Author Topic: A mix of despair and resolve for US Muslims in Trump era  (Read 529 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
A mix of despair and resolve for US Muslims in Trump era
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »
Four days after President Donald Trump was inaugurated, mental health counselors hosted a webinar on how their fellow American Muslims could cope. They surveyed the political landscape: a White House framing Islam itself as a threat, a surge in anti-Muslim hostility and suspicion of immigrants in general.

The counselors offered tips such as limiting time on social media. And they cautioned against withdrawing in discouragement, worried about losing whatever foothold Muslims have gained in public life since the crucible of Sept. 11.

"It's very easy to tell a story of victimization, fear, feeling ... not welcome in our own home," said Ben Herzig, a Massachusetts therapist with a specialty in Muslim mental health. "But the narrative of Islam in American can be a positive one."

While many express alarm at Trump's statements, Muslim leaders are pushing back. They are organizing protests, hosting elected officials at their mosques, building ties with other faith groups and encouraging Muslims to run for elected office. Many of these initiatives had been planned before the general election, but have taken on a new urgency since then.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sns-bc-us--trump-american-muslims-20170127-story.html#nt=oft08a-3gp2
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: A mix of despair and resolve for US Muslims in Trump era
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:42 am »
I'll take "despair" for $200 and a green card, Alex...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: A mix of despair and resolve for US Muslims in Trump era
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:25:34 am »
I'll take "despair" for $200 and a green card, Alex...

Ben Herzig, a Massachusetts therapist with a specialty in Muslim mental health

That describes pretty much all non-moslems.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley