Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95804 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #825 on: September 04, 2017, 01:17:45 pm »
From what I see, and my little bit of speculation in this, we can now see some teams pulling away from the pack.  The Dodgers can't pull away because of their earlier playing, but IMHO, D-back's, Nationals and Astros will be in the playoffs.  And if Cincin keeps up the winnings (11 games straight as of today), man, alive, they are going to be hard to beat. @DCPatriot
@Slip18
AL playoff teams will be Astros, Indians, Red Sox, and Yankees  NL will be Dodgers, Nats, Cubs, and D'backs.

The only one of the bunch I worry about possibly beating the Astros is the Indians. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:18:22 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #826 on: September 04, 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
@Slip18
AL playoff teams will be Astros, Indians, Red Sox, and Yankees  NL will be Dodgers, Nats, Cubs, and D'backs.

The only one of the bunch I worry about possibly beating the Astros is the Indians.

Don't count the Orioles out just yet, Earl!    ^-^

Only 1.5 games back in the WC race.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #827 on: September 04, 2017, 04:53:06 pm »

Anythings possible but right now I'm goin with the Yanks .

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #828 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »

You and ESPN.com     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #829 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:54 pm »
You and ESPN.com     :laugh:

I wouldn't know as I despise ESPN and refuse to give them a hit for any reason.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #830 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:37 pm »
@Slip18

@Bigun  @DCPatriot  Would I be correct in assuming (I know what that makes me) that after this week's games, we will know what teams will be in the Wild Card?  Only three teams have been eliminated!!! 

I had to thank my brother and his daughter (my niece) for the great job the Pads did with the Dodgers.  They are both season ticket holders for the Pads.  And I give the Pads so much credit.  They did play their hearts out against the Dodgers.

I was a Pads' fan back when Mo Vaughn was playing and Maddox was THE pitcher.  They did go to playoffs in 1998 or was it 1999?  I can look it up.

What a sport! I cannot think of another sport that could keep my interest for such a long period of time. 

I need to get a housekeeper, cook,  gardener, and you name it during this time of year!!!

@Polly Ticks It is wonderful, isn't it, Polly?

I made a Stoopid error.  What else is new under the sun?  Cincin did not have 11 straight wins; it was Cleveland.  And now they have yet another win under their belt.

I get a little excited this to!Email of year.  So sorry!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:38:07 pm by Slip18 »
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #831 on: September 04, 2017, 08:47:34 pm »

Brings back fond/not so fond memories of the D-Backs in 2001.  It would be fun this time around, I think.  Last time we played the Yankees in post season was when the beautiful Towers were gone.  Still gives me the shivers.  May the Good Lord watch over us!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #832 on: September 05, 2017, 02:49:21 am »
@Bigun  @DCPatriot  Would I be correct in assuming (I know what that makes me) that after this week's games, we will know what teams will be in the Wild Card?  Only three teams have been eliminated!!! 

Astros won!

Robbie Ray, D-Backs' pitcher just pitched 7-2/3 innings to the Dodgers.  Score 9-0 D-Backs! 

As I mentioned before, what has happened to the Dodgers?  Looks as if we are going to win -- and if we were here, Robbie would have had a standing ovation -- but, what happened to the OMG towards the end of the game?  Glad we are winning,  but this is a slaughter

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:52:50 am by Slip18 »

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #833 on: September 05, 2017, 03:09:45 am »

J.D. Martinez has hit four home runs off of four different pitchers from the Dodgers just about three minutes ago.   Top of the 9th 13-0?!  Okay, I am excited!  J.D. has more homes than the Dodgers have had hits! @DCPatriot  @Bigun  @Polly Ticks  @EasyAce

We were worried because our best home run hitter is now back in Phoenix getting an MRI.  The word was "Who is going to replace Goldy?"

First player in history for a player to hit four homers in four consecutive at bats in Dodgers Stadium in it's history!  I do believe on his first at bat, he did not hit a homer.  But four?  40th game with the D-Backs since traded from Detroit Tigers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:11:25 am by Slip18 »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #834 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:34 pm »
Boston Red Sox Used Apple Watches to Steal Signs Against Yankees

For decades, spying on another team has been as much a part of baseball’s gamesmanship as brushback pitches and hard slides. The Boston Red Sox have apparently added a modern — and illicit — twist: They used an Apple Watch to gain an advantage against the Yankees and other teams.

Investigators for Major League Baseball have determined that the Red Sox, who are in first place in the American League East and very likely headed to the playoffs, executed a scheme to illicitly steal hand signals from opponents’ catchers in games against the second-place Yankees and other teams, according to several people briefed on the matter.

The baseball inquiry began about two weeks ago, after the Yankees’ general manager, Brian Cashman, filed a detailed complaint with the commissioner’s office that included video the Yankees shot of the Red Sox dugout during a three-game series between the two teams in Boston last month.

The Yankees, who had long been suspicious of the Red Sox’ stealing catchers’ signs in Fenway Park, contended the video showed a member of the Red Sox training staff looking at his Apple Watch in the dugout. The trainer then relayed a message to other players in the dugout, who, in turn, would signal teammates on the field about the type of pitch that was about to be thrown, according to the people familiar with the case.

More

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #835 on: September 06, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »
I would love to see an entire dugout wear "Apple Watches" and pretend they're all giving signals like typical 3rd base coaches.

Imagine, after every pitch, the catcher looks toward his dugout and sees that.

Just STHU, and pitch!!    :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:23:59 pm by DCPatriot »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #836 on: September 06, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »

More

I saw this on TV this morning, and I have some doubt about the accusation.  What's the Bluetooth range on an Apple watch?  The distances involved see a bit long for Bluetooth devices.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #837 on: September 06, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/view/wild-card

Baltimore Orioles have picked up another GAME in the WC Standings....just ONE GAME BACK!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #838 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:56 pm »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/view/wild-card

Baltimore Orioles have picked up another GAME in the WC Standings....just ONE GAME BACK!

WC looks exciting in the AL.  Three teams in contention, now.  Orioles, Twins and the Angels, right?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #839 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:49 pm »
WC looks exciting in the AL.  Three teams in contention, now.  Orioles, Twins and the Angels, right?

Yeah....and I'm too lazy to look up which team has the 'easiest' remaining schedule.    :laugh:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #840 on: September 06, 2017, 05:57:03 pm »
Polly, I have so much new stuff coming because of the warehouse sale from a new friend.  Cyber did tell me he would resize them for me for a "price."  LOL!
@Slip18
LOL -- your husband sounds a lot like mine.  (And that's a good thing.)

Are the Braves still owned by Ted Turner, the manic depressive dude who married Jane Fondle?

Nope, Ted is completely out of the picture.  The Bravos are actually owned by Liberty Media now.  Liberty bought them a few years ago from Time Warner, who got them in the merger with TBS.

Ted is the reason why I'm such a big Braves fan, though.  "America's Team" stole my heart during the TBS years, and has kept it ever since!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #841 on: September 06, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »
I would love to see an entire dugout wear "Apple Watches" and pretend they're all giving signals like typical 3rd base coaches.

Imagine, after every pitch, the catcher looks toward his dugout and sees that.

Just STHU, and pitch!!    :laugh:

LOL -- that would be worth watching.  Pardon the pun.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #842 on: September 06, 2017, 06:10:19 pm »
Yeah....and I'm too lazy to look up which team has the 'easiest' remaining schedule.    :laugh:

Well, it's AL...
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #843 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:20 pm »
(To paraphrase the great sage Yogi Berra):

I got two words for you, Verlander

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #844 on: September 06, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »
(To paraphrase the great sage Yogi Berra):

I got two words for you, Verlander

Personally, I've got a big problem with Playoff-bound teams being able to sign profoundly effective pitchers at the trading deadline.

I hate ###king Hessians.   

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #845 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
@Slip18
LOL -- your husband sounds a lot like mine.  (And that's a good thing.)

I've heard he's a rather remarkable chap.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #846 on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:51 pm »

More
@Machiavelli
Applegate

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #847 on: September 06, 2017, 10:13:25 pm »
Just looking at the standings, we know the Dodgers have had a stellar year but 1-9 in their last 10?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/page/LAD/los-angeles-dodgers

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings

Cleveland has won 13 in a row, Arizona 12 wins in a row.

I thought I heard it mentioned how the Dodgers did very well during a 50 game stretch.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #848 on: September 06, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »
I've heard he's a rather remarkable chap.

@Cyber Liberty
He is, yes, but I didn't realize you knew my husband!
  ****drummer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #849 on: September 06, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
He is, yes, but I didn't realize you knew my husband!
  ****drummer

LOL.  I just know Mr. Slippy....
I will NOT comply.