Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95330 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »
:beer:

Also known as "free baseball".
@Polly Ticks

Never mind beer, you deserve this for that . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2017, 07:24:28 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Never mind beer, you deserve this for that . . .

@EasyAce

Oooooo, thanks!  Fancy-schmancy!  But can I drink it with my baseball hat on?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2017, 07:26:51 pm »
@EasyAce

Oooooo, thanks!  Fancy-schmancy!  But can I drink it with my baseball hat on?
@Polly Ticks
Of course you can!
I would!

(I have: Brooklyn Dodgers, Cubs, Indians, Los Angeles Angels, Washington Nationals, and
Red Sox caps to choose from!)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2017, 08:54:25 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Of course you can!
I would!

(I have: Brooklyn Dodgers, Cubs, Indians, Los Angeles Angels, Washington Nationals, and
Red Sox caps to choose from!)

I have a new tomahawk spring training cap I got from my trip down to Sun Trust Park this past Friday.  I think I'll  wear that one. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »
I have a new tomahawk spring training cap I got from my trip down to Sun Trust Park this past Friday.  I think I'll  wear that one. 

Perfect!

I'll wear this one . . .

(I bought one at Angel Stadium two years ago when taking my son in California to a game . . . )

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:41 pm »
Perfect!

I'll wear this one . . .

(I bought one at Angel Stadium two years ago when taking my son in California to a game . . . )

Nice!  My son and I were half-frozen to death -- it was 47 degrees that evening -- by the time the Cards were finished blowing us out of the park, but we had a marvelous time.  Memories for a lifetime, yes?   

^-^

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2017, 09:16:29 pm »
Nice!  My son and I were half-frozen to death -- it was 47 degrees that evening -- by the time the Cards were finished blowing us out of the park, but we had a marvelous time.  Memories for a lifetime, yes?   

^-^
Indeed!

My favourite baseball memory with my son, when he was little: We went to see the Angels play the Mariners.
Ichiro Suzuki, of all people, hit one into the right field bleachers in the top of the ninth to tie it; the game
ended up going extra innings.

Somewhere in the tenth he asked if we could move down from the upper deck and get an abandoned seat
in the left field bleachers behind the bullpens. Sure, why not! The crowd leaving the ballpark meant it took
us until the twelfth inning to get there. And no sooner do we sit down than Jose Guillen (then with the
Angels) hit one into those bullpens to win it!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »
Astros 23/11 .676  Best in baseball!

Go Stros!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2017, 09:22:01 pm »
In 1964, the Mets and the Giants played a 24-inning game---and it was the second game of a doubleheader!

I remember some scribe pointing to Gaylord Perry's performance in that game and saying that it was a turning point in Perry's career.

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »
I remember some scribe pointing to Gaylord Perry's performance in that game and saying that it was a turning point in Perry's career.

@EasyAce
@Machiavelli
That season was his turning point, never mind that game: he was put into the Giants' starting rotation
for the first time that season. He finished 21-8 though he slumped in August; he was the National League's
Player of the Month for June, a month in which he went 5-0 with an 0.90 ERA and 31 strikeouts. In the
doubleheader marathon, on Memorial Day, Perry came on in the tenth inning and went ten innings to pick
up the win; the Giants won on back-to-back RBI hits (a double by Del Crandall and a single by Jesus
Alou) in the 23rd inning and Bob Hendley---a year from nearly pitching a no-hitter on the backside of
Sandy Koufax's perfect game (the only hit in the game didn't factor in the lone Dodger run)---retired
the Mets in order in the bottom to save it. The win improved Perry's record to 3-1.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2017, 11:07:11 pm »
Should the Mets consider sending Matt Harvey to the minors?
Buster Olney

Sure, the Mets have a long and dubious history with medical issues, and yes, the relationship between certain players and the team has seemed odd -- co-dependent, rather than the typical employer-employee dynamic. But the strategically leaked he-said, he-said about the circumstances of pitcher Matt Harvey’s absence from the park last weekend should not distract from the reality that the pitcher didn’t show up for work.

This whole issue is not a Mets problem -- this is a Matt Harvey problem.

That the Mets chose to suspend him rather than to give him another pass shows they are fed up, and they are looking to effect change with a player who might have enormous value -- but only if that change happens.

Which is why folks with other teams are wondering whether the Mets will consider the nuclear option available to them: sending Harvey to the minors.

They can do this without his permission because he is a player with less than five years of service time; at the start of the season, he had four years and 72 days.

more at:     http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16634/the-mets-should-send-matt-harvey-to-the-minors

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2017, 11:15:56 pm »
Every walk-up song for the 2017 Detroit Tigers pitchers and hitters

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/05/detroit_tigers_walk-up_music.html#incart_river_home

Alex Wilson (Snake farm) is definitely among the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VR_lZehw4

Ian Kinsler uses Detroit's own Jack White (Battle Cry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qFGsHxSxo0

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:50 am »
Astros 23/11 .676  Best in baseball!

Go Stros!

Biggest test of the year to date coming up with 4 with NYY.  @ NY.  Will be ecstatic with a split.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:45 pm »
Chief Wahoo decision could be sped up because of MLB involvement
Nobody really expects the controversy surrounding the Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo logo to go away anytime soon. If we’ve learned anything from the drama with the Washington Redskins and their name it’s that these fights are like the Energizer Bunny — they keep going. And going. And going.

But from the sound of things, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred might have sped up the Indians’ timetable to figure things out when he said last month that he wants the Indians to “transition away” from Wahoo.

That’s actually something the Indians have been doing for a few years now, as they’ve changed their primary logo and de-emphasized Chief Wahoo on some of their uniforms. However, the message the Indians appear to be getting is: “Speed this up.”

I wonder who might be next on the "chop"ing block...

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »
Aaron Altherr is Breaking Out

Not too much to cheer lately in Philly,  but Aaron Altherr took an opportunity created by Howie Kendrick's injury and ran with it.   He's currently on a roll of hitting three-run homers in three days straight. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »
Biggest test of the year to date coming up with 4 with NYY.  @ NY.  Will be ecstatic with a split.

Nice way to start the first one. Kuechel wins and Marisnek throws out the runner at home.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2017, 04:05:51 pm »
Diamondbacks Chris Iannetta got drilled in the face with a pitch, no concussion, broken teeth and nose.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2017/05/14/Chris-Iannetta-drilled-in-face-with-93-mph-fastball-no-concussion/7881494772912/

Former MLB All-Star Doug DeCinces convicted of insider stock training
Former Baltimore Orioles and California Angels third baseman Doug DeCinces was convicted of insider trading on Friday.

According to the Associated Press, DeCinces was found guilty on 13 federal insider trading charges after he purchased stock in Advanced Medical Optics eight years ago that eventually netted him a $1.3 million profit.

DeCinces reportedly purchased more than 90,000 shares of the company just before it was sold to Abbott Laboratories after allegedly learning about the sale from a neighbor who was the CEO of Advanced Medical Optics. The 66-year-old now faces the prospect of serving 10 or more years of jail time. However, a sentencing date has yet to be determined.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709398-former-mlb-all-star-doug-decinces-convicted-of-insider-stock-trading

Washington Nationals Bryce Harper inks huge baseball deal.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/bryce-harper-reportedly-agrees-to-record-deal-for-2018-with-nationals/ar-BBB5QRV?OCID=ansmsnnews11
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:08:08 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
Diamondbacks Chris Iannetta got drilled in the face with a pitch, no concussion, broken teeth and nose.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2017/05/14/Chris-Iannetta-drilled-in-face-with-93-mph-fastball-no-concussion/7881494772912/

We're really glad about the no concussion, but that's going to smart for a while.  It was scary to see it happen.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2017, 04:23:44 pm »
JD Martinez returned to the Tigers after his long recuperation with a 2 HR night.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
JD Martinez returned to the Tigers after his long recuperation with a 2 HR night.

888high58888

You played very well here, looking forward to our next short series in Detroit, June 13-14.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2017, 04:50:37 pm »
888high58888

You played very well here, looking forward to our next short series in Detroit, June 13-14.

Tigers are kind of erratic this year. So far not terrible but not great either. Tied for second in their division at .514 with Cleveland. The Twins look like they're way out front at .576 but they've played fewer games. The Sox are hot on our heels at .471 and the Royals are only 5.5 games out.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2017, 03:07:10 am »
Derek JETER  has retired from baseball tonight.. Yankss retired #2

http://nypost.com/2017/05/14/derek-jeter-to-exploding-yankee-stadium-thank-you/

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2017, 03:55:47 am »

The player retired three years ago, the number was retired tonight. You can put final paid to his career
in two years when he's likely to get to the Hall of Fame, first ballot. ;)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:57 am »

And on page 10 of the sports page, my Astros beat them 3 of 4 on their turf.   Somehow that story got lost.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.