Author Topic: New Threat Realities and Deterrence Requirements  (Read 255 times)

rangerrebew

New Threat Realities and Deterrence Requirements
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:47 pm »
New Threat Realities and Deterrence Requirements
By Keith B. Payne
February 01, 2017
National Institute for Public Policy (NIPP)

Adapted from remarks at the “Strategic Weapons in the 21st Century” Conference, Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, Washington, DC, January 26, 2017

Dr. Keith B. Payne is a co-founder of the National Institute for Public Policy, the director of the Graduate School of Defense and Strategic Studies at Missouri State University and a former deputy assistant secretary of defense.

The SW-21 conference sponsors have asked multiple worthy and overarching questions.  But given the time available, we must narrow the aperture for our respective remarks.  In doing so, I would like to discuss two of these overarching questions briefly:

First: What are the changes in the security environment posed by regional powers?

Second, and, correspondingly: What do these changes suggest regarding the possibility of new requirements?

Most of my remarks along these lines today focus on Russia and deterrence policy considerations because that has been the focus of my work for decades.  But there are important parallels with regard to US-Chinese relations that we can discuss as well.

http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/02/01/new_threat_realities_and_deterrence_requirements_110724.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:24:21 pm by rangerrebew »