Author Topic: Even Legal Green card holders from Trump-restricted countries may not be allowed into US  (Read 4873 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNN

URL: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politics/green-card-donald-trump-travel-ban/

By Pamela Brown and Eli Watkins, CNN

The US government will not automatically allow green card holders who traveled to countries placed under a temporary travel ban back into the United States, two sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

Instead, those travelers will have to apply for a waiver to the executive order that instituted the ban, the sources said. When they land, they will be taken into a secondary screening process to determine their eligibility.

The countries targeted by Trump's executive order include the Muslim-majority nations of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen.

Green card holders already overseas seeking to return to their homes in the US will be processed through a waiver authority that has already been established.
One official said there is a case-by-case admissions process and another said it is being done "expeditiously."

People from the seven countries who have green cards -- a government document granting permanent residence in the US -- should not leave the country because they may not be allowed back in the US, one source familiar with the matter said.

Trump's immigration ban sends shockwaves

There's been significant confusion over the precise terms of Trump's executive order since he signed it Friday afternoon, particularly over how it pertained to visa holders who are traveling and if any different treatment was afforded to green card holders.

Exemptions will be at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department, and criteria for exemptions include refugee status for religious minorities facing persecution, if denying admission would cause undue hardship or if not doing so would not pose a risk to the security or welfare of the US.

Those traveling without a green card who landed in the United States after the order was signed would be detained and put back on a flight to their country of citizenship, an administration official told CNN.

Separately, Department of Homeland Security officials acknowledged people who were in the air would be detained upon arrival and put back on a plane to their home country. A couple dozen people were held overnight at US airports, an official familiar with the matter told CNN.

Two men who had been granted visas filed suit after being detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, although neither was a green card holder and instead entering under visas tied to their involvement with the US military in Iraq.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday it would ban travelers from the United States in response to Trump's temporary ban.

Offline NavyCanDo

This has been a cluster F@#@ with personal stories of detainees hitting the news this Sunday morning, along with the airport protest. Not a well thought through executive order. Cell phones are being taken away, some people  put in handcuffs. One a 76 lady with a green card, another a 21 year old girl a fiancee of a Microsoft employee, a 5 year old boy separated from his family. The stories are only get worse as will the backlash.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This has been a cluster F@#@ with personal stories of detainees hitting the news this Sunday morning, along with the airport protest. Not a well thought through executive order. Cell phones are being taken away, some people  put in handcuffs. One a 76 lady with a green card, another a 21 year old girl a fiancee of a Microsoft employee, a 5 year old boy separated from his family. The stories are only get worse as will the backlash.

This is why you don't let the idiots at Breitbart run things.

Offline NavyCanDo

This is why you don't let the idiots at Breitbart run things.

ABC just showed Trump saying and I quote, "it's working out nicely, it's working out very nicely, you can see it at the airports."

Good God. We have only started hearing the horror stories.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
ABC just showed Trump saying and I quote, "it's working out nicely, it's working out very nicely, you can see it at the airports."

Good God. We have only started hearing the horror stories.

One a 76 lady with a green card

It isn't any worse than the YEARS of having 76 year-old grandmothers from Peoria being manhandled by airport security for trying to cross the goddamned street.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline SirLinksALot

The screwed up implementation aside, let's look at the real INTENT of the executive order.

Here are some FACTS about “TRUMP’S MUSLIM BAN.”

1. It’s not a “BAN.” It’s a 120 day suspension in the processing of visas, intended to give the government time to put in place better vetting procedures.

2. It’s not directed at “MUSLIMS.” It is directed at all individuals, Muslim or non-Muslim, from 7 designated countries. Approximately 90% of the world’s Muslims are totally unaffected.

3. The countries were not put on a list BY TRUMP. In fact, these countries were designated by the OBAMA ADMINISTRATION.

That aside, the implementation has been screwed up. Good intentions should not be confused with end results.

Offline NavyCanDo

It should have never been put into effect immediately, with VISA holding travelers in the air impacted, not to mention the chaos it caused for our airlines and airports.And I'm sure we will be hearing soon from Microsoft, Boeing, Google, Amazon, the Auto industries and others on how this ban effected them with both employees and customers flying in from these countries.

The way this was written and managed has been a disaster.

Oceander

It should have never been put into effect immediately, with VISA holding travelers in the air impacted, not to mention the chaos it caused for our airlines and airports.And I'm sure we will be hearing soon from Microsoft, Boeing, Google, Amazon, the Auto industries and others on how this ban effected them with both employees and customers flying in from these countries.

The way this was written and managed has been a disaster.

Welcome to the Trump administration.   At least four more years to go. 

Offline NavyCanDo

Welcome to the Trump administration.   At least four more years to go.

And I was admitting that many of the decisions made by the administration during the first 7 days had actually been pretty good, when he comes up with this cluster disaster of a executive order. He should this very morning repeal and replace it with a something tht makes common sense, before the news gets worse.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:30:33 pm by NavyCanDo »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
And I was admitting that many of the decisions made by the administration during the first 7 days had actually been pretty good, when he comes up with this cluster F&#@.

How is this personally affecting you?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

And I was admitting that many of the decisions made by the administration during the first 7 days had actually been pretty good, when he comes up with this cluster F&#@.

Considering that most of the "good" things have been rhetorical or mere optics - taking down a climate change website without actually changing the staff who put it up or the regulations that staff is enforcing is rank political theater without any substance - the balance is a net loss. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

The white house is no place for on the job training.

Its only gonna get worse.

Offline NavyCanDo

If these countries cancel airplane orders or in turn ban travel to their countries, I will be happy to tell you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Considering that most of the "good" things have been rhetorical or mere optics - taking down a climate change website without actually changing the staff who put it up or the regulations that staff is enforcing is rank political theater without any substance - the balance is a net loss.

The only really good thing I've seen so far is the overseas abortion funding cut off but realistically those countries will continue to pay for abortion with American dollars.

OTOH its questionable how many abortions were actually being done with American dollars. After all, we were sending money to corrupt foreign governments who line their own pockets first. There's no reason to believe the abortion funding would be different.

Oceander

Turning my country into a farcical cluster f'k doesn't personally affect me?  Then why were you so hot and bothered when Obama did the same thing?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I suspect stories like these were written prior to the EO. 

I also suspect we will continue to cower over them. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Turning my country into a farcical cluster f'k doesn't personally affect me?  Then why were you so hot and bothered when Obama did the same thing?

meh  He is merely rearranging the pieces.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Why didn't Trump exempt Iraq and Afghanistan veterans from this?

It looks terrible. Now we have stories of veterans not being able to visit their families and such.

It doesn't affect me personally, it just looks bad. Yes the media was always aiming to make Trump look bad, but he doesn't have to help them.

Oceander

meh  He is merely rearranging the pieces.

Maybe so, but that still puts the lie to his promise to make America great again.  Unless we're really through the looking glass and all that matters is who's wrecking the country, not the fact that the country is being wrecked. 

Oceander

/snicker

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Maybe so, but that still puts the lie to his promise to make America great again.  Unless we're really through the looking glass and all that matters is who's wrecking the country, not the fact that the country is being wrecked.

If I look at the list I see nothing that warrants the vitriol.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Why didn't Trump exempt Iraq and Afghanistan veterans from this?

It looks terrible. Now we have stories of veterans not being able to visit their families and such.

It doesn't affect me personally, it just looks bad. Yes the media was always aiming to make Trump look bad, but he doesn't have to help them.

IMO, the looks part is myopic.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A lot of ISIS soldiers are from Tunisia;  some other countries could be considered in this as well and they could get in but it may be a start. The policy may need to be tweaked.

Offline Rivergirl

Bannon fought and won against the NSA who WANTED green card holders EXCLUDED from the ban.
Waiting for the excusers to appear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Age-wise, most threats are young men 35 and under I'd gather. I don't know if one wants to write that into law.

No Saudi Arabia on the list; so, vetting is definitely needed. I'm not sure if this is the best list.