Author Topic: Life Under Islamic State: Mom, Son Not Heeding Militants' Call - Voice of America  (Read 422 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Life Under Islamic State: Mom, Son Not Heeding Militants' Call

MOSUL, IRAQ — At 14 years old, Ali is a breadwinner and a smoker in an area of Mosul captured by Iraqi forces in early January. Seven months ago, Islamic State militants urged him to join as they bolstered their forces for upcoming battles. In a borrowed house in Mosul, Ali and his mother, Iman, tell VOA the story of why he could never join the group, no matter how dangerous it was to stay out. Ali and his mom tell their story in Arabic, and it is edited for clarity.

Ali: I was in second grade when IS came here, but I dropped out of school and started working. I bought a wooden cart and helped people move things from place to place for money. At first, they didn’t bother us, but a group calling themselves “Islamic State” killed my father in 2009. My mother would never have let me have anything to do with them.

Mom: They were peaceful when they first arrived because they were busy settling in. Government workers were suddenly unemployed. Other than that, nothing changed.

Continued: http://www.voanews.com/a/life-under-islamic-state-mom-and-son-not-heeding-militants-call/3696832.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Not too long, informative and interesting account of life under ISIS.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
God bless him and may he continue to do well.