Author Topic: Trump asked for a ‘Muslim ban,’ Giuliani says — and ordered a commission to do it ‘legally’  (Read 5837 times)

HonestJohn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/29/trump-asked-for-a-muslim-ban-giuliani-says-and-ordered-a-commission-to-do-it-legally/?utm_term=.500a1fe7151a

By Amy B Wang
January 29 at 3:32 PM

Former New York mayor Rudy W. Giuliani said President Trump wanted a “Muslim ban” and requested he assemble a commission to show him “the right way to do it legally.”

Giuliani, an early Trump supporter who once had been rumored for a Cabinet position in the new administration, appeared on Fox News late Saturday night to describe how Trump's executive order temporarily banning refugees came together.

Trump signed orders on Friday not only to suspend admission of all refugees into the United States for 120 days but also to implement “new vetting measures” to screen out “radical Islamic terrorists.” Refugee entry from Syria, however, would be suspended indefinitely, and all travel from Syria and six other nations — Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen — is suspended for 90 days. Trump also said he would give priority to Christian refugees over those of other religions, according to the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Fox News host Jeanine Pirro asked Giuliani whether the ban had anything to do with religion.

“How did the president decide the seven countries?” she asked. “Okay, talk to me.”

“I'll tell you the whole history of it,” Giuliani responded eagerly. “So when [Trump] first announced it, he said, 'Muslim ban.' He called me up. He said, 'Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.' "

Giuliani said he assembled a “whole group of other very expert lawyers on this,” including former U.S. attorney general Michael Mukasey, Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Tex.) and Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.).

(more at link)

Offline endicom

Trump's people need to coordinate their statements and exercise some mouth discipline.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump is turning into a Jimmy Carter-like disaster IMO.

Unless something drastic changes.

Rule by idiots.

Offline LottieDah

Trump is turning into a Jimmy Carter-like disaster IMO.

Unless something drastic changes.

Rule by idiots.

Don't bet on any changing.  Trump is Trump and his followers think he can do no wrong.  Pray for America.  We are going to need all the divine intervention we can get.

Offline Applewood

Either these advisors gave a Trump bad advice or Trump ignored their advice.. 

I'm no attorney, but this EO is a piece of ****.  Maybe even illegal.

Offline Applewood

Don't bet on any changing.  Trump is Trump and his followers think he can do no wrong.  Pray for America.  We are going to need all the divine intervention we can get.

You would think that after the disastrous 8-year Obama administration, we could have elected someone better.

Well, there were better candidates, but people were dazzled by a snake oil salesman.   

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Either these advisors gave a Trump bad advice or Trump ignored their advice.. 

I'm no attorney, but this EO is a piece of ****.  Maybe even illegal.

@Applewood

DemWorsethanISIS™ ‏@GodspeedTrumps 2m2 minutes ago More
@mitchellvii The Law is the Law #LawandOrder

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:22:40 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Sean Spicier – ‏@sean_spicier To make the executive order easier to understand, we're changing the name of it to "Ban on People That Would Gladly Behead You & Your Child"

• Technical

That's clearly inaccurate. Every single person who would immigrate from these countries wants to behead us? You must be joking.

That's clearly inaccurate. Every single person who would immigrate from these countries wants to behead us? You must be joking.

No, WTF .... extreme vetting will weed out the killers.  Get it now?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:38:29 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

• Technical
No, WTF .... extreme vetting will weed out the killers.  Get it now?

This isn't "extreme vetting" it's a blanket ban, by nation, on entry visas correct? Not only that, it was an immediate ban on travel to these countries no matter what their statuses.

Very ameteurish and ham-fisted.

Not at all a ban on people who want to behead us. Ridiculous for Spicer to claim that.

This isn't "extreme vetting" it's a blanket ban.... 

Come on WTF, this is a temporary ban while extreme vetting can be implemented.

Just what part of protecting American lives upsets you so?

Offline jpsb

@Right_in_Virginia

The NeverTrumpers are now rooting for the Jahadists from terror prone nations to be allowed unvetted into the USA. LOL, should Trump say no Sharia Law in the USA the NeverTrumpers will come out in support of Sharia Law.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@Right_in_Virginia

The NeverTrumpers are now rooting for the Jahadists from terror prone nations to be allowed unvetted into the USA. LOL, should Trump say no Sharia Law in the USA the NeverTrumpers will come out in support of Sharia Law.

It is partially that. I believe the Leftist/NeverTrumpers/Anarchist/ Hollywood etc., that whole crowd, would welcome a terrorist attack in America because they believe that it would embarrass Trump. That is why they are currently fighting on the same side as Iran and the other global terrorist states.

But it is also about their fanatical and cultish hate of anything and everything Trump does regardless of what it is

They have become irrational crybabies who scream, cry, and throw a tantrum reflexively without even knowing specifically what it is they are upset about.

In short, they are just children who still cannot accept that they lost the election. They have every right to throw a fit and hold their breath but I will continue to laugh at them and to dismiss their silly ill informed rantings.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

@Right_in_Virginia

Ah!  The usual BS from Trump worshipers.  Raise concerns about Trump and suddenly, you are a traitor,,a Trump hater and a jihadi lover. 

There's a right way and a wrong way to fix our present immigration system.  IMHO, this EO is the wrong way. 

By the way, terrorists don't have to come from any of the countries named in the EO.  Didn't one of the recent jihadis here enter from a European country? 

Offline beandog

I have, unfortunately, come to the conclusion that there are certain people around here that don't care if American lives are protected.  They are more concerned about harming President the Donald.  Before the election I stupidly thought this was because they were conservatives that honestly did not believe President the Donald would do the right things when he became president.  I have since changed my opinion.  When you find yourself siding with the liberal press, hollywood and any demonrat, you can know longer consider yourself a conservative.

Anyone who claims they are just "holding his feet to the fire" is lying.  They want him to fail so they can say "we told you so".  This is about their own egos, not President the Donald's. **nononono*

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump's people need to coordinate their statements and exercise some mouth discipline.

I think the street term is 'don't snitch'.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

No,  but enough of them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Right_in_Virginia

Where did you read that?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why would Giuliani say that? 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Applewood

DemWorsethanISIS™ ‏@GodspeedTrumps 2m2 minutes ago More
@mitchellvii The Law is the Law #LawandOrder

And was about the legally vetted green card holders that are also caught up in this ban?

I have no problem at all with putting an immediate stop in refugees coming in from those countries...but stopping legal green card holders as well takes it too far.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Silver Pines

I'm beginning to think Giuliani has creeping dementia.

This whole thing was rolled out in an amateurish way.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Where did you read that?

The voices in her head told her that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline endicom

This is about their own egos, not President the Donald's. **nononono*

Yup. Note that the 'virtue bugling' is always about the bugler and the bugler's righteous self-image. The rest of the world deserves to go to hell for not obeying the bugler.