Author Topic: The man behind Trump? Still Steve Bannon  (Read 1201 times)

Online corbe

The man behind Trump? Still Steve Bannon
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »

The man behind Trump? Still Steve Bannon

In the 10 days since the inauguration, Bannon has rapidly amassed power in the West Wing.

By Josh Dawsey, Eliana Johnson and Annie Karni
  | 01/29/17 11:20 PM EST
  |  Updated 01/30/17 12:00 AM EST

As protests erupted around the country late Saturday in response to President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration, many of his key White House staff left for the black-tie Alfalfa Club dinner — but not his top adviser, Steve Bannon, who stayed behind at the White House with the president, according to a senior White House official.

In the 10 days since Trump’s inauguration, Bannon — the former head of Breitbart News — has rapidly amassed power in the West Wing, eclipsing chief of staff Reince Priebus, who was among those at the Alfalfa Club event. Along with charting the early direction of the Trump administration, he’s been named to a seat on the National Security Council, giving him a part in the nation’s most sensitive intelligence operations.

Bannon and senior presidential adviser Stephen Miller helped lay the political and ideological foundations for Trump’s rise before Trump came on the scene. Breitbart was instrumental in promoting the idea that establishment Republican lawmakers had betrayed American workers on issues like immigration and trade, a theme Trump rode to victory in November.

They’ve been responsible for setting an “action plan” for Trump’s first weeks in the White House, developing executive orders and memoranda, and deciding when Trump would sign each new document, according to people familiar with the process.

The plan has so far produced executive actions weakening Obamacare, beefing up immigration enforcement and freezing federal hiring — and on preventing refugees and visa-holders from several Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S.

“He’s telling Trump that he can do everything he said he would do on the campaign trail,” said a person close to the administration.

That’s won Bannon the president’s favor, and endeared him to his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner. Rather than telling Trump what he can’t do, Bannon — a self-made multimillionaire whom Trump sees as a peer rather than as an employee, according to people familiar with their relationship — has positioned himself alongside the president as an enemy of the Washington establishment, including the Republican Party.

During the transition, Bannon stayed away from many of the lower-level hiring decisions and avoided staff meetings that others attended, and focused instead on shaping the Cabinet. He was "integral" in the process of selecting Trump’s appointees, one person close to the team said.

Unlike some of Trump's other advisers, Bannon doesn't often appear on television or go to Washington dinners. He swears frequently and often dresses more casually than most White House staff, and generally seems most comfortable huddling with Trump privately or standing off to the side during large meetings.

“He has a great understanding of the American public and why Trump won the election, and he tells Trump about what people are really upset about and what they’re really concerned about,” said former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani. And, Giuliani added, “Trump generally agrees with him.”

Bannon’s rise has worried Trump’s critics because he led Breitbart News, which associates itself with the alt-right and groups supporting nationalism and other fringe beliefs. After he was hired in the White House, the Southern Poverty Law Center called him “the main driver behind Breitbart becoming a white ethno-nationalist propaganda mill.” Bannon and his friends have denied the attacks and say he is neither racist nor anti-Semitic.

At Bannon’s right hand is Miller, a close ideological ally who traveled with Trump almost constantly during the campaign, forging a close bond with him and even introducing Trump at rallies.

Together, Bannon and Miller wrote Trump’s inaugural address. Since his swearing in, they’ve pushed Trump to take his most combative stances, particularly toward the media.

Both men have sometimes clashed with other Republican and White House staffers, who have accused them of keeping information from others. And other White House aides have worried that their policies are being implemented too quickly with little planning. Yet Trump seems to appreciate Bannon and Miller.

“Steve mastered [Trump’s] voice,” said the person close to the administration, referring to Miller. “He takes him stuff he knows the president will like, and he puts it in words the president will want to say.”

The working relationship between Bannon and Miller stretches back to 2013, when Miller was an aide to Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Alabama Republican who’s now Trump’s nominee for attorney general. The two worked together to scuttle the Gang of Eight immigration reform bill, which many Republicans thought was a done deal in the wake of Mitt Romney’s 2012 defeat, when the party was focused on reaching out to Latino voters.

Miller provided Breitbart a constant flow of information designed to undermine the bill, which surfaced in articles on the website and ricocheted through Washington. The general thrust presaged Trump’s campaign with the argument that comprehensive immigration reform was orchestrated by a cadre of elites — politicians, CEOs, special interests — with an interest in importing cheap foreign labor at the expense of American workers.

