radical Muslims don't denounce the "insane" ones.  He said it's because of fear. He fears not for himself, but his family back home in Syria.  The radicals aren't as backwards as we might think.  They watch tv ; they know how to use the internet. What would prevent them from finding his family in Syria and killing them?  Or send an assassin to kill him and his family here. 

Life isn't so free back home.  Here the doctor received an education and degree in medicine, his standard of living is far better than in Syria, and he is free to do what he wants.  America has been good to him.  He's not foolish enough to hate America so much that he would destroy everything he has by becoming another Hassan.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I suspect there are many non-Bible-following Christians. Do we define by their own beliefs and self-identification, or the fundamentalists' views?

The BIG difference here is that Christians don't want to institute - well, what is the Christian equivalent of sharia?  Ah, that's right, there isn't one.

Offline Suppressed

Dunno but I promise that I'll ask the next priest I see if he preaches from the pulpit that parishioners need to go out and suicide bomb the offender's neighborhood for noncompliance as do the imams for any transgression of the Koran.

There does, on the surface however, seem to be a lack of parity from that verse and:

'And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

Beware on your weekend camping trips, you don't gather firewood on the wrong day...

"32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."

--Numbers 15:32-36 (KJV)

But the point is:
Not all Muslims take everything literally and explicitly, just like not all Christians do.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

The BIG difference here is that Christians don't want to institute - well, what is the Christian equivalent of sharia?  Ah, that's right, there isn't one.

And nor all Muslims do.
+++++++++

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Suppressed

You missed my point.... :pondering:

But was that point relevant to what I was addressing?   ^-^
+++++++++

Offline Norm Lenhart

Beware on your weekend camping trips, you don't gather firewood on the wrong day...

"32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."

--Numbers 15:32-36 (KJV)

Seen the numbers for how many of them support full Sharia?

I have yet to see a christian blow up a school bus because someone gathered wood wrong. That is pathetically absurd to excuse the reality of the situation by equating Islam with Christianity. Christianity underwent a reformation a long, long time ago. Islam never did. Thus the abundance of body parts in the air on any given day.

PS: How do you tell a good muslim from a bad muslim when the book they both hold to tells them that Allah commands they lie to the infidel for advantage? How do you KNOW you arent being lied to?

How?

Nowhere does Christianity, Judiasm, Hinduism, Bhuddhism or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (and his noodly appendage) tell anyone to lie to anyone to gain advantage/grow in power. Just Islam.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:13:37 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But was that point relevant to what I was addressing?   ^-^

Yes, it was.  Christians don't have sharia or anything equivalent.  So, no, Christians are not going to institute a body of laws the requires everyone to conform to said body of Christian laws.