Author Topic: The 1972 Digital Watch That Cost More Than a Car  (Read 3116 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The 1972 Digital Watch That Cost More Than a Car
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:38 pm »

In 1972, the Hamilton Watch Company announced the Pulsar Time Computer, billed as the first digital watch. In the video above you can see—and hear—how grand the company’s vision for the future of timekeeping was.

“Time. The endless river,” the ominous voice intones as a clock ticks in the background. “Transporting some. Engulfing others. A stream upon which information explodes, communications multiply, technology accelerates into ever new life.”

The “Time Computer” bit was mostly marketing hype. It didn’t double as a calculator or address book, or have any of the other bonus features that later digital watches would include. All the Pulsar watch did was tell time. But in an age when computers were still enormous, lumbering machines, the prospect of wearing anything that could be construed as a computer on your wrist was downright science fictional. And much as today’s watches tout sensors to monitor your heart rate or activity, the Pulsar boasted a light sensor that could adjust the brightness of the LEDs so that they looked the same to the eye regardless of the lighting conditions.

“That model sold for $2,100, which was more than a new Ford Pinto went for at the time,” journalist Harry McCracken wrote in a retrospective on early digital watches. A Pulsar even appeared on James Bond’s wrist in 1973’s Live and Let Die.

Klint Finley   Business Date of Publication: 03.06.15.
https://www.wired.com/2015/03/tech-time-warp-week-1972-digital-watch-cost-car/

Oceander

Re: The 1972 Digital Watch That Cost More Than a Car
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:13 pm »
Wow!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
One of my shipmates back in 74 or 75 had a Pulsar red LED watch. I think he paid about 400 bucks for it.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:07:29 pm »
One of my shipmates back in 74 or 75 had a Pulsar red LED watch. I think he paid about 400 bucks for it.

But by 1980 you could buy a cheap digital for 10 or 12 bucks.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »
I am always amazed by the fact that everyone knows what time it is these days. I don't say that tongue-in-cheek.

When I was growing up, everyone's concept of time was typically off by 10 minutes or so. Some people were 10 minutes too fast, others were 10 minutes too slow. You could have a gap of 20 minutes for your "four o'clock meeting." Later, they introduced a phone number that you could call to figure out the exact time. Even then, getting synchronized was tedious.

Nowadays, everyone is within a few seconds of each other thanks to our phones, computers, and satellite watches.

It's one of those little things that people just take for granted these days.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
Later, they introduced a phone number that you could call to figure out the exact time. Even then, getting synchronized was tedious.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), formerly the National Bureau of Standards, broadcasts a time and frequency service from stations WWV in Fort Collins, CO and WWVH in Kauai, Hawaii., commonly known to mariners as the "Time Tick", used as an aid in celestial navigation. Included in these are hourly voice broadcasts of current highseas storm warnings for the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf of Mexico provided by the National Weather Service.

Discrimination between the two stations may be accomplished as WWV uses a male announcer for announcement of time, while WWVH uses a female announcer.

The audio portions of the WWV and WWVH broadcasts can also be heard by telephone. To hear these broadcasts, dial (303) 499-7111 for WWV (Colorado), and (808) 335-4363 for WWVH (Hawaii). Callers are disconnected after 2 minutes. These are not toll-free numbers; callers outside the local calling area are charged for the call at regular long-distance rates. The telephone service is very popular. The WWV number receives over 1 million calls per year, and the WWVH number receives more than 50,000.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »

It's one of those little things that people just take for granted these days.

That reminds me of the stories of the railroad needing to syncronize the times at all the railroad stations because every town seemed to have its own time.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »
This title is terribly deceiving....

“That model sold for $2,100, which was more than a new Ford Pinto went for at the time,”

The Pinto cannot be considered a car.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »
1995 article about computer advancements! Don't go for less than 8 Megs of RAM and remember that 28.8k modems are in!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
How about the Maverick for $1,995. Well, I know it wasn't much of a car ither.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:26 pm »

Was that supposed to be Ford's answer to the Chevy Nova?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »
1995 article about computer advancements! Don't go for less than 8 Megs of RAM and remember that 28.8k modems are in!

In 1982 my computer, a SYM-1, had 4K of RAM. and I used a 300 baud modem.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 07:55:51 pm »

“That model sold for $2,100, which was more than a new Ford Pinto went for at the time,”

Ford. Lincoln. Mercury.  The sign of the Cat.

Those two model were the cats Litter Box.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »
It supposedly was going to be their "Import Fighter". It evolved from the  Ford Falcon. Now my Dad had the Mercury flavor of it, the Comet, and it wasn't too bad of a car.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 08:46:17 pm »

Maybe so, but it did make a dandy self-immolation device!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 10:48:41 pm »

Especially when equipped with Firestone 500 tires......

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 10:53:35 pm »

They got the idea from Mission Impossible.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »

It cannot be considered a car if there is no glove box to hide your gun and drugs if the cops pull you over.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:03:27 pm »
Now my Dad had the Mercury flavor of it, the Comet, and it wasn't too bad of a car.

Obviously you were coming out of a tricycle with a bent wheel into the Comet to walk away with that impression.