The immigration reform bill ultimately died after then-House Speaker John Boehner refused to bring it to the floor for a vote.

On Sunday, #StopPresidentBannon was trending on Twitter as protests raged at airports across the country in reaction to Friday’s executive order prohibiting Syrian refugees and travelers from seven Muslim countries from entering the United States as well as Bannon’s elevation to the NSC.

The president's sharpest critics seized on Bannon’s addition to the NSC as another sign Trump will take a hard-right approach to governing.

“Steve Bannon is not on the White House staff for his national security expertise,” said Paul Begala, a former political adviser to President Bill Clinton. “He’s there because he was a successful publisher of what he describes as a platform for the alt-right, which is part of Trump’s base. That’s politics. There should be no seat at the table at the NSC for that person.”

<..snip..>

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/donald-trump-steve-bannon-234347
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The man behind Trump? Still Steve Bannon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
Not good..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »
Oh no! The Rat house organ Polutico is sad that George Soros isn't running the WH agenda anymore. Can someone please pass me a Kleenex?

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
  Some articles I post here are to be taken more serious than others, @Frank Cannon

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 06:55:21 pm »
The man who wants to watch the world burn might soon have the power to light the match

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:56:03 pm »
Oh no! The Rat house organ Polutico is sad that George Soros isn't running the WH agenda anymore. Can someone please pass me a Kleenex?

Use yer sleeve. I cannot arise from my fainting couch, being overcome by the vapors.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:08:31 pm »
  Some articles I post here are to be taken more serious than others, @Frank Cannon

Remember the good old days when a Valerie Jarrett style 'adviser' was a bad thing?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 07:09:43 pm »
Remember the good old days when a Valerie Jarrett style 'adviser' was a bad thing?

Who cares our guy is doing it now.. You RINO lover..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:12:41 pm »

Wait...I thought I was a terrorist?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online corbe

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:13:50 pm »

I heard he hates Cheetos's too, he should be locked up in the 'new and improved' TEMA camps for the good of society.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:04:01 pm »

I didn't think Bannon was that hot a pick and I personally didn't like him, but so far he hasn't done anything tangible to upset me. This article is nothing but unnamed sources grinding an ax. When someone can show me clear Communist ties, shady Chicago deals and an overall incompetence like Jarrett, I'll hop on your bandwagon. Until then I will see Polutico in the link and take it for the bottom feeding shit it is.

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 10:10:45 pm »
Wait...I thought I was a terrorist?

Terrorist RINO?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:22 pm »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:13 am »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 12:37:32 am »
I don't think bannon hates Jews or blacks or any race. The reason I oppose him is I feel his beliefs (protectionism, nationalism) will have a terrible end for the country. His speeches and written words make trump look like an idiot and his decisions have been terrible so far (as seen from this weekend)

Bannon greatly overestimates his and trumps popularity and his hubris will be his and trumps downfall.

None of you believe me of course. I'd prepare for a chaotic 4 years. This will be nothing like any of us have ever experienced.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:17 am »
I don't think bannon hates Jews or blacks or any race. The reason I oppose him is I feel his beliefs (protectionism, nationalism) will have a terrible end for the country. His speeches and written words make trump look like an idiot and his decisions have been terrible so far (as seen from this weekend)

I am not sure what to think of this new ascendance of protectionism.   I've always supported the concept of free trade,  but events have led me to question this orthodoxy.

Bannon greatly overestimates his and trumps popularity and his hubris will be his and trumps downfall.

None of you believe me of course. I'd prepare for a chaotic 4 years. This will be nothing like any of us have ever experienced.

I think it will be a chaotic 4 years,  but probably for different reasons than you do.   The left has demonstrated that it has no intentions of accepting Trump as President and it is currently working to delegitimize and challenge him in every manner of which they can think. 

They are playing with fire,  and they are too stupid to know that many of us regard this Presidency as one of the lasts hopes for living with them in peace.   As Glenn Reynolds said,  we asked nicely with Romney.  Now we are telling them with Trump. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 01:13:19 am »
Not good..

@kevindavis

Agreed.  Bannon is a sleaze.  People who know him well say he's one of the worst people they've met.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 01:34:30 am »

:amen: