Author Topic: Democrats: This SCOTUS Seat is 'Stolen' and We'll Filibuster Anyone Trump Picks  (Read 744 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Democrats: This SCOTUS Seat is 'Stolen' and We'll Filibuster Anyone Trump Picks
Guy Benson
1/30/2017 3:55:00 PM -

With their angry left-wing base whipped into a frenzy of opposition on virtually every imaginable front, some Senate Democrats are promising to wage a filibuster against President Trump's yet-unnamed Supreme Court nominee. The president will unveil his selection tomorrow evening, yet Democrats are preemptively vowing to obstruct anyone he chooses -- retaliation, they say, for Republicans' refusal to consider the nomination of Merrick Garland under the Biden Rule. Battle lines, drawn:

Senate Democrats are going to try to bring down President Donald Trump's Supreme Court pick no matter who the president chooses to the fill the current vacancy. With Trump prepared to announce his nominee on Tuesday evening, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) said in an interview on Monday morning that he will filibuster any pick that is not Merrick Garland and that the vast majority of his caucus will oppose Trump’s nomination. That means Trump's nominee will need 60 votes to be confirmed by the Senate. “This is a stolen seat. This is the first time a Senate majority has stolen a seat,” Merkley said in an interview. “We will use every lever in our power to stop this.” It’s a move that will prompt a massive partisan battle over Trump’s nominee and could lead to an unraveling of the Senate rules if Merkley is able to get 41 Democrats to join him in a filibuster. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) also reminded her Twitter followers on Sunday night that Supreme Court nominees can still be blocked by the Senate minority, unlike all other executive and judicial nominees.

more
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2017/01/30/battle-ahead-conservatives-prepare-ad-blitz-in-support-of-trump-scotus-pick-n2278734
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

Good thing Mitch can be counted on...  No really folks! We had to elect him no matter what! /S

Offline Frank Cannon

It’s a move that will prompt a massive partisan battle over Trump’s nominee and could lead to an unraveling of the Senate rules if Merkley is able to get 41 Democrats to join him in a filibuster. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) also reminded her Twitter followers on Sunday night that Supreme Court nominees can still be blocked by the Senate minority, unlike all other executive and judicial nominees.

Maybe these cavalier Rat Senators should look at their 2018 reelection map. They're cruising for a bruising and this nonsense will seal their fate.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
At some point -- if Mitch the turtle refuses to push the nuclear button -- Trump is going to have to go face-to-face with McConnell and the rest of the Republican Senate and read 'em the riot act.

Actually, Trump should make it clear to Schumer and the democrats -- stop the obstruction, or he'll do a recess appointment.

And then... do it.
And do the same for the next vacancy, etc.

I'm sure there are PLENTY of very conservative judges out there, who wouldn't mind serving a 1-to-2-year hitch as a United States Supreme Court Justice...

Addendum:
The more I think about "short-term Supreme Court Justices", the more I like the idea.
I don't believe that Court seats should be lifetime appointments.
It might do us well to "cycle through" some new blood. Give up-and-coming jurists a shot at the big time.
Some may flop. But I think most will rise to the occasion.
And even if they serve only two years at first, a good record on the Court will garner them a chance for a permanent appointment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:34:33 am by Fishrrman »

Offline bilo

It’s a move that will prompt a massive partisan battle over Trump’s nominee and could lead to an unraveling of the Senate rules if Merkley is able to get 41 Democrats to join him in a filibuster. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) also reminded her Twitter followers on Sunday night that Supreme Court nominees can still be blocked by the Senate minority, unlike all other executive and judicial nominees.

Maybe these cavalier Rat Senators should look at their 2018 reelection map. They're cruising for a bruising and this nonsense will seal their fate.

From what I've seen the only thing that will save the Rats from a blow out in 2018 will be the Pubs. If the Pubs hesitate to repeal obamacare, pass tax cuts, build the wall, strengthen immigration control, and confirm conservative judges it will be Pub voters who don't show up at the polls. So far Pres. Trump has done what he said he would. He hasn't been very subtle or genteel, but he has done what he said he would and he does deserve credit for it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

We will find out in the next couple months if 3 Pub Senators are going to side with the Rats, or stand with the Pubs. I can think of 4 that worry me; McCain, Graham, Rubio, Hatch.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

We will find out in the next couple months if 3 Pub Senators are going to side with the Rats, or stand with the Pubs. I can think of 4 that worry me; McCain, Graham, Rubio, Hatch.

Trump is supposed to nominate a justice tomorrow night; we'll know soon enough.  I'm more worried about what our Senate Leadership is going to do...he still holds the keys to the Kingdom and all his kingmakers in the past have followed suit.  Hopefully the 'Turtle' will crawl out of the swamp.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.