Author Topic: In Iran, Shock and Bewilderment Over Trump Visa Crackdown  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In Iran, Shock and Bewilderment Over Trump Visa Crackdown
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:52:34 pm »
In Iran, Shock and Bewilderment Over Trump Visa Crackdown
msn.com, Jan 28, 2017, THOMAS ERDBRINK and JEFFREY GETTLEMAN/ NYT

TEHRAN — Families, businesspeople, athletes and tourists from seven countries in the Middle East and Africa found their travel plans — and even their futures — in a state of suspension on Friday after President Trump signed an executive order temporarily barring thousands from obtaining visas to travel to the United States.

The order is expected to freeze almost all travel to the United States by citizens from the Muslim-majority countries of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for at least 90 days. Three of those countries are considered sponsors of terrorism (Iran, Sudan and Syria), and three are designated countries of concern (Libya, Somalia and Yemen).

Passport-holders from those countries, who have American visas but are outside the United States, will not be permitted to return.

During the 90-day period, the Trump administration will assess if the foreign governments on the list are providing enough information about citizens seeking visas to enable the United States to assess whether they pose a terrorism risk. If the governments do not comply, they will be given 60 days to do so; failing that, their citizens will be barred from entering the United States.

While Iran willingly allows its citizens to travel to the United States, it is ideologically opposed to sharing information with Washington. But if it does not, many of its citizens will be cut off from visiting relatives who are among the estimated one million Iranian-Americans living in America.

The visa ban will provide an early indication of where relations between Tehran and the Trump administration are headed, one analyst said.

“Trump will regard the Iranian reaction as a test,” said Farshad Ghorbanpour, who is close to the government of President Hassan Rouhani. “If Iran doesn’t comply, they won’t do so either on other issues. We will see in 30 days.”

Another analyst doubted the government would comply with the order.

“We are not obliged to give information about our citizens to the Trump administration,” said Hamidreza Taraghi, considered a hard-liner. “Such a move would be unjustifiable.”

Read more:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in-iran-shock-and-bewilderment-over-trump-visa-crackdown/ar-AAmklPI?li=AA4Zpp&ocid=spartanntp

Re: In Iran, Shock and Bewilderment Over Trump Visa Crackdown
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:44 pm »
They might want to rethink that "death to America!" thing.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:56:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:22 pm »
The Iranians can whine about our policy as soon they allow Israelis to visit their country.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »
The Iranians can whine about our policy as soon they allow Israelis to visit their country.

Well, yes, but why would Israelis want to visit Iran? 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:14:51 pm »

No sense letting perfectly good tanks just sit around.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:27:56 pm »

Because Iranian nuclear facilities are beautiful this time of year?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 08:38:07 pm »

There is a huge Iranian-expatriate community in SoCal, since before the muslim revolution there.

Mostly muslims, but a significant number of Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, Baha'is etc.

And they have traveled back and forth fairly easily, to visit family etc.

I believe these people have little influence with Iran's government. But maybe some. Every time elections come up in Iran, there is hope raised that "this time," of changing things over there.

Beside the countries named, others should be considered too. Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt,, Kuwait, Saudi, Turkey, Pakistan,, Afghanistan, etc. have ALL contributed terrorists.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:12 pm »
There is a huge Iranian-expatriate community in SoCal, since before the muslim revolution there.

Mostly muslims, but a significant number of Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, Baha'is etc.

And they have traveled back and forth fairly easily, to visit family etc.

How would they be affected by the temporary ban now in place? @truth_seeker 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:46:10 pm »
How would they be affected by the temporary ban now in place? @truth_seeker

I don't know exactly. My wife recently worked with a woman, that had family back in Iran. She wore the headscarf when she visited Iran.

I worked with a woman with family in Syria. Christians. My work-mate was a naturalized US citizen, but her elderly mother was still in Syria. Just when things got bad, she traveled to visit her mother, and brought her back to finish her days.

People from those types of circumstances usually don't volunteer to have candid discussions, about politics or religion. The environment they left, holds risks for those who do that.

So I am reluctant to push. Same for my wife, who is not a political person.

Immigrant statistics for California:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=258
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 09:57:53 pm »
I don't know exactly. My wife recently worked with a woman, that had family back in Iran. She wore the headscarf when she visited Iran.

I worked with a woman with family in Syria. Christians. My work-mate was a naturalized US citizen, but her elderly mother was still in Syria. Just when things got bad, she traveled to visit her mother, and brought her back to finish her days.

People from those types of circumstances usually don't volunteer to have candid discussions, about politics or religion. The environment they left, holds risks for those who do that.

So I am reluctant to push. Same for my wife, who is not a political person.

If there's no issue with their immigrant status, I don't see how Trump's temporary ban affects them.  Unless I'm missing something. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 12:12:40 am »
Iran to take 'reciprocal measures' after Trump's immigration order

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/middleeast/iran-will-ban-us-citizens/index.html

Does this mean Val Jar won't be able to go home now?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 12:23:27 am »
Because Iranian nuclear facilities are beautiful this time of year?

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald