Author Topic: Man who tweeted about killing Trump loses his job  (Read 2552 times)

Wingnut

Man who tweeted about killing Trump loses his job
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:49:34 am »

Donald Trump may be this country’s Twitter-troll-in-chief, but those tempted to troll him back, beware.

A writer who has addressed about 30 tweets to Trump – some of them including off-color jokes about assassination – was investigated by the Secret Service under circumstances that press freedom experts are calling “troubling”.

Josh Hadley, a 41-year-old freelance film journalist and podcaster from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, told the Guardian he had been “trolling” Trump on Twitter for about a year.

“I’ve been kind of mean, but I don’t think any of them can be construed as threats,” he said. “I’m trying to be funny. I was trying to get a reaction out of him.”

All of his tweets to Trump are critical, but none appear to contain any credible threats. Hadley marked Trump’s inauguration day by tweeting a slightly altered quote from the Oliver Stone movie U Turn: “Thousands of people die every day … why can’t you be one of them?” On New Year’s Day, he wrote: “Do you think if I shot @RealDonaldTrump Jodie Foster would love me?” (John Hinckley Jr, who shot Ronald Reagan, wrote to the actor before the attack.)

A single Twitter account with about 430 followers may seem insignificant on Twitter, where threads often become cesspools of harassment and abuse, but on Wednesday, Hadley received shocking news from one of his employers, the Grindhouse Channel. Hadley had a regular gig writing about 1,000 words a week for the Roku channel’s website.

“It has come to our attention that you have been sending more than one electronic message or ‘Tweet’ to @RealDonaldTrump that can be construed as threatening over the past few months,” Hadley’s boss Darrin Uzynski wrote in an email. Sending threats to a sitting president or presidential candidate was a criminal offense, Uzynski added, and the company was severing its contract with him “upon advice of counsel”.

Uzynski later told Hadley that the company had been contacted by the Secret Service, prompting the firing.

While free speech experts say that it is not unusual for the Secret Service to contact people over online threats, the scope of the investigation into Hadley raises red flags.

Uzynski said he had been called by a Secret Service agent, who told him about Hadley’s tweets and asked whether his drafts had been edited to remove “inflammatory” statements.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/30/twitter-troll-trump-josh-hadley-secret-service-press-freedom

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Man who tweeted about killing Trump loses his job
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:36:29 am »
Donald Trump may be this country’s Twitter-troll-in-chief, but those tempted to troll him back, beware.

Ridiculous article. Insinuates that the man was just merely trolling him back, as if he was saying "hey donny small hands" or something. Threatening to kill is not trolling in any universe.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »
Josh Hadley, a 41-year-old freelance film journalist and podcaster
I can see why he has so much time on his hands and can tweet so much. "Trolling" implies a lot more than 30 tweets, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
The idiot was definitely sending messages that could be construed as threats. Even if you're not the prez, if you get messages from some troll concerning your death, you might start getting a little worried.
Maybe news of his firing will stop other liberal morons from sending similar messages....but I won't hold my breath.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »

How does a "freelance film journalist and podcaster," lose his job?  Did McDonalds fire him?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »
How does a "freelance film journalist and podcaster," lose his job?  Did McDonalds fire him?
He was a regular contributor to some Roku channel, Grindhouse....they simply didn't renew his contract or suspended it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:11:57 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
He was a regular contributor to some Roku channel, Grindhouse....they simply didn't renew his conract or suspended it.

I read that but that's part time work at best.  The term "freelance" would seem to indicate he works for himself and gets paid occasionally for his product.  If he has a regular gig then he should revamp his job title.

yeah, I know, I'm overthinking the whole thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 03:03:45 pm »
Fascinating. Roku has a Grindhouse channel? I need to look into that.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »
"...a regular gig writing about 1,000 words a week for the Roku channel’s website..."

That's a "job"?  This country is screwed...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:15:08 pm »

I'd watch that only because Cliff Osmond and Tim Brown are in it. I certainly wouldn't watch it because of some ...uh.....very nicely shaped, nubile young females.  Oh no, not me.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:28:14 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »

Funny how short shorts and halter tops never really go out of style.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
They say Processed sugar is Bad for your health.  But I think that stuff is all natural. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:32:09 pm »

They say Processed sugar is Bad for your health.  But I think that stuff is all natural.
:beer:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:32:38 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »

I'd process that.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »
I know Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin very, very well.  Let's just say he had plenty of enablers along the way.  He had a cadre of like-minded folks yucking it up with him in the coffee shops there. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

All natural?  So is poison ivy.  Bee stings.  Snake bites.  Arsenic in peach pits and apple seeds.  PCB's in a pile of decaying leaves. I ain't about to drink hemlock tea.
John Steinbeck

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »
Clean your sun glasses Lando.  They are fogged over again!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
Clean your sun glasses Lando.  They are fogged over again!

Again?  Thanks Wing (that's okay, right?  I mean, calling you Wing.  Or would you prefer Mr. Nut?)
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »

Josh Hadley
John Steinbeck

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
Again?  Thanks Wing (that's okay, right?  I mean, calling you Wing.  Or would you prefer Mr. Nut?)

Now you can call me Wing, or you can call me Nut, or you can call me Nutty, or you can call me Buddy or you can call me , Wingie or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Wing N, or you can call me WN, or you can call me WNJ, or you can call me WNJ Jr."but you doesn't hasta call me Wingnut!"

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »

A terrorist threat, is a terrorist threat. A felony most places,, and twitter is not an exception it appears.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln