Author Topic: Spaceworks may have a real-world stasis chamber for space travel by 2018  (Read 1570 times)

Offline kevindavis007

A process traditionally used to treat cardiac arrest or traumatic brain injury is now showing promise as a possible method to enable long-term space travel through hibernation. Behind this effort is John A. Bradford, president of Spaceworks, and making this a reality is much closer than you might think.

Doctors refer to this strategy as something called “therapeutic hypothermia.” Essentially, the body is cooled slowly to a temperature between 32 and 34 degrees Celsius (normal body temperature is 37C). This will slow down both heart rate and blood pressure, giving doctors additional time to work on serious health issues.

The patient stays in stasis for about 2-4 days, although the technique has worked for as long as two weeks without any measurable harm. There’s evidence that even longer periods of stasis may be possible: a Japanese man once survived 24 days in a hypothermic state after a fall off a mountain ledge in Japan.

Bradford hopes through additional work to extend the safe period for stasis out to months, and says this technology and the equipment necessary can be automated easily and made space-ready.

Now, don’t assume that these stasis chambers will be like those you see in science fiction movies. While single person pods do work well, having enough of these would add a lot of additional weight to a spacecraft. Instead, Spaceworks is working on an open chamber capable of holding multiple crew members.

“There would be some robotic arms and monitoring systems taking care of [the passengers]. They’d have small transnasal tubes for the cooling and some warming systems as well, to bring them back from stasis,” Bradford told Quartz in an interview. Another key difference from sci-fi is how stasis would work.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/01/spaceworks-may-have-real-world-stasis.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

Re: Spaceworks may have a real-world stasis chamber for space travel by 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:57:17 pm »
and then on the 134th day of the journey to Alpha Centauri, the computer received a Microsoft update that caused a critical failure in the breathing apparatus, inflating the passengers until they burst like balloons!

This method has not been shown to slow down the aging process or a myriad of other things that need to be addressed

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:01:03 pm »
and then on the 134th day of the journey to Alpha Centauri, the computer received a Microsoft update that caused a critical failure in the breathing apparatus, inflating the passengers until they burst like balloons!

This method has not been shown to slow down the aging process or a myriad of other things that need to be addressed

I hope to god the Ships is not run by Microsoft.. Hopefully the ship has a Linux OS system.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:47:59 pm »

I hope to god the Ships is not run by Microsoft.. Hopefully the ship has a Linux OS system.

And hopefully, all of the drivers compiled correctly.   :smokin:
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:57 am »

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:09:17 pm »

Ehhhhh, ubuntu would be ok. Everything else I've tried that is Linux has innumerable bugs, that has a GUI component. Linux Mint was a disappointing disaster IMO.

Is it just the GUI that's buggy?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
Is it just the GUI that's buggy?

It's nothing.  WTF's experience is just that, only his experience.  Linux Mint works just fine for pretty much everyone else who uses it.  And claiming that Linux has "innumerable bugs" is just silly talk.  It's just not true.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:34:32 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:28 am »
It's nothing.  WTF's experience is just that, only his experience.  Linux Mint works just fine for pretty much everyone else who uses it.  And claiming that Linux has "innumerable bugs" is just silly talk.  It's just not true.

Well, I'm quite sure it has its own fair share of bugs.  Other than the "Hello world" program I wrote in Atari basic back in 1984 on my Atari 800, I doubt there are many programs out there that do not have at least a few bugs.  That being said, linux' share of bugs is, I think, much smaller than, say, Windows' share of bugs.