Author Topic: Trump sued after Iraqis detained at airport  (Read 1810 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump sued after Iraqis detained at airport
« on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »

White House faces legal challenges over executive order after two men with visas to enter the U.S. were detained. One has since been released.

By Seung Min Kim

01/28/17 11:19 AM EST

President Donald Trump and his new administration are facing legal challenges after two Iraqis with valid visas to enter the United States were detained at a New York airport, following his sweeping executive order that bars citizens from several Muslim-majority nations from entering the country.

Lawyers for the International Refugee Assistance Project and the National Immigration Law Center filed a lawsuit early Saturday in federal court seeking to release Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Haider Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshawi, who were being held at John F. Kennedy Airport.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-refugees-lawsuit-iraq-visas-234305
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump sued after Iraqis detained at airport
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:03 pm »

White House faces legal challenges over executive order after two men with visas to enter the U.S. were detained. One has since been released.

By Seung Min Kim

01/28/17 11:19 AM EST

President Donald Trump and his new administration are facing legal challenges after two Iraqis with valid visas to enter the United States were detained at a New York airport, following his sweeping executive order that bars citizens from several Muslim-majority nations from entering the country.

Lawyers for the International Refugee Assistance Project and the National Immigration Law Center filed a lawsuit early Saturday in federal court seeking to release Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Haider Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshawi, who were being held at John F. Kennedy Airport.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-refugees-lawsuit-iraq-visas-234305

This is a fear related police state move by the Trump administration.

I can see a re-entrance interview.  Based on known data by our intelligence of what people are doing when they go to certain area's in the world.  But this seems like over the top policed state. 

It will have negative consequences.

Some I can think of:

Irrational fear by U.S. citizens of all people from these countries.  Which can lead to unstable people making irrational choices resulting in a number of negative things.  Social media outbursts drawing followers to hate and hate crimes.  Irrational distrust of all people of certain race or religion.  I could lead to some real difficult circumstances for our police.

It creates fear in all ME people who permanently reside in our country legally.  And I believe it will result in more citizens seeing themselves as the enemy and thus embracing terrorism through social media.  I think this can lead to more violence in the U.S.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:22:35 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
I 100% support President the Donald stopping people from certain ME countries from entering the US until he and his team are able to review the policies.  If it inconviences people I don't care.  I suggest all of those people who are not citizens but legally allowed to be here that they stay here for the time being.  If you leave the country and can't get back in, tough.

I call that rational.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:23:01 pm »
This legal action is the tip of the iceberg in a well crafted Democrat plan.

I expect SPLC...CAIR and the ACLU to start filing lawsuits on Monday.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Libs in Congress try to gin up some legislation to stop what Trump is doing

They knew this would happen and they were ready for it.

I just hope our side pushes back.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
This is a fear related police state move by the Trump administration.

I can see a re-entrance interview.  Based on known data by our intelligence of what people are doing when they go to certain area's in the world.  But this seems like over the top policed state. 

It will have negative consequences.

Some I can think of:

Irrational fear by U.S. citizens of all people from these countries.  Which can lead to unstable people making irrational choices resulting in a number of negative things.  Social media outbursts drawing followers to hate and hate crimes.  Irrational distrust of all people of certain race or religion.  I could lead to some real difficult circumstances for our police.

It creates fear in all ME people who permanently reside in our country legally.  And I believe it will result in more citizens seeing themselves as the enemy and thus embracing terrorism through social media.  I think this can lead to more violence in the U.S.

Liberal Poppycock. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
I 100% support President the Donald stopping people from certain ME countries from entering the US until he and his team are able to review the policies.  If it inconviences people I don't care.  I suggest all of those people who are not citizens but legally allowed to be here that they stay here for the time being.  If you leave the country and can't get back in, tough.

I call that rational.

:patriot: 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:46:26 pm »
This is a policy that will have many unintended consequences.

LPR are immigrants who stood in line, played by the rules, and came to this country legally they did everything we as a country required them to do legally and by the book...

But if they are from one of these countries whether they are Muslim or Christian and and they happened to be out of the country they suddenly can't get back. No matter whether they have jobs here, mortgage payments to make, kids in school.

This is the kind of policy I expected/expect from Trump. An amoral azz who has elevated lying and shyster-ism to an art form.

So if you are a rational LPR in this country, you don't leave, but do you bother to renew your green card next time it expires. Maybe not, what is the incentive...and doesn't it just make it easier for the government to keep track of you...and why bother to pay taxes...as soon as you step foot out of the country there is no guarantee you can come back...

At one time this country valued it word and was a beacon of justice and fair play for the world to emulate. Trump and his amoral ilk are determined to destroy that legacy....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:51:52 pm »

I expect SPLC...CAIR and the ACLU to start filing lawsuits on Monday.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Libs in Congress try to gin up some legislation to stop what Trump is doing

They knew this would happen and they were ready for it.

I just hope our side pushes back.

I'm curious where foreign nationals get legal standing to sue a government policy they don't like in our courts?

I certainly can't sue India for the abuses of their rules and application of discrimination they are now involved in terms of Christians to their country.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:52:46 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:13 pm »
Somebody always gets to the line at closing time...whether it's a grocery line..gasoline line...teller at ATM line.  Airport??

Why should we expect anything different with immigration lines closing immediately?

This is no different from showing homeless families on the evening news during the Reagan Administration every night.

Ya'll should have left a day earlier.   :police:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:56:04 pm »
I'm curious where foreign nationals get legal standing to sue a government policy they don't like in our courts?

Green card holders are LEGAL permanent residents of the United States. They do not have the status of a foreign national. They have many of the same rights and privileges of US citizens including access to the courts...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:02 pm »
Green card holders are LEGAL permanent residents of the United States. They do not have the status of a foreign national. They have many of the same rights and privileges of US citizens including access to the courts...
:amen:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:59:25 pm »

Thanks for clarifying.

The application of this rule may come back to bite Americans living and working overseas in very harrowing ways.

But then, Isolationism is so very en-vogue these days - along with starting trade wars.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 11:09:36 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.

The application of this rule may come back to bite Americans living and working overseas in very harrowing ways.

But then, Isolationism is so very en-vogue these days - along with starting trade wars.

Exactly as someone who spends a fair amount of time out of the Country I see this as another reason the world is so dangerous for Americans traveling abroad...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 11:13:10 pm »

Several years ago I dated a Serbian woman who had legal resident alien status since arriving in this country around the time Bill Clinton started bombing her home. Aside from not being able to vote or serve on a jury there are very few rights that Americans have that she doesn't. If she is sued by someone, sues someone  or is charged with a crime she still has all the same rights as an American. (If she's convicted of a crime she can be deported)

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 11:45:43 pm »
@TomSea  here's your proof that Erik Erickson at resurgent.com does indeed defend your guy when warranted.

Many Opponents of President Trump’s Immigration Order Believe Donald Trump is a Time Traveler

By Erik Erickson  |  January 28, 2017, 05:20pm  |  @ewerickson

The New York Daily News is running a news story today that suggests Donald Trump is a time traveler. According to the New York Daily News:

President Trump’s most recent executive order effectively bans citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. for at least 90 days — but some Muslim countries were spared from the order’s blacklist, even though they have deep-seated ties to terrorism.

Conspicuously, Trump doesn’t hold any business interests in any of the countries on the list, but holds major stakes in several of those excluded from it, records show.

Friday’s executive order, signed at the Pentagon, suspends the issuing of U.S. visas or travel permits to people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Got that? According to the New York Daily News, President Trump should be including places like Egypt and Saudi Arabia on the list, but because he has business ties in those countries, he will not. This is proof of his corruption.

There is just one problem. Had the New York Daily News and those raising this allegation of corruption bothered to read the executive order, they would find that Donald Trump never mentioned any country except Syria. What he did mention was 8 U.S.C. 1182(f), a federal law signed by Barack Obama. That law and 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12), also mentioned in the executive order and enacted by Jimmy Carter in 1979, are all President Trump uses.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/many-opponents-of-president-trumps-immigration-order-believe-donald-trump-is-a-time-traveler/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:27 am »

Democrats.  Getting the courts to do what they are afraid to do legislatively.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 12:42:27 am »
Liberal Poppycock.

Is Ben Sasse a Liberal too? 

Sasse Statement on Border Security and Muslim Nations

January 28, 2017

U.S. Senator Ben Sasse, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, issued the following statement regarding border security and America’s ongoing battle with jihadism.

"The President is right to focus attention on the obvious fact that borders matter. At the same time, while not technically a Muslim ban, this order is too broad. There are two ways to lose our generational battle against jihadism by losing touch with reality. The first is to keep pretending that jihadi terrorism has no connection to Islam or to certain countries. That’s been a disaster. And here's the second way to fail: If we send a signal to the Middle East that the U.S. sees all Muslims as jihadis, the terrorist recruiters win by telling kids that America is banning Muslims and that this is America versus one religion. Both approaches are wrong, and both will make us less safe. Our generational fight against jihadism requires wisdom."

http://www.sasse.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=813E24D8-1B88-4070-BF16-795305303A2B

This is a huge mistake.  It is going to do more harm than good.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 12:53:21 am »
Democrats.  Getting the courts to do what they are afraid to do legislatively.

Many on the right constantly scream Rule of Law Rule of Law...but I guess that only applies if your side is enforcing the law......

This Ex Post Facto executive order would be challenged in a second by those on the Trump right if Obama had signed an EO barring LPR's from returning from a place like say.....Russia :whistle:

HonestJohn

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:59 am »

Yep.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 01:10:08 am »
I find it odd that those who opposed Obama's excessive use of executive orders are ok with King Trump doing the same.

In my view both presidents overused executive orders and in fact, may have used them improperly or illegally.  I don't think the Founding Fathers intended the president to use EOs except for mundane administrative matters that should not require congressional approval.  Naming a government building -- ok.  Radically changing existing law unilaterally  -- not ok.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 01:21:12 am »
I find it odd that those who opposed Obama's excessive use of executive orders are ok with King Trump doing the same.

In my view both presidents overused executive orders and in fact, may have used them improperly or illegally.  I don't think the Founding Fathers intended the president to use EOs except for mundane administrative matters that should not require congressional approval.  Naming a government building -- ok.  Radically changing existing law unilaterally  -- not ok.

George Washington only signed 8.

When it came to facilitating matters that clearly did not require Congress, the sessions for which were often short, Washington acted. For example, he issued on Oct. 3, 1789, an executive order recognizing a day of Thanksgiving for Thursday, Nov. 26. Another, on Aug. 26, 1790, dealt with the necessity for Americans to abide by treaties that had been made with several Indian tribes, and two clarified the boundaries of the District of Columbia that, beginning in 1800, would serve as the nation’s permanent capital.

Two more, on July 15, 1792, and Aug. 7, 1794, urged rebellious citizens to recognize and pay the tax on liquor that had become law. And because a so-called Whiskey Rebellion broke out in Pennsylvania, Washington actually led a military contingent there to end the violence. Later, in 1795, he pardoned guilty participants.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/14/dibacco-the-first-president-had-a-pen-but-no-phone/

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:13 am »

You are learning, like I did in the primary, that many who vote GOP *LOVE* executive orders when 'their' guy does it.

All their professed distaste of it was rank hypocrisy.

---

Hypocrites have a special circle of hell awaiting them.  Dante had them in the 6th circle (Canto 23).

http://www.online-literature.com/dante/inferno/23/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 03:37:49 am »
txradio wrote:
"They knew this would happen and they were ready for it.
I just hope our side pushes back."

Better get Scalia's seat on The Court filled, pronto.
We're going to need it!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:31 am »
George Washington only signed 8.

Franklin D. Roosevelt issued a whopping 3,522 executive actions during his 12 years as president; Ronald Reagan issued 381 from 1981-1989; Clinton 364 from 1993-2001; and George W. Bush 291 from 2001-2009.

During this eight years in office, Obama signed 277 executive orders.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/01/who_signed_more_executive_orde.html

Just some perspective.  It looks like President Trump has a long way to go to break any records...also from http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/01/who_signed_more_executive_orde.html ...

Trump's four executive orders as of Friday, Jan. 27 include:
Beginning the process of overturning the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as Obamacare;

Expediting environmental reviews and approvals for high-profile infrastructure projects;

Start work on the planning and eventual construction of a 1,900-mile long wall at the southern border with Mexico; add 5,000 new border protection officers;

Address additional immigration issues, including the elimination of federal funds for "sanctuary cities" which refuse to hand over or detain undocumented immigrants. Order also calls for hiring of 10,000 additional immigration officers.

Launch a review of military assets to determine equipment and traiing upgrades, address future threats.

Allow for increased vetting of refugees from seven predominately Muslim countries.

Other than building the wall and and some reservations about this "muslim ban."  I have little trouble with the other EOs.  It's hard for me to get upset about the wall when it is President Trump's signature campaign theme, and you can't build a wall without funds appropriated, workers contracted, permits, and environmental studies...so if they got all that stuff already they didn't need an EO to get rolling.

With this "muslim ban" I'm willing to give the administration some time to clarify and work out the flaws.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 11:55:42 pm »
Many on the right constantly scream Rule of Law Rule of Law...but I guess that only applies if your side is enforcing the law......

This Ex Post Facto executive order would be challenged in a second by those on the Trump right if Obama had signed an EO barring LPR's from returning from a place like say.....Russia :whistle:

After reading the decision, it makes sense.  If our government already granted a visa, and our government already allowed a foreigner to board a plane bound for the US, then our government must follow through.

This does not stop Trump from changing US policy, but he needs to stop issuing visas first.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-