Author Topic: Executive order eliminating immigrant benefits would shock, distress South Florida  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
All this boils down to is:

1. There are benefits that this country provides.
2. Conservatives don't want all who are in this country, legally, to be able to partake.

Ergo, these benefits are for only the right people.  The good people.  Not those nasty bad ones.

The courts would step on any attempt to do so just as surely as they would have stepped on the Gingrich plan to make illegals into non voting citizens.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
When my parents arrived in America in the early 50's they were not only required to be sponsored but had to sign an affidavit that they would neither seek or accept any government aid for a period of five years, at which time they had become citizens. My parents never did apply for or receive government aid. The obungo misadministration was using taxpayer dollars to teach illegals how to score a nice living off the American taxpayer. :nono:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
All this boils down to is:

1. There are benefits that this country provides.
2. Conservatives don't want all who are in this country, legally, to be able to partake.

Ergo, these benefits are for only the right people.  The good people.  Not those nasty bad ones.

That's satire, right?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
When my parents arrived in America in the early 50's they were not only required to be sponsored but had to sign an affidavit that they would neither seek or accept any government aid for a period of five years, at which time they had become citizens. My parents never did apply for or receive government aid. The obungo misadministration was using taxpayer dollars to teach illegals how to score a nice living off the American taxpayer. :nono:
Out here in SoCal, among the strongest supporters of legal-only immigration are family, friends that are Italian Americans and Hispanic Americans.

They resent illegals very much. Because of illegals, they have been incorrectly called "wetbacks," for instance; one such being my beautiful Italian-American wife of 49 years.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That's satire, right?

No! It's liberal BS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

Au contraire.  Anyone that resides in this country LEGALLY should be able to partake of said benefits.  Anyone here illegally should not be able to.  It ain't rocket science.

And the article is addressing legal immigrants.

Not illegal ones.

With that in mind, look at the thread comments again.

HonestJohn

Precisely.

Good people=self-supporting people. Productive contributors.  Nasty bad ones=leeches, unproductive takers.

If YOU want to sponsor and support an individual or family, feel free to do so. But keep out of my wallet. We already have too many lay-abouts.

Or join the Peace Corps of become a missionary. Think of all the good you could do in one of the peoples' paradise countries, where they live the same as they did, 2,500 years ago. They could truly use YOUR charity.

As you know (hopefully), people have good times and bad times.

Someone fresh into this country may fall on hard times, but in time, is likely to get on their feet and become a productive member of society.

How do you justify categorizing a person (for life) based on a short-term phenomenon?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Not illegal ones.

Why the hell do you think immigrants, whether legal or illegal, have access to welfare as soon as they hit our shores?

HonestJohn

Why the hell do you think immigrants, whether legal or illegal, have access to welfare as soon as they hit our shores?

Because our country and the people in it thought that the benefits granted should apply to those in our country and not a selective few.

It sounds like you'd like, perhaps, a government board to select which people in this country are allowed benefits?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Not illegal ones.

And yesterday they were screeching about the Budweiser ad showing the immigrant who founded the country doing well for himself.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Because our country and the people in it thought that the benefits granted should apply to those in our country and not a selective few.

It sounds like you'd like, perhaps, a government board to select which people in this country are allowed benefits?

Says who?  I certainly didn't and don't agree with that. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Not illegal ones.

@HonestJohn

WHY should American taxpayers pay for the health benefits of foreigners,even those here legally? Did we adopt them,like a litter of kittens? Americans have to pay for their own medical care,so why should immigrants not face the same requirements?

I have no idea what the INS does now,but I know they used to give each new immigrant a physical,and refuse admission to the ones that were ill or had chronic diseases that would prevent them from working. What was and is wrong with that?

BTW,I haven't seen anyone tell you that YOU couldn't personally take on those obligations if you feel that strongly about it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@An easy decision to make.

In one corner you have Americans.

In another corner you have NOT Americans.

Even you should be able to figure that one out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, you seem very irate that legal immigrants are able to use things like Medicaid. 

@Sanguine  @HonestJohn

Why SHOULDN'T she be irate about it. They are foreigners,and haven't spend years paying into the Medicaid program.

So you don't want certain Americans to have all the benefits given.  (as legal immigrants are Americans)

No,legal immigrants are NOT "Americans". They are immigrants until they are sworn in as Americans. Then they BECOME Americans.

Offline LMAO

We can't afford to provide benefits for the people who are already here and on them. Government benefit programs are not sustainable to have large numbers of people on them for a long period of time.

When Social Security was passed, few were supposed to live long enough to collect
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Norm Lenhart

All you've just said is that you do not consider legal immigrants to be "American".

When Jesus Valdez comes to America legally he is a legal immigrant and welcome.

When Jesus Valdez does the requisites and takes the oath of citizenship, he is forevermore an American and welcome. Not until. He may be an immigrant to America, but he is an American. "Legal immigrant" has a specific definition. Until he becomes an American, he does not have all the rights of an American.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
All you've just said is that you do not consider legal immigrants to be "American".
That's right.

If I decide to go live in Canada, legally or otherwise, I do not become a Canadian. I am still an American, simply living in Canada. It is not until I receive citizenship that I truly become Canadian. It would be especially poor form for me to demand the benefits Canadian citizens get, when I am effectively a guest in their country.

The same is true of foreign nationals in the United States.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

When Jesus Valdez comes to America legally he is a legal immigrant and welcome.

When Jesus Valdez does the requisites and takes the oath of citizenship, he is forevermore an American and welcome. Not until. He may be an immigrant to America, but he is an American. "Legal immigrant" has a specific definition. Until he becomes an American, he does not have all the rights of an American.

@Norm Lenhart
@HonestJohn

Norm, you're right.

I'm going to be totally honest and admit I misread the article; I thought it was about illegal immigrants.

But this stuff about not wanting to help the "wrong" people...please.

Offline Norm Lenhart

@Norm Lenhart
@HonestJohn

Norm, you're right.

I'm going to be totally honest and admit I misread the article; I thought it was about illegal immigrants.

But this stuff about not wanting to help the "wrong" people...please.

It's a blizzard of snowflakes here lately...Abortion 'choice', Pro Islam and pro illegal. Isn't conservatism great lately?

Silver Pines

It's a blizzard of snowflakes here lately...Abortion 'choice', Pro Islam and pro illegal. Isn't conservatism great lately?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@HonestJohn

They AREN'T Americans,dumbass. They are legal immigrants. If they had taken US citizenship,THEN we would be calling them Americans. WTF are you,a DNC party official afraid of having voters you registered removed from the voting lists?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I must admit to finding them VERY tiresome! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Sanguine  @HonestJohn

Why SHOULDN'T she be irate about it. They are foreigners,and haven't spend years paying into the Medicaid program.

No,legal immigrants are NOT "Americans". They are immigrants until they are sworn in as Americans. Then they BECOME Americans.

Thanks, @sneakypete.  I wasn't in a place I could answer, but you did just fine answering for me. ^-^