Author Topic: Chuck Schumer: Democrats will seek to delay votes on Trump Cabinet nominees in response to executive order  (Read 798 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/schumer-democrats-delay-votes-on-trump-cabinet-nominees-executive-order-immigration-2017-1

by Maxwell Tani

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced on Monday that Democrats were hoping to delay votes on President Donald Trump's Cabinet picks in protest of his Friday executive order barring people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US.

The New York Democrat said on the "Today" show that what he described as Trump's "appalling" order would encourage lone-wolf-style attacks in America, and he pledged that Democrats would introduce legislation later Monday evening to repeal the ban.

"This evening I will ask for a vote on the floor of the Senate to repeal this," Schumer said, saying that Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California drafted a bill to repeal the ban.

He continued: "I hope that Mitch McConnell allows that vote. Already, 11 Republicans, not just the ones you've shown, have already spoken out against it. We should repeal this, and then we should sit down, and in a careful, thoughtful way we need to tighten up things against terrorism."

Schumer also said Democrats would seek to delay the vote on Rex Tillerson for secretary of state as well as other Cabinet nominees.

"I'm going to ask for a delay, whether McConnell grants it, you know, they run the Senate," Schumer said, adding, "I think we're going to ask about it for just about every one."

When "Today" host Matt Lauer said Senate Republicans would push back, Schumer interjected.

"Oh, please," he replied. "This is so important to America. Aren't the American people entitled to know the positions of these Cabinet people before they come in?"

Trump lashed out at Schumer for seeking to delay Cabinet votes.

During a business roundtable on Monday, the president said Democrats were "not behaving well at all" and mocked Schumer for crying while decrying Trump's immigration order onstage with refugees from Iraq and Syria on Sunday.

"I'm going to ask him who is his acting coach," Trump said. "I know him very well — I don't see him as a crier."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
When the rats are this agitated someone must be doing something VERY good!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Chuck Schumer: Democrats will seek to delay votes on Trump Cabinet nominees in response to executive order

Careful Chuckie...that slow roll thing can work both ways.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Let's see what Mitch does!  I KNOW what he should do!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Let's see what Mitch does!  I KNOW what he should do!

Yeah but we both know what the Kentucky Turtle is going to do.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yeah but we both know what the Kentucky Turtle is going to do.

Maybe he will surprise us this time.  I won't be holding my breath but it's possible!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Rule change time. Go nuclear.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Rule change time. Go nuclear.

Not necessary yet!  Just announce that the senate will be working 16 hours a day 7 days a week until every last one of Trump's appointees has had an up or down vote!  If he did that things would be resolved very quickly!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

NOTE THE DATE OF THIS TWEET FROM THE SCHMUCK AND WHAT HE SAID THEN

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:02:41 pm by MOD8 »

Offline RetBobbyMI

Not necessary yet!  Just announce that the senate will be working 16 hours a day 7 days a week until every last one of Trump's appointees has had an up or down vote!  If he did that things would be resolved very quickly!
Won't work. McTurtle won't work more than 16 hours in a week. Go nuclear and sideline the smucks. While their at it eliminate the unanimous consent rule. The senate can change rule with a simple majority.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

HonestJohn

No Congressman will vote for that, regardless of party!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No Congressman will vote for that, regardless of party!

I don't belive that they get that luxury.  I believe that the majority leader sets the schedule and that's that.  As to Mitch actually doing that,  lets just say I'm not holding my breath.

- J. R. R. Tolkien