Author Topic: Fearing Protester Outrage, Harley Davidson Dumps President Trump  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Fearing Protester Outrage, Harley Davidson Dumps President Trump
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »
We saw that all through the election, too. It's false advertising in a way, to get you to click their link or buy their publication, but even worse, it misleads the segment of the population with a false or unsupported assertion which becomes incorporated into Conventional Wisdom on the topic. The Left are masters at the technique, and unfortunately they have no monopoly on it.

The American people are just plain gullible.

I see the picture of the "Woman severely beaten by anti Trump protesters!!!!!" is making the rounds on twitter for the 2nd or 3rd time in the past 2 years. In reality its an actress in make up for the Ash Vs the Evil Dead series.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:25 pm »
It's not the file properties. Those change. Exif is actually embedded in the picture. 

I use a free viewing tool (available here) to check any news photos I'm a touch dubious about or the legitimacy of which is called into question.

Yes, Exif data can be manipulated. This shows in various ways. It can be stripped out completely, too. But it's a good way to quickly check if a picture is when it purports to be.

The exif data is what I changed.   

I was just pointing out to folks that you can't really trust the metadata as proof of anything.  A decent indication, but not proof.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2017, 11:20:33 pm »
The American people are just plain gullible.

I see the picture of the "Woman severely beaten by anti Trump protesters!!!!!" is making the rounds on twitter for the 2nd or 3rd time in the past 2 years. In reality its an actress in make up for the Ash Vs the Evil Dead series.
I hate to say it, but the American People have been trained to be gullible. Our grandfathers bought equipment that could be rebuilt from the ground up, for a pittance in parts and using basic tools and a little know-how. Now people buy non-maintainable equipment to accomplish the same tasks, either out of some 'fashion sense', or because they have been convinced the new model is, in fact, new, improved, concentrated, lemon scented, (and also sharpens knives!) --but wait! there's more! Buy the exquisite new, improved, wonder widget and not only will you Never Need Another, but we'll double the offer and send you two! (Just pay shipping and handling). Why, it will cure all your ills, and it's so easy a child can do it.

We have been conditioned to ever believe the newest greatest quick fix will replace effort or skill (and sometimes, it even will), but have been chasing that will-o'-the-wisp in the great quest for whiter whites, more colorful colors, and fresher smelling underwear (uh...who is smelling your skivvies, anyway?).

This has not been an aimless process from a commercial standpoint, even if a relatively transparent one, but the spinoff markets include the erosion of raw logic, political theory, and the basic ability to determine what is what is and what isn't--a skill anyone who had seen a traveling medicine show back in the day should have acquired.

In the meantime, the television blares with the announcement of the latest cure-whatever drug (side effects include hair growing where it shouldn't and not growing where it should, loss of portions of extremities and protruding genitalia, unequal enlargement of breast tissue, and possible life ending complications, but nose hair was eliminated in 40% of test subjects and reduced by up to 25% in another 20%. See flyer for details.) sandwiched in between ads for legal referrals for compensation in the class action suit for the clinical manifestations (in you or a deceased loved one) of the side effects of the last wonder cure-all.

Yep, there is one born every minute, they (somehow) live longer, and a lot of minutes have passed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis