Author Topic: Tell Me What All Those Cabinet Departments Do  (Read 419 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Tell Me What All Those Cabinet Departments Do
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:33:19 pm »

Bruce Bialosky
1/29/2017 12:01:00 AM - Bruce Bialosky

Discussions swirl about the apparent fact that four cabinet secretary-designees have previously spoken of terminating their cabinets. A lot of us would be delighted if they were the last cabinet secretaries for their respective departments. Hopefully, in the interim they will terminate many of the bureaus and agencies under their control. The question is, does anyone know what the purpose of these agencies has become?

For me this issue came more into focus when my wife came home after having lunch with a friend. Her friend, a well-educated person, asked her what is the difference between the Labor and Commerce Departments and why could they not combine. That was a subject worth researching and reporting back to you, my readers.

more
http://townhall.com/columnists/brucebialosky/2017/01/29/tell-me-what-all-those-cabinet-departments-do-n2277194?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Tell Me What All Those Cabinet Departments Do
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
To answer the question in the article, NIST is the national bureau of weights and measures, a very important (if somewhat mundane) function. It, NOAA, the USGS and other scientific agencies never belonged in the Commerce department in the first place.

Otherwise, I agree with the author: Commerce and Labor should be combined into one. There are a few others: VA serves former employees of the Defense department, but why is it its own separate Cabinet-level department, and why can't Health and Human Services handle the medical side of what the VA does? Education's main service is the financial aid process, which is so dependent on the filer's tax returns that it makes more sense to just put it under Treasury oversight. The rest used to be under HHS (when it was Health, Education and Welfare) What exactly does the Department of Energy do that other departments such as Interior and Commerce/Labor couldn't do? Same with HUD, whose sole purpose seems to be to provide a "designated survivor" in the event of a national disaster.

About the only recent cabinet level position that makes any sense is Homeland Security.

So, in the event that there's ever a Fuller administration, I'd have it look more like this:

State - unchanged
Treasury (+FAFSA process from Education)
Defense (+most of VA)
Justice - unchanged
Homeland Security - unchanged
Interior (+Energy, Agriculture except for Food Stamps and HUD)
Labor (+most of Commerce, some of Energy's statistical responsibilities)
Commerce Sciences
Health, Education and Welfare (includes Health and Human Services, rest of Education, medical portions of the VA and Food Stamps), deliberately put last in the succession

Granted, it'd make a few departments such as Interior FAR bigger, but with shared responsibilities, there's opportunity for synergies.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:16:19 pm »

Bruce (the author), in the age of the internet, you still haven't figured out about Wikipedia?

:facepalm2:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »

Bruce (the author), in the age of the internet, you still haven't figured out about Wikipedia?

It's a rhetorical question.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:32:39 pm »

It's the age of populism. Being informed is for elitist globalist shills. Haven't you heard?