Author Topic: Dems boycott confirmation votes for Trump nominees  (Read 1806 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems boycott confirmation votes for Trump nominees
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:51 pm »
By Peter Schroeder - 01/31/17 10:29 AM EST

Senate Democrats on Tuesday refused to attend a committee vote on two President Trump’s more controversial nominees, effectively delaying their consideration.

Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee boycotted votes to advance Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), Trump’s pick to head the Department of Health and Human Services, and Steven Mnuchin, his selection to head the Treasury Department. The pair had been among some of the more contentious selections to join Trump’s Cabinet.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/317076-dems-boycott-confirmation-votes-for-trump-nominees
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Dems boycott confirmation votes for Trump nominees
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:42:41 pm »

Senate Democrats on Tuesday refused to attend a committee vote on two President Trump’s more controversial nominees, effectively delaying their consideration.

Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee boycotted votes to advance Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), Trump’s pick to head the Department of Health and Human Services, and Steven Mnuchin, his selection to head the Treasury Department. The pair had been among some of the more contentious selections to join Trump’s Cabinet.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/317076-dems-boycott-confirmation-votes-for-trump-nominees

If that's the way it's going to be, can't the Turtle recess the Senate, and Trump can recess appointment his Cabinet picks and SC nominee? I understand that's only a temporary fix, though.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »
So they abstain from the vote...

Yea.. that will accomplish something.. /snark.

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:47:07 pm »

Senate Democrats on Tuesday refused to attend a committee vote on two of President Trump’s more controversial nominees, effectively delaying their consideration.

Republicans expressed outrage at the move, while Democrats gathered outside the Senate Finance Committee hearing room to outline their gripes with the selections.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:47:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:31 pm »
So they abstain from the vote...

Yea.. that will accomplish something.. /snark.

Didn't see it in the article, but I suspect without them they don't have a quorum.

I guess since there's no one to run them, those departments will have to be shut down in the meantime.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »
Turtle needs to make a point of order that if you boycotted a committee vote on one of the nominees...you are exempt from any attempt at a filibuster when the full Senate votes.

Find any way he can with the arcane Senate rules to prevent the Libs from getting their numbers together to do this in the future.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:20:22 pm »
Republicans recently did something similar in Delaware for one of their cabinet picks.  With 10 R's and 10 D's, as long as they rotate one Senator to not attend each vote, there won't be a tie that would allow the lieutenant governor (a Dem) to vote, and the Dems don't have a majority.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 06:24:29 pm »
Republicans recently did something similar in Delaware for one of their cabinet picks.  With 10 R's and 10 D's, as long as they rotate one Senator to not attend each vote, there won't be a tie that would allow the lieutenant governor (a Dem) to vote, and the Dems don't have a majority.

Wisconsin Rats did the same thing a few years back.  Bolted across the border to The Clocktower Inn in Rockford IL and spent a week.

@Lando Lincoln @Once-Ler

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:18 pm »
Turtle needs to make a point of order that if you boycotted a committee vote on one of the nominees...you are exempt from any attempt at a filibuster when the full Senate votes.

Find any way he can with the arcane Senate rules to prevent the Libs from getting their numbers together to do this in the future.

Yeah, and I'm holding my breath for McConnell to do the right thing. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:15 pm »

You and me both.  He only seems to invoke Roberts Rules when it helps Democrats.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
Wisconsin Rats did the same thing a few years back.  Bolted across the border to The Clocktower Inn in Rockford IL and spent a week.

Oh, yeah...I remember that!

I think the Delaware senator was in Maryland.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 06:40:41 pm »

@Lando Lincoln @Once-Ler

Dems in Texas did the same thing...they were found by Texas DPS officers hanging out in a diner in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:56 pm »
Oh, yeah...I remember that!

I think the Delaware senator was in Maryland.

