Author Topic: The future of NOAA, the world's largest repository of climate data, is now in the hands of a climate-change denier  (Read 1105 times)

Wingnut

Oh the horror!

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is home to the world’s largest repository of climate data.

It houses data from the United States and from other countries, many of which rely on NOAA’s archives to understand everything from the shifting global climate, to the health of fisheries, to ocean chemistry, to the paleoclimatic record—including million-year-old tree rings. NOAA’s information also figures into the daily lives of Americans perhaps more than any other agency; if you’ve checked the weather forecast lately, you can thank NOAA. And perhaps most importantly, NOAA’s records serve as the backbone of scientific evidence of human-induced global warming.

“The archive spans data that goes well over a hundred years,” Scott Stephens, a NOAA meteorologist, tells Quartz. “Especially for the US, there’s data that goes back almost to Independence.”

Now, all that is in the hands of Kenneth Haapala, selected by US president Donald Trump to help appoint top administrators at NOAA. Haapala serves on the transition team for the US Department of Commerce, which oversees the agency. He is also an unabashed climate-change denier.

Haapala is a policy expert at the Heartland Institute, a conservative group that has equated belief in climate change with terrorism and mass murder. The group devotes significant resources to promoting the false claim that there not a scientific consensus on climate change, and that, according to its website, “Most scientists do not believe human greenhouse gas emissions are a proven threat to the environment or to human well-being,” which is also false.

Heartland has also worked to influence public school curriculums away from teaching about climate change as a man-made reality. The group has been financed in part by donations from foundations tied to Koch Industries, a major oil refiner.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D) of Rhode Island and Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva (D) wrote a letter to Trump last week, opposing Haapala’s appointment and citing his work downplaying the threat of sea level rise, the Huffington Post reported.

“We urge you to remove Mr. Haapala and any others who share his discredited views on climate science from the DOC landing team. He certainly does not understand or appreciate NOAA’s mission and therefore is unfit to serve in any capacity that oversees operations or personnel decisions at the agency,” the congressmen wrote.

Haapala will help choose NOAA’s leadership once the Senate votes on billionaire investor Wilbur Ross, Trump’s choice for secretary of commerce. Ross pledged during his confirmation hearing to support NOAA’s scientific research and advocate that it continues to be accessible to the public.

“If confirmed, I intend to see that the Department [of Commerce] provides the public with as much factual and accurate data as we have available. It is public tax dollars that support the Department’s scientific research, and barring some national security concern, I see no valid reason to keep peer reviewed research from the public,” he said. “To be clear, by peer review I mean scientific review and not a political filter.”

https://qz.com/899450/trump-kenneth-haapala-and-wilbur-ross-the-future-of-noaa-the-worlds-largest-repository-of-climate-data-is-now-in-the-hands-of-a-climate-change-denier/

Oceander

"Denier" - the use of the term indicates the speaker's lack of any real argument.  "Denier" is the latter-day term for "apostate" and it is used by those whose religious beliefs have been impugned; it is not used by people who have facts and science on their side.

Offline Joe Wooten

"Denier" - the use of the term indicates the speaker's lack of any real argument.  "Denier" is the latter-day term for "apostate" and it is used by those whose religious beliefs have been impugned; it is not used by people who have facts and science on their side.

And fortunately, it is having about as much effect as the screams of Racist! are these days. Their playbook is overused and should be thrown away, though I fully expect them to keep doubling down in the same old manner.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, I much prefer the term "scientist".

Offline Just_Victor

US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Just wondering:  What makes us think we have the ability to administer the oceans and/or the atmosphere?

All of my project tasks got put on hold today, so I have too much time to think.  My brain can be dangerous if left idle for too long.  :coffee:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
I have no problem with data, as long as it is original data and not "adjusted" data to support a presupposed outcome.

Wingnut

I have no problem with data, as long as it is original data and not "adjusted" data to support a presupposed outcome.

Just checking, since my sarcasm detector is in the shop today...
You mean like before when they "adjusted" the data to support the religion of doom and gloom?

Offline Joe Wooten

Just checking, since my sarcasm detector is in the shop today...
You mean like before when they "adjusted" the data to support the religion of doom and gloom?

Yup......

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Just wondering:  What makes us think we have the ability to administer the oceans and/or the atmosphere?

All of my project tasks got put on hold today, so I have too much time to think.  My brain can be dangerous if left idle for too long.  :coffee:
My dad worked for them his entire life, after serving in WW2 and then the Weather Bureau.

I believe it actually connotes the administration of atmospheric and oceanic data and its interpretation.  Title is shortened.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington