Author Topic: Why Democrats Should Resist Calls to Block Judge Neil Gorsuch’s Supreme Court Nomination  (Read 754 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
https://classactionblawg.com/2017/02/01/why-democrats-should-resist-calls-to-block-judge-neil-gorsuchs-supreme-court-nomination/

As a lifelong Democrat, I certainly do not support approval of the nominee without fully vetting him through the advise and consent process appropriate for a lifetime appointment of this magnitude.  However, I do think it would be wrong to filibuster or boycott the confirmation process, for several reasons.
First, Judge Gorsuch appears eminently qualified for the Supreme Court.  Although we hail from the same state, I don’t have the pleasure of knowing Judge Gorsuch personally, nor have I appeared before him.  However, members of the Denver legal community whom I respect have unanimously praised his intelligence, legal acumen, fair-mindedness, lack of political agenda, and most notably–given the President who nominated him–his temperament.  Even the most left-leaning lawyers who know or have appeared before him consider him qualified.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:15:28 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

geronl

Attempting to block it would be pointless. He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu with a swaztika tattoo.

Wingnut

Attempting to block it would be pointless. He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu with a swaztika tattoo.

Little Dude you were doing great.  Showing a little flair with the "He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu"  So much promise and then you failed to launch with  "a swaztika tattoo?"   WTF was that.

"He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu and a Hello Kitty Ball Gag"
"He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu riding bitch on the back of a Harley.
"He's going to be confirmed, even if he showed up in a pink tutu and a tattoo of Geroni face on his ass.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

The question is whether he'll be confirmed with or without exercising the nuclear option.  Since this is a pick that won't alter the ideological balance of the Court, it seems to make little sense to go to the mat and give up the ability to filibuster the next SCOTUS pick, who really will, in all likelihood, change the balance of the Court.   

Gorsuch appears to be a conservative jurist in the Roberts mold - a "balls and strikes" type who will be reluctant to legislate from the bench.  He will no doubt be closely questioned on his respect for stare decisis.   Even the Dems ought to appreciate that he likely won't be a swashbuckling new Scalia,  and keep their power (and filibuster) dry to fight another day.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:44:24 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

geronl

Once again snowflakes have to insult me personally, must be sad to live that way.

Offline Hoodat

Never underestimate the ability of Republicans to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

The alt right would probably confirm him faster if milo is any indication.