Author Topic: Belarusian leader lashes out at Russia (AP)  (Read 410 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Belarusian leader lashes out at Russia (AP)
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:58 pm »
Belarusian leader lashes out at Russia
    By YURAS KARMANAU Associated Press Feb 3, 2017

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — In a sign of growing friction between the two ex-Soviet neighbors, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko criticized Russia Friday for cutting oil supplies, ordered his interior minister to press charges against Russia's top food safety official and firmly refused to host a Russian air base.

In a live news conference that lasted about 7½ hours, Lukashenko alleged that the latest trade restrictions imposed by Moscow had been spurned by its concern about Belarus' efforts to improve its ties with the West.

In more than two decades in power, Lukashenko has relied on economic and political support of Russia, skillfully exploiting its security concerns and casting Belarus as an indispensable ally.

Continued: http://www.newsadvance.com/news/world/wire/belarusian-leader-lashes-out-at-russia/article_b3240932-1d53-5728-8c9f-90dcf8299496.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Belarusian leader lashes out at Russia (AP)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:09:28 pm »
I know there are people that think "This Putin guy is doing good" and I'd never put down the country per se; I think one can start looking at all of the stories, like this one. Apparently Russia is not getting along with almost none of their neighbors; and on the other hand, this is Russia's sphere of influence. Not a good story and a 7 and a half hour press conference?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:10:00 pm by TomSea »

geronl

Re: Belarusian leader lashes out at Russia (AP)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:12:19 pm »
Belarus has been a Russian toady before now