Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95801 times)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #800 on: September 03, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
@EasyAce  Oh, my typing and grammar will get better.  I am trying to just get something posted.  I may actually have to go into my office in order to post.  That means I may have to buy a new chair because our cat Fred pretty much shredded the one and only desk chair that was just perfect for me.  Not expensive as @Cyber Liberty Cyber's chair, but he took the annoying arms off of mine!

Enjoy your game!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #801 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:38 pm »
@Bigun @ Polly Ticks  @DCPatriot  What teams are your teams?  I do follow them all in the stats.

I am just hoping the D-Backs finally get to the World Series again.  The last time we won the World Series was the year Cyber and I got married! @Cyber Liberty

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #802 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:53 pm »
@EasyAce  I was going to ask you this question, too:. I have a great price for a signed Vin Scully 8x10 signed glossy.  I grew up with The Voice.  Should I get it? @Cyber Liberty 

Cyber says it is okay with him if I don't go over my budget too far, and I have, but then maybe I can trade that for the dumb football cards.  Now I think I am talking to myself.  It is just that I have never known anyone in my life who has all of this fabulous memorabilia on sale for such decent prices.  His warehouse is moving! 

Next season I have a person from the D-Backs front office looking for season tickets behind home plate for Cyber and me.  I do not want those tickets to own us, so he is looking for Sunday day games only.  Now, that would be fun, doncha think?

I just love baseball!  The D-Backs struggle, then sometimes come back, then struggle.  This year we just may make it to the World Series!  I do not think I have ever missed a game.  I could be incorrect,  but that is a pretty close statement.  Oh, the year we did win the World Series, I was in a wedding in Tennessee, then I had a seminar in San Diego, but Cyber called the games for me telephonically!

Ya gotta love that guy!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #803 on: September 03, 2017, 09:03:32 pm »
I'm a crank!  Just ask @DCPatriot!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #804 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:09 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #805 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:10 pm »
@DCPatriot  Ummm, not with me!

I asked him which team was your favorite team.  He looked puzzled.  He said in a very calm voice, "The Nationals."  DUH!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
@DCPatriot  Ummm, not with me!

I asked him which team was your favorite team.  He looked puzzled.  He said in a very calm voice, "The Nationals."  DUH!

I follow both the NATS and the O's.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #807 on: September 03, 2017, 09:28:12 pm »
@Bigun @ Polly Ticks  @DCPatriot  What teams are your teams?  I do follow them all in the stats.

I am just hoping the D-Backs finally get to the World Series again.  The last time we won the World Series was the year Cyber and I got married! @Cyber Liberty

@Slip18

I'm a Braves girl!

... and I think your Koufax ball is pretty darn cool, too. 
 :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2017, 09:37:59 pm »

@Slip18

Houston Astros baby!  Going all the way in 2017!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #809 on: September 03, 2017, 09:46:12 pm »
@DCPatriot  @Polly Ticks @Bigun @EasyAce @Cyber Liberty

I have never felt so welcomed to a site (only two)  in my whole life!  I thank you all so very much.  Cyber told me I would find some area in TBR that I would like.  You may be sorry! LOL!

Polly, I have so much new stuff coming because of the warehouse sale from a new friend.  Cyber did tell me he would resize them for me for a "price."  LOL!

Are the Braves still owned by Ted Turner, the manic depressive dude who married Jane Fondle?  The word "dude" goes back to my surfer days.  It has no racial overtones.  Sometimes I get nervous about using my natural dumb nouns...

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #810 on: September 03, 2017, 09:51:41 pm »
@Bigun  Let's all go for the prize!  Go Astros!  Go Braves!  Go Nationals!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #811 on: September 03, 2017, 09:56:16 pm »
Sometimes I get nervous about using my natural dumb nouns... @Slip18

Fire away. Unintentional use is a slip of the tongue. Intentional use is a tongue of the Slip. Leave it up to the reader to figure out which is which. And if they complain, give them one of these:  :tongue2:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #812 on: September 03, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »
@bigheadfred  Thank you, Fred!  Are you sure you are not our cat who shredded my favorite office chair?  Huh?

I am still a bit afraid to go to other threads.  I feel so comfortable in here!  Everyone is so nice to me even when I mess up!  They are a great group -- and -- I love baseball!  It's a two-fer!

Smooches!  MissSippy!  Now, that was funny!  "I was born on a river in a Little ole tent.  Just like the river, I've been runnnin' ever since.  It's been a long time comin'..." But then I met Cyber! @Cyber Liberty

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #813 on: September 03, 2017, 10:44:44 pm »
Reporter gets a foul ball. Continues his report.
by OctopussSevenTwo
http://i.imgur.com/jD5Ss4C.mp4
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #814 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:43 pm »
@Suppressed  Are you that reporter, Suppressed?  Are you okay? Where are you? 

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #815 on: September 03, 2017, 11:55:39 pm »
Well, if it is you, @Suppressed nice catch!  Zowie!!!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2017, 01:53:17 am »
@EasyAce  My family moved to Orange County, California, in 1962.  I was 12 years old.  My memories are incorrect, obviously!  I should have looked done more research than what I remembeed.  Totally my fault.

But tell me something if you are able, why did Sandy stay with the Dodgers if they were so hard on their pitchers.?  I do know he retired at the top of his game by looking at his stats.
@Slip18
Koufax's job in the 1980s was as a roving pitching instructor in the Dodger organisation;
indeed, he eventually gave that up later in the decade when he and Lasorda disagreed
over an expense report. Koufax wasn't on Lasorda's major league coaching staff and
probably had no input into how Lasorda managed his bullpens. For a long enough time
after that, Koufax worked as a kind of free-lance coach, available if asked, by several
organisations including the Dodgers.

Koufax retiring at the top of his game? He was somewhere beyond the sixth dimension
when he retired. And to this day he's the youngest man ever elected to the Hall of
Fame as a player.

Lasorda wasn't the only manager Herzog skewered for mis-handling his bullpens. Pete
Rose made the same mistake with his Cincinnati bullpens before you-know-what put
him out of that managing job: warming a pitcher up several times and not using him
one day, warming the same guy up the next and not using him, warming the same
guy up on day three, bringing him in, wondering why he'd get killed on the mound,
then harrumphing, "Whatsamatta with him, he ain't pitched in three days?" It never
crossed their minds---and they weren't the only culprits, either (hello, Billy Martin,
master destroyer of pitching staffs)---that when you have a guy warming up in the
pen he's throwing pitches, maybe even the equivalent of a five-inning quality
start, before you bring him in
if you bring him in.

Herzog had a rule: if he warmed you up and didn't bring you in in the same inning
or the next inning, you had the rest of the day off. He got some excellent miles out
of a lot of relief pitchers by being smart with them.

I last wrote about that issue and those men in February:

Shorten games? Eliminate the eight relief warmups. (No, I’m not as crazy as you think . . . )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:53:35 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2017, 02:25:05 am »
@EasyAce  Thank you ever so much for the enlightenment of what was going on in those times.   I so love "historical" baseball!  And, you, indeed know of what you speak?

I have a question about the Dodgers right now with their recent losses.  Joc Pederson was sent to the minors around August 18,  right at about the same time as their slump began.  Then the Puig injury that I mentioned.  I, personally, can't stand Puig, but I do not want any player to get injured in any way.

So Joc and Puig.  Do you have any thoughts as to those two players and the recent losses?  We play the Dodgers for three games tomorrow.  I am so happy for the D-Backs!  But is there no longer any competition with the Dodgers?  We all love a great game, win or lose!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2017, 02:26:11 am »
"...Speak!". Danged Baby Kindle.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #819 on: September 04, 2017, 02:33:45 am »
@Suppressed  Are you that reporter, Suppressed?  Are you okay? Where are you?

Not I!  :-)

@Slip18

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #820 on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:25 am »
@EasyAce That last post of mine was to you.  A question mark instead of an exclamation point.  DUH!

Our new manager Lovullo expects 21 outs from each starting pitcher.  I like him.  He expects the starter to do the job they are paid to do.  I think only one time has one of our pitchers finished a full game, but that is expected of them!  We have two or three fabulous 8yh and 9th inning pitchers.  I think they are the reason for us doing so well. 

Our closer is a 40-year-old pitcher named Fernando Rodney.  He is so good!  He plays off of the 8th inning pitchers whom we call the Beard aka Archie Bradley (I actually had to attend a game to get his T-shirt with the Beard.  LOL!)  They work so well together that now even if it is not a "save"  situation, Lovullo puts them in the game.  Winning situation!

Again, thank you so much!  When I get my signed Mickey Mantle ball, Sandy Koufax HOF card, and Trout signed ball (or was it a card?), then the Buster Posey signed catcher's mitt (who doesn't just adore Posey?), I will ask @Cyber Liberty to post them here.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #821 on: September 04, 2017, 02:52:39 am »
@Suppressed But, but, but... You were so cute!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #822 on: September 04, 2017, 03:43:16 am »
ARGGGGRRR!

This is complete bullshit!    :shrug:   

Let me put on my tinfoil hat.....there we go!    How in God's creation does a team playing .700 ball suddenly 'tank' in September?

IMO, the Dodgers are in essence 'throwing' games so that they don't get too complacent in the Postseason.   They want to be highly motivated to prove something in the NLDS.

PS:  I'm glad....and hope....the CUBBIES weren't doing the same damned thing.   Since April.    :whistle:

GO NATS! 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #823 on: September 04, 2017, 03:53:03 am »
ARGGGGRRR!

This is complete bullshit!    :shrug:   

Let me put on my tinfoil hat.....there we go!    How in God's creation does a team playing .700 ball suddenly 'tank' in September?

IMO, the Dodgers are in essence 'throwing' games so that they don't get too complacent in the Postseason.   They want to be highly motivated to prove something in the NLDS.

PS:  I'm glad....and hope....the CUBBIES weren't doing the same damned thing.   Since April.    :whistle:

GO NATS!

It could be they're terrified of the Dbacks (@Slip18's theory) or it's just September fade.  Or it could be because Puig's playing hurt.  Or Joc Peterson got sent to the Minors in August for some odd reason.  He was hitting well.

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  BTW, We're pulling away from the Rockies for Wild Card.  6 and 1/2 games now.  Kewl.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:54:07 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #824 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:59 am »
It could be they're terrified of the Dbacks (@Slip18's theory) or it's just September fade.  Or it could be because Puig's playing hurt.  Or Joc Peterson got sent to the Minors in August for some odd reason.  He was hitting well.

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  BTW, We're pulling away from the Rockies for Wild Card.  6 and 1/2 games now.  Kewl.

From what I see, and my little bit of speculation in this, we can now see some teams pulling away from the pack.  The Dodgers can't pull away because of their earlier playing, but IMHO, D-back's, Nationals and Astros will be in the playoffs.  And if Cincin keeps up the winnings (11 games straight as of today), man, alive, they are going to be hard to beat. @DCPatriot
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:19:47 am by Slip18 »