Dems in Texas did the same thing...they were found by Texas DPS officers hanging out in a diner in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

The chicken bleeps are so original.  It's a wonder they can breed without the use of artificial insemination and directions printed on the straw so they don't drink out of it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
The chicken bleeps are so original.  It's a wonder they can breed without the use of artificial insemination and directions printed on the straw so they don't drink out of it.

For most of them it's good that breathing is an automatic function.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:49 pm »
Didn't see it in the article, but I suspect without them they don't have a quorum.

I guess since there's no one to run them, those departments will have to be shut down in the meantime.

Yep...turn-about is fair play.   Blame the Democrats for the government/departmental shut-downs.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 07:07:20 pm »

@Lando Lincoln @Once-Ler

Democrat legislators in Texas also have a history of fleeing the state to avoid a quorum.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 07:08:33 pm »

Glad you beat me to it, I couldn't remember the name of the town...Ardmore. lol

If Trump pushes them hard enough, they may flee to Havana, and never be heard from again.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »
Glad you beat me to it, I couldn't remember the name of the town...Ardmore. lol

If Trump pushes them hard enough, they may flee to Havana, and never be heard from again.

I only remember that it was Ardmore cause that's where my family is from and I spent my summers there as a kid.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »
Like little children.   

One of these days we will get people in Washington who are actually all grown up. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 07:38:55 pm »

Prepare to turn blue.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 07:52:16 pm »

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 09:07:25 am »

@Lando Lincoln @Once-Ler

This is how rats behave when they are out of power.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/17/133847336/wis-democratic-lawmakers-flee-to-prevent-vote

That was in 2011...one month after Governor Walker was sworn in.  The rats could not recognize reality because of the nonstop ranting and raving of their minions.  In the end the rats won next to nothing for their efforts.  The state union collective bargaining reforms that Walker wanted were passed and Walker has since won a state recall and a reelection.

Governor Walker rode a wave election in 2010 that gave the GOP 4 seats in the State Senate to give them a majority of 19 out of 33 seats.  the rats won back 2 State Senate seats due to a recall, still giving the GOP a 17-16 majority.  Emboldened by their "success" the rats would go on to launch several more State Senate recalls finally taking control of the State Senate with a 17 to 16 majority on July 17th 2012...only to lose the majority in the Nov 2012 elections again 17-16.  In 2014 the GOP added 2 more seats and 1 more in 2016 to give them a 20 to 13 majority today.

At that time in 2011 the GOP controlled 58 out of 99 in our State Assembly (what most states call their State House) in 2012 the GOP added 2 seats to 60.  In 2014 the GOP added 3 seats to 63 and last November the GOP added one more.

rat tantrums often translate into GOP gains. :pop41:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 12:16:24 pm »
This is how rats behave when they are out of power.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/17/133847336/wis-democratic-lawmakers-flee-to-prevent-vote

That was in 2011...one month after Governor Walker was sworn in.  The rats could not recognize reality because of the nonstop ranting and raving of their minions.  In the end the rats won next to nothing for their efforts.  The state union collective bargaining reforms that Walker wanted were passed and Walker has since won a state recall and a reelection.

Governor Walker rode a wave election in 2010 that gave the GOP 4 seats in the State Senate to give them a majority of 19 out of 33 seats.  the rats won back 2 State Senate seats due to a recall, still giving the GOP a 17-16 majority.  Emboldened by their "success" the rats would go on to launch several more State Senate recalls finally taking control of the State Senate with a 17 to 16 majority on July 17th 2012...only to lose the majority in the Nov 2012 elections again 17-16.  In 2014 the GOP added 2 more seats and 1 more in 2016 to give them a 20 to 13 majority today.

At that time in 2011 the GOP controlled 58 out of 99 in our State Assembly (what most states call their State House) in 2012 the GOP added 2 seats to 60.  In 2014 the GOP added 3 seats to 63 and last November the GOP added one more.

rat tantrums often translate into GOP gains. :pop41:

Rat's behave this way because when they no longer have any hold at all on the government teat, which is their lifeline, they have NOTHING to sell and their fundraising dries up!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien