Author Topic: Obesity: Self-stigma may raise risk of metabolic syndrome  (Read 737 times)

rangerrebew

Obesity: Self-stigma may raise risk of metabolic syndrome
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:25 pm »
Obesity: Self-stigma may raise risk of metabolic syndrome
Written by Honor Whiteman
Published: Today
email
47Share
A number of studies have shown that individuals who are obese are often stereotyped as "lazy," "lacking in willpower," or "unattractive." New research finds that internalizing such negative perceptions may increase the risk of metabolic syndrome for people who are obese, independent of weight.
[An overweight woman measuring her waist]
Researchers say that internalized weight bias may increase the risk of metabolic syndrome.

Study leader Rebecca Pearl, Ph.D. - an assistant professor of psychology at the Center for Weight and Eating Disorders at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine - and team recently reported their findings in the journal Obesity.

Whether it is using the comment section of a celebrity news website or a post on Facebook, it seems that many people are willing to express their (often negative) opinions on someone else's weight.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315527.php
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:31:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obesity: Self-stigma may raise risk of metabolic syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:50 pm »
In other words, it's not your fault (nor that of the half-gallon of ice cream you just ate)?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »
In other words, it's not your fault (nor that of the half-gallon of ice cream you just ate)?

That's not at all what the article says.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:23 pm »
It blames "body shaming" - that is, the actions of other people - for the obese person's inability to lose weight. I do agree with the conclusion that healthcare providers help by:
treating patients with respect, discussing weight with sensitivity and without judgment, and giving support and encouragement to patients who struggle with weight management
Certainly, support and encouragement are very helpful, but it's still up to the overweight person to choose to change, and no one else can do that for him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »
It blames "body shaming" - that is, the actions of other people - for the obese person's inability to lose weight. I do agree with the conclusion that healthcare providers help by:Certainly, support and encouragement are very helpful, but it's still up to the overweight person to choose to change, and no one else can do that for him.

No it says that obese people internalize negative perceptions and these lead to a poor self image, which leads to a cycle of eating. I've been though this myself.

That that happens is just a fact. To me, acknowledging this fact does not change my opinion of personal responsibility: people can say what they want, and you can choose to internalize this and feel bad about yourself, but at the end of the day the only one who can stop your from making bad choices is yourself.

But, you can still acknowledge that a lot of obese people feel badly about themselves, which lead to more eating. The two are not contradictory IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:57:55 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »