Author Topic: Hoyer on Immigration Order That Mentions No Specific Religion: It’s a ‘Religious Test,’ ‘Unconstitutional’  (Read 684 times)

rangerrebew

Hoyer on Immigration Order That Mentions No Specific Religion: It’s a ‘Religious Test,’ ‘Unconstitutional’

(CNSNews.com) – At his weekly Capitol Hill press briefing on Tuesday, House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said that he believes the temporary halt ordered by President Donald Trump of immigrants from seven countries that are havens for terrorists is a “religious test” and “unconstitutional,” even though the executive order does not mention a specific religion and states that all religious minorities that are facing persecution should be “prioritized” for refugee status.

In his remarks to reporters, Hoyer called the executive order “a Muslim ban” and distributed to reporters the transcript from the remarks he made on the House floor ahead of the briefing, where he said “[The executive order] bans refugees and is, for all intents and purposes, a ban on Muslims entering our country.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/hoyer-immigration-order-mentions-no-specific-religion-its-religious-test

rangerrebew

I've seen better looking A##holes on a Rottweiler; smarter, too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The "religious test" clause in the Constitution is specific for offices of the government.  It says nothing about religious tests for immigrants.

geronl

It would be unconstitutional if it were a test for public office, not for immigration

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The "religious test" clause in the Constitution is specific for offices of the government.  It says nothing about religious tests for immigrants.

Correct!  But there is nothing remotely like a religious  test involved in this order.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
So being from Syria is a religion? Who knew.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour