Author Topic: Can you spot the error? Man defending home against burglars goes to jail...  (Read 2943 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Homeowner charged with manslaughter for shooting at home invasion suspects

Published January 31, 2017 

A Minnesota homeowner is facing manslaughter charges after he told police he shot at a group of men who had tried breaking into his home, and one of the suspects later died in the hospital.

David Allen Pettersen, 65, called police around 7 a.m. Saturday to report a possible burglary and shooting at his home in Fieldon Township, just south of Madelia. According to the charging documents, Pettersen told the dispatcher he fired his handgun at a gray car that was leaving his property after an attempted burglary.

A deputy responding to the call found the car 2 miles north of Pettersen's home, with three people inside. One of the passengers, 19-year-old Nicolas Thomas Embertson, had a gunshot wound and later died at Madelia Hospital.

Another passenger, 18-year-old Kyle Thomas Nason, had a broken ankle. He told police that he, Embertson and a third man -- 18-year-old Cornelius Ayers -- were at Pettersen's home to "case" it for a future burglary.

Nason said his friends gave him a boost onto the second-level deck of the home, and that he injured his ankle when making the 10-foot jump back down. He told police he heard two loud bangs as Embertson drove away from the home. As they were headed down the driveway, Embertson said, "I think I've been hit," before losing consciousness. Nason continued driving the car until they were stopped by the deputy responding to Petterson's 911 call.

Pettersen told investigators he was in bed when he heard someone trying to open a door to the deck. He saw the person jump from the deck and crawl toward a car, at which point he grabbed a .45 caliber handgun and tried to shoot the tires of the car. Pettersen said he was about 10 feet from the car when he fired two or three shots.

Pettersen was arrested and booked into the Watonwan County Jail. Monday morning, he was charged with second-degree manslaughter and reckless discharge of a firearm.

"The law does say a self-defense law, but what we've gathered so far, we feel we have enough to charge him with second-degree manslaughter," Watonwan County Chief Deputy Jeremy Nachreiner told KEYC-TV in Mankato. END ARTICLE

A prize will be given to the first poster to correctly identify what the homeowner did incorrectly that put him on the wrong side of the law.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
homeowner is facing manslaughter charges after he told police he shot at a group of men who had tried breaking into his home
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

Was the car off his property at the time of the shooting?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
"...fired his handgun at a gray car that was leaving his property..."
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Lando Lincoln

homeowner is facing manslaughter charges after he told police he shot at a group of men who had tried breaking into his home

Pettersen told the dispatcher he fired his handgun at a gray car that was leaving his property

The threat had ended.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

He forgot to say, "It's coming right for us!"
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

He also missed from 10 feet.  Had he hit the tires, the punks would have driven away on the rims and never turned him in as they'd have to admit to (attempted burglary?)

Oh, wait, he called the cops on himself.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The car was off his property and fleeing the scene. The risk of eminent danger that would justify self-defense and castle doctrine don't apply.

He crossed the line from self/property-defense to being a vigilante.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Will a jury convict him?

Offline Lando Lincoln

Will a jury convict him?

This is Minnesota.  I wouldn't want to be on trial.
John Steinbeck

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
A 45 is going to make a big ass hole in anything it hits.
No wonder the guy died.

Hollywood has it all wrong. Getting shot in the shoulder will kill you. 'Just a flesh wound' will kill you.
Getting shot with a military 45 anywhere, and you are in serious trouble.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Wingnut

This is Minnesota.  I wouldn't want to be on trial.
GFT.

They are going to hang this guy.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
GFT.

I understand what he did and I understand why he did it. I can easily see myself doing the same thing.
But still, his life as it was, is now changed forever.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Never discharge your weapon when the threat has ended and especially when it exceeds the bounds of your property. Reckless.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Frank Cannon

Pettersen told the dispatcher he fired his handgun at a gray car that was leaving his property

The threat had ended.

What if they were going for guns? In some states this would be a legal kill.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Never discharge your weapon when the threat has ended and especially when it exceeds the bounds of your property. Reckless.
Precisely. No imminent threat, fleeing suspects, bad shot (if he was aiming for tires), in a Liberal state.

Bad juju all around.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

What if they were going for guns? In some states this would be a legal kill.
They'd have to have guns on their person/in the car. If they are out burgling together, chances there's someone there with priors, and maybe a felon. If they had a gun with them, that could backfire on the would-be thieves, with serious prosecutorial discretion.

But the guy is in Minnesota, not known for being a bastion of Castle Doctrine, but a state with far more liberal leanings. Basically, short of an imminent threat, the guy screwed the pooch banging away at fleeing suspects.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

Re: Can you spot the error? Man defending home against burglars goes to jail...
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 12:00:24 am »
@Offline LateForLunch

Shoot them on your property and you get a medal in Texas.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:39 am »
They'd have to have guns on their person/in the car. If they are out burgling together, chances there's someone there with priors, and maybe a felon. If they had a gun with them, that could backfire on the would-be thieves, with serious prosecutorial discretion.

But the guy is in Minnesota, not known for being a bastion of Castle Doctrine, but a state with far more liberal leanings. Basically, short of an imminent threat, the guy screwed the pooch banging away at fleeing suspects.

This guys problem is he didn't knock down all three and plant a weapon on one of them.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 12:11:24 am »
This guys problem is he didn't knock down all three and plant a weapon on one of them.
:nometalk:... but you have a point.

Still, a good throwdown piece isn't as easy to come by as it used to be...

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:52 am »
GFT.

GFT?
John Steinbeck

Offline Frank Cannon

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 12:25:05 am »
Go Forth Tony.

22222frying pan

I deserved that! 

QFT

FIAT

geronl

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:48 am »
His error is living in a liberal state?

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 12:54:56 am »
His error is living in a liberal state?

He is 65.  Where The F is he going to go?  Maybe he could live in your basement?