Author Topic: Questions rise about Trump-ordered raid in Yemen  (Read 2616 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Questions rise about Trump-ordered raid in Yemen
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
Questions rise about Trump-ordered raid in Yemen
By Rebecca Savransky - 02/02/17 08:04 AM EST

The first military operation ordered by President Trump may have resulted in as many as 30 civilian deaths and the killing of an American operative, according to several reports questioning the intelligence behind the raid in Yemen.

U.S. military officials told Reuters that the operation was approved without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup operations.

Navy SEAL William "Ryan" Owens died in the raid, along with 14 militants. President Trump flew to Dover Air Base in Delaware on Wednesday to visit with Owens's family.

Trump approved the early Sunday morning raid, but it had been in the works under the Obama administration for months.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/317501-trump-ordered-raid-in-yemen-approved-without-sufficient-intelligence

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Questions rise about Trump-ordered raid in Yemen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »
U.S. military officials told Reuters that the operation was approved without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup operations.

Well who's fault is that? Sounds to me like it my be this unnamed military source.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »

Well who's fault is that? Sounds to me like it my be this unnamed military source.

According to other stories, the mission was planned while Obama was still president, and had to wait until there was no moon.

Not Trump's fault.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:10:24 pm »
According to other stories, the mission was planned while Obama was still president, and had to wait until there was no moon.

Not Trump's fault.

Nobody's fault until we figure out why Obama sat on it for a few months.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

Seal team six not prepared?  Ohhhhkay.

Yet another O' mess that Trump will have to clean up.

@don-o
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:33:05 pm »

That makes sense. I wonder what the Joint Chiefs advised Trump about the operation... oh wait, never mind...

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »
it appears al Qaeda fighters in Yemen were tipped off to the approaching forces from the United States and United Arab Emirates.

Anyone have any doubt that Mattis will get to the bottom of this?

@LonestarDream

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 06:50:10 pm »
Anyone have any doubt that Mattis will get to the bottom of this?

@LonestarDream

Not me.  Donald brought in the true professionals.

@don-o

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »
That makes sense. I wonder what the Joint Chiefs advised Trump about the operation... oh wait, never mind...

They asked for a GO/NOGO decision -- says to me that they "advised" in the affirmative.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:35 pm »
I thought we were going to let the military run it, but we have the same micro-managing as always

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:13:29 pm »
Not me.  Donald brought in the true professionals.

@don-o

Send Bannon over there to figure it out in person

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »
Those same "Military Officials" need a quick and very hard lesson in how to keep their damned mouths shut in public if you ask me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »
After eight straight years of obsequious obeisance to the Obama administration. I guess we should get used to a scandal erupting in the media every-damn-time someone in the Trump administration takes a crap.

Get over the election a**holes or when something really does require a closer look no one will be paying any attention to you.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »
Send Bannon over there to figure it out in person

Generally, this is  a question for The Generals that Trump brought on...

geronl

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »
Generally, this is  a question for The Generals that Trump brought on...

Bannon is not under their command.

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 01:32:45 am »

Probably due to the fact that...

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 01:34:09 am »
They asked for a GO/NOGO decision -- says to me that they "advised" in the affirmative.

The JCS don't sit in the NSC anymore.

I highly doubt Trump could have been advised when he kicked them out.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 01:43:03 am »
The JCS don't sit in the NSC anymore.

I highly doubt Trump could have been advised when he kicked them out.

You do know that the NSC doesn't order military strikes, right?

HonestJohn

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 03:22:22 am »
You do know that the NSC doesn't order military strikes, right?

Derp.  So much derp in that.

Who advises the President as to our capabilities and chances of success, then?  Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:33:46 pm »
Derp.  So much derp in that.

Who advises the President as to our capabilities and chances of success, then?  Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks?

Sigh.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »
Sigh.

Apparently, @HonestJohn is under the delusion that just because President Trump relieved the JCS from having to attend every dumbassed meeting of the NSC on the docket they somehow became completely unavailable to him!   **nononono*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:56:44 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 02:50:51 pm »
In all honesty what should have happened is that they should have put a 2-3 week hold on the boots on the ground raids until 1) the new POTUS and SecDef were full up to speed on them and b) during said pause have the G-2 and J-2 at the Pentagon...DIA...NSA et al review their intel...update as necessary and then resume these type of operations as necessary.

That way they aren't set up for failure by their predecessors like what seems to be the case here.

They could still call a pause...explain why and put the blame for that dead SEAL squarely on the last administration.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:22 pm »

Based on my own "limited" experience from 8+ years as an Air Defense Artillery officer, I never saw an operations order that was based on "sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup operations."

These "U.S. military officials" quoted need to resign their commissions, IMO. Where the hell were they when this operation was being orchestrated? IMO, these officers were more concerned about their careers than the success of the mission.

Being a leader demands that you speak up when the need arises. Even if things work out because you spoke up, that doesn't necessarily mean that your career will benefit. I experienced that on more than a few occasions, but I had never planned on a career anyway.

I pray that our officer corps is transformed from a group of Courtney Massengales to Sam Damons.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »
Based on my own "limited" experience from 8+ years as an Air Defense Artillery officer, I never saw an operations order that was based on "sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup operations."

These "U.S. military officials" quoted need to resign their commissions, IMO. Where the hell were they when this operation was being orchestrated? IMO, these officers were more concerned about their careers than the success of the mission.

Being a leader demands that you speak up when the need arises. Even if things work out because you spoke up, that doesn't necessarily mean that your career will benefit. I experienced that on more than a few occasions, but I had never planned on a career anyway.

I pray that our officer corps is transformed from a group of Courtney Massengales to Sam Damons.

That's true...you can never have "enough" intel.

I'm afraid that the Officer Corps has become too political...you won't have many that rise to the rank of general that will step up and speak the truth about something even though it flies int he face of what is being said.  Sr. NCO's are becoming just as political as well I'm afraid.

It's become more about protecting your own career than doing what's right for the soldiers you lead.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »
U.S. military officials told Reuters...

Why?  Whose interests were served by needless running off at the mouth to the press?

- J. R. R. Tolkien