Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95804 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2017, 02:33:36 am »
The NATS' gave up the lead in the 9th inning at home...again.  And lost, evening up the series at 2 apiece.

Come on, man.

"BLAKE" Treinen?   Who the hells has a Closer named "Blake"?   Plus, his stolid persona is betrayed by his deer-in the headlight eyes.

Like his entire face had been Novocained and he couldn't flex.   Like Jim Palmer's face.  Like Mika's, on New Year's Eve at Mar-a-lgo.

He looked like he was ready to cry.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:34:23 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50:37 am »
Stanley Cup Hockey is different than seasonal games. 

It's like Elizabeth McGovern morphing into Salma Hayek.   :laugh:
I thought it was more like Phyllis Diller morphing into Rowdy Roddy Piper :laugh:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #477 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:20 am »
The NATS' gave up the lead in the 9th inning at home...again.  And lost, evening up the series at 2 apiece.

Come on, man.

"BLAKE" Treinen?   Who the hells has a Closer named "Blake"?   Plus, his stolid persona is betrayed by his deer-in the headlight eyes.

Like his entire face had been Novocained and he couldn't flex.   Like Jim Palmer's face.  Like Mika's, on New Year's Eve at Mar-a-lgo.

Worse---Trea Turner out indefinitely with a wrist fracture after he was hit by a pitch in the seventh. (He hung in until
the pain got bad enough for him to come out for the ninth.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #478 on: June 30, 2017, 03:10:23 am »
They didn't get far in even-numbered last year (rousted in the NLDS), so we can put the odd-even thing
to bed. ;)

Maybe it was the exception that proves the rule?  Guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out ...
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #479 on: June 30, 2017, 03:11:00 am »
Maybe it was the exception that proves the rule?  Guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out ...
Next year and what may prove to be a major overhaul.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #480 on: June 30, 2017, 04:19:52 am »
Worse---Trea Turner out indefinitely with a wrist fracture after he was hit by a pitch in the seventh. (He hung in until
the pain got bad enough for him to come out for the ninth.)

it wasn't a 'purpose' pitch or a retaliatory plunk for Rizzo and Candalario earlier, was it?

The series cost the CUBS dearly in terms of healthy starters.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #481 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:02 am »
it wasn't a 'purpose' pitch or a retaliatory plunk for Rizzo and Candalario earlier, was it?

The series cost the CUBS dearly in terms of healthy starters.
I watched a clip of the plate appearance. Unlike other such incidents (Hunter Strickland-Bryce Harper, anyone?) where
you have a pretty damn good idea about the intent, it was difficult to know whether the pitch to Turner was a purpose
pitch. And I can't remember anyone ever before thinking Cub pitcher Pedro Strop any kind of headhunter, and he didn't
look as though he were aiming at Turner the way Strickland did Harper. My call: Strop and catcher Willson Contreras
simply set for an inside corner pitch and the pitch didn't work as they wanted. You notice Strop didn't make any movement
at the mound to suggest he'd just nailed his intended prey. And Contreras kind of bent over as if genuinely upset that
the pitch hit Turner. And Turner didn't behave like he thought he'd been specifically targeted.

The only reason I could have thought of for the Nats being P.O.ed at the Cubs going into this series was when
Jake Arrieta beat his gums with satisfaction over Strickland nailing Harper, apparently. I wrote about that,
too:

Basebrawl’s jake with Arrieta
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/06/01/basebrawls-jake-with-arrieta/

One of the most thoughtfully articulate baseball players of his time stands athwart sense, yelling “Super!” about
brawl games such as that instigated by Hunter Strickland against Bryce Harper on Memorial Day. It’s enough to
provoke lustful thoughts about the Kardashians, to whom exhibitionism equals articulation.

Schpritzing about who does and does not have the right to flip a bat upon a monster mash may be one thing, but
Jake Arrieta, Cubs pitcher, thinks the Strickland-Harper rumble was “awesome.”

“I don’t think anybody is right or wrong,” Arrieta told Chicago’s CBS affiliate, known colloquially as 670 The Score,
the day after Strickland-Harper. “I thought it was awesome. Every once in a while, it’s refreshing to see two teams
emotionally charged getting after it. And when something like that happens versus continuing to chirp and talk
about it, why don’t you go out there and see somebody? That’s exactly what happened in the game yesterday.”

Apparently, Arrieta thinks it’s jake that Strickland, who hadn’t faced Harper since the 2014 National League division
series, but who’d been “chirping” back and forth with Harper since, threw one into Harper’s hip on the first pitch
Monday afternoon, over a pair of long home runs Harper hit off Strickland in that series.

Somehow, the “refreshment” of two teams being or remaining emotionally charged over events two years and
seven months in the past is an absurdity that doesn’t register. With Arrieta, and with a lot of people.

Harper connected off Strickland in Games One and Four of that division series—which, by the way, the Giants
went on to win, en route a third World Series ring in five seasons. It’s thought the Game Four blast got under
Strickland’s skin particularly, since Harper had the audacity to pause long enough gazing at the ball before
taking his round trip.

Except that there was a method to Harper’s apparent madness. Before the ball landed in McCovey’s Cove
behind AT&T Park, it flew right down the right field line. Harper and everyone else in the park that night,
from the dugouts to the top of the upper deck, couldn’t be certain the ball would pass the foul pole on the
fair side until it did just that.

Any pitcher with the common sense God bestowed upon a gnat would have seen the trajectory and understood
in an instant that this wasn’t a case of trying to show anyone up. Indeed, the split second Harper connected,
Strickland jerked around in a split second of his own to watch and wonder.

And any observer with the same common sense, who watched Monday’s game closely, could have seen Strickland’s
intended target—facing Harper with two out, nobody on, the Nationals up 2-0, Harper freshly checked in at the
plate, and Giants catcher Buster Posey set up for a pitch on the inside corner but no further—wasn’t Posey’s mitt
but Harper’s anatomy. (Posey may even have called for a curve ball, not the fastball Strickland threw.)

The ball ricocheted off Harper’s hip and floated up the third base line several feet. Harper charged the mound,
throwing his helmet away and sailing right up to Strickland to swap punches. Posey stood behind the plate, possibly
thinking to himself, You’re on your own, bro, I didn’t call for that pitch, and wouldn’t it be easier not to throw
home run pitches than to steam about them for almost three years?

To Strickland, apparently, that was a clown question, bro.

It took almost seven full seconds before any Giant or Nat reached the combatants. En route, two Giants, pitcher
Jeff Samardzija and first baseman Michael Morse, collided. It cost Morse a seven-day trip to the concussion list.

Arrieta likes that it took that long before either team joined the fun. “If two guys want to go see each other, let
them be in the middle, let them throw some punches, then break it up,” he told The Score. “I don’t like to see
any sucker punches. I do think in the heat of battle if you’re getting hit on the hip with 98, then you should be
able to go out and see somebody. I think the umpires handled it well. They let them exchange for a moment,
then they tried to break it up.”

He even admired Posey’s conduct, though not necessarily for the reason anyone else does: “If it’s my catcher,
I want him to wait and give me an opportunity to do a little damage. I don’t want it broken up right away. If it
happens, I’ll let you know. I’ll be ready. You know, I like my chances toe-to-toe with just about anybody.”

With no known report quoting him otherwise, is it fair to assume that, his call for a “moment” between initial
combatants before everyone else joins up, Arrieta thinks nothing of the prospect of teammates being injured
in such scrums, as Strickland surely didn’t? What does he think Morse’s concussion is? Collateral damage?

It’s reasonable to think Arrieta wouldn’t have liked his chances if, as happened in the 2015 National League
wild card game he dominated, he was not just hit on the hip by a pitch but perhaps piledriven by a rampaging
Pirate in the middle of the melee. Sports Illustrated‘s Jon Tayler asks a question provoked by just that: “What
if Arrieta’s newly resurgent career had been affected because of a pointless hit-by-pitch? Will it take something
like that to make all the performative posturing passé?”

Arrieta might not have liked his chances with baseball government, either, if the following season his primary
order of business in his next outing against the Pirates was to drill, say, Andrew McCutchen. Harper after his
appeal was suspended for 27 innings (three games); Strickland, at this writing, awaits the net result of his
appeal. If it fails, he’d be suspended six innings (three games, in relief pitching terms). If it succeeds, he’d be
suspended, what? Four innings? (Four games.) Three innings? (Three games.)

Some would say that’s not justice no matter how you parse it. Others would lament that that’s one of the
problems with baseball government—you hope for Solomon, but you wind up with Inspector Clouseau.

(p.s. Strickland's appeal was ultimately denied. And he served his six-inning suspension.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:40:10 am by EasyAce »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #482 on: June 30, 2017, 04:40:02 am »
I watched a clip of the plate appearance. Unlike other such incidents (Hunter Strickland-Bryce Harper, anyone?) where
you have a pretty damn good idea about the intent, it was difficult to know whether the pitch to Turner was a purpose
pitch. The catcher was set up for a pitch to the inside corner, it's not like Strickland crossing up Buster Posey who'd
set up a little off the middle of the plate away from Harper and went right inside and to his ass. And I can't
remember anyone ever before thinking Cub pitcher Pedro Strop any kind of headhunter. My call: Strop and catcher
Willson Contreras simply set for an inside corner pitch and the pitch didn't work as they wanted. You notice Strop
didn't make any movement at the mound to suggest he'd just nailed his intended prey. And Contreras kind of
bent over as if genuinely upset that the pitch hit Turner.

Thanks for checking it out.

Seeing as how Turner humiliated their defense holding runners...together with the CUBS' hitters getting plunked the whole series...Cantelario after going yard this afternoon...it begged the question.      :laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #483 on: June 30, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »

Come on, man.

:silly:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #484 on: June 30, 2017, 02:40:47 pm »
It was a lot of fun to watch Carlos Correa jack to out last night.

Even with our key starting pitchers being out, we seem to be holding our own.

They've brought up a few minor leaguers, I think to showcase, looking to trade for one more arm, I believe.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #485 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »

They've brought up a few minor leaguers, I think to showcase, looking to trade for one more arm, I believe.

And one of those showcased I wish had not been!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #486 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »
And one of those showcased I wish had not been!

:laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #487 on: June 30, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »

I've got nothing but a gut feeling...seasoned with over 60+ years of playing/coaching/studying the Game, but...

IMHO, the Astros are exactly where the Nationals were in 2012.   

They caught the damned car and they still don't know what to do with it.

Seriously though, we all know TWO undeniable truths about playoff baseball....

1) LUCK plays a large part in who wins a best of seven series.

2) Great Pitching will ALWAYS stop Great Hitting.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #488 on: June 30, 2017, 04:01:26 pm »
I've got nothing but a gut feeling...seasoned with over 60+ years of playing/coaching/studying the Game, but...

IMHO, the Astros are exactly where the Nationals were in 2012.   

They caught the damned car and they still don't know what to do with it.

Seriously though, we all know TWO undeniable truths about playoff baseball....

1) LUCK plays a large part in who wins a best of seven series.

2) Great Pitching will ALWAYS stop Great Hitting.

I fully agree with everything you said but the Astros manager negates the "don't know what to do with it"  part IMHO!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #489 on: June 30, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »
I fully agree with everything you said but the Astros manager negates the "don't know what to do with it"  part IMHO!

:laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #490 on: June 30, 2017, 06:34:39 pm »

@Bigun
@DCPatriot

I have to admit, when the Astros hired A.J. Hinch, I thought "Oh,no. We've hired another one of those guys on the cheap, who hasn't proven themselves".
I was dead wrong.
I think the GM, Ludnow, the ex- Cardinal guy, has had a lot to do with where they are new, also.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #491 on: June 30, 2017, 07:38:53 pm »

@Bigun
@DCPatriot

Funny that comment came from a fan of the team that was sooooooo smart, they hired Dusty Baker.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #492 on: June 30, 2017, 07:46:14 pm »
@Bigun
@DCPatriot

Funny that comment came from a fan of the team that was sooooooo smart, they hired Dusty Baker.

OK! I'm confused?  Please explain your meaning.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #493 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »

@DCPatriot
@Bigun

Maybe we should ask what Kerry Wood and Mark Prior what they think of ol' toothpickin' Crusty
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:09:25 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #494 on: June 30, 2017, 11:04:13 pm »
@DCPatriot
@Bigun

Maybe we she ask what Kerry Wood and Mark Prior what they think of ol' toothpickin' Crusty

...and it ain't even August, yet!    :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #495 on: June 30, 2017, 11:07:10 pm »

Dusty has a reputation of causing dead arms, by ignoring pitch counts.  Physical and emotional abuse on a large scale in the Millennial generation.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #496 on: July 01, 2017, 12:00:11 am »
Dusty has a reputation of causing dead arms, by ignoring pitch counts.  Physical and emotional abuse on a large scale in the Millennial generation.

OK! But still don't know how that relates to anything I said previously.  :thud:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #497 on: July 01, 2017, 02:01:43 am »
This just in: Joe West was hit by a pitch---thrown down from the stands. In the head.
Naturally, he wasn't hurt.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #498 on: July 01, 2017, 02:03:42 am »
This just in: Joe West was hit by a pitch---thrown down from the stands. In the head.
Naturally, he wasn't hurt.

Now if had been C.B. Bucknor......

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #499 on: July 01, 2017, 02:35:31 am »
Now if had been C.B. Bucknor......
With his cement head? He, too, wouldn't have been hurt. ;)