Author Topic: McConnell all but rules out filibuster change  (Read 867 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell all but rules out filibuster change
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:31 pm »
By Alexander Bolton and … - 01/27/17 04:06 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Friday all but ruled out the possibility of a change to the filibuster rule this year.

McConnell made his comment in an interview with The Hill one day after President Trump said he wants Senate Republicans to strip Democrats of the power to filibuster Supreme Court nominees if they attempt to block his pick.

“Senate rules are a matter for the Senate and a lot of other people have opinions,” McConnell said.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/316583-mcconnell-all-but-rules-out-filibuster-change
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: McConnell all but rules out filibuster change
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:01:16 am »
So once again, McConnell hands the democrats the guns, the ammunition and the road to victory.

The jerk wad who told us Tea Party patriots to sit down, shut up or get punched in the nose.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:01:57 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
What the hell is wrong with McConnell?  Seriously.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:20:52 am »

McConnell warns Trump to back off on killing filibuster

In a POLITICO interview, the Senate leader mocked his counterpart, Chuck Schumer, ahead of a Supreme Court showdown.

By Burgess Everett and Seung Min Kim
  | 01/27/17 06:53 PM EST

After engineering a nearly year-long Supreme Court blockade, Mitch McConnell now wants Democrats to swallow President Donald Trump’s high court nominee hook, line and sinker.

And a day after Trump urged McConnell to kill the filibuster if Democrats mount a sustained resistance to his high court pick, McConnell had this to say to the new president: That's not your call.

“That’s not a presidential decision. That’s a Senate decision,” McConnell told POLITICO in an interview Friday that focused mostly on the Supreme Court. “What I’ve said to him, and I’ve stated publicly and I’ll say today: We’re going to get this nominee confirmed.”

Trump is planning to announce his nominee next week.

Though McConnell has had a warm relationship with Trump, twice during the interview he subtly chided the new commander in chief. The Republican leader also implored Trump not to lift sanctions on Russia, a possibility that a top White House aide said Friday is under consideration.

As for the Supreme Court, McConnell steered away from talk of deploying the so-called "nuclear option" — a monumental change to Senate rules that would do away with the filibuster. Instead he suggested that Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Democrats should refrain from even requiring 60 votes.

<..snip..>

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/mitch-mcconnell-trump-filibuster-234293
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 12:22:38 am »
I agree with him. Nuclear option should be the last resort.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 12:27:26 am »
I agree with him. Nuclear option should be the last resort.

QFT

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:10 am »

In this case.....  and this case only.  Not a dumb ass .

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:37:30 am »

And of course,  who expected different from McConnell? 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:39:47 am »

He's part of the "Moderate Republican"  Washington "Establishment."

You do recall he said he would like to punch the "Tea Party"  in the nose?   

Back when he was up for election,   I pleaded with Kentucky Freepers to elect the kookbat Democrat instead of McConnell,  because after the way he helped backstab McDaniel in Mississippi,   I knew he was going to go full blown traitor. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 12:43:13 am »

Back when he was up for election,   I pleaded with Kentucky Freepers to elect the kookbat Democrat instead of McConnell,  because after the way he helped backstab McDaniel in Mississippi,   I knew he was going to go full blown traitor.

We knew that here before he was elected.

But the local yokels like all the pork he brings home to his machine and it truly rivals what you would see in Cook County, IL in terms of intimidation factor and machinery.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 12:44:55 am »
Don't forget that McConnell also said on talk shows last Sunday "the nominee will be confirmed". He was asked again if that meant eliminating the filibuster and all he would say was, "the nominee will be confirmed". So I don't think eliminating the filibuster is off the table. He's just playing his cards close to his chest.

Trump has been exciting this past week. He's moving on a lot of different fronts, but he's clearly not subtle or nuanced just look at the canceled visit from the Mexican President. Also, you can't rely on anything being reported by the media. They twist everything and are doing their best to make big issues out of things that aren't really all that important.

In the end I think it's going to work out. If not the Rats will come roaring back into power and that will be the end of the republic.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:39 am »
We knew that here before he was elected.

But the local yokels like all the pork he brings home to his machine and it truly rivals what you would see in Cook County, IL in terms of intimidation factor and machinery.

Another reason why we need term limits.   That accumulation of power comes from seniority and contacts made while being there.   

We need to keep people cycling in and out of Washington without growing roots to the place. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 12:49:47 am »

You're right about McConnell, but he's not an idiot. He knows if he blows this opportunity the Pubs will be killed in 2018. The big things are going to get done and the nominee will be confirmed.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 01:00:36 am »
You're right about McConnell, but he's not an idiot. He knows if he blows this opportunity the Pubs will be killed in 2018. The big things are going to get done and the nominee will be confirmed.

Let us hope so.   It makes sense,  so let's hope it turns out to be the case.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:35 am »

Let us hope so.   It makes sense,  so let's hope it turns out to be the case.

You know it's hard to believe Pres. Trump has only been in office one week. Of course he did more in the period from the election to the inauguration than obama did in his last 6 years. The media has been going crazy to try and find ways to undercut Pres. Trump. They tried to make an issue of who's going to pay for the wall. They tried to make enhanced interrogation a big issue. They tried to make replacing obamacare with every single person in the country being covered and better off a requirement of repealing obamacare. Now they are going to twist McConnell protecting his power (Senate rules are for the Senate to decide) the same as meaning the filibuster can't be ended if necessary.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to wait 6 months before I get concerned. I think in McConnell's case he's sick and tired of being lectured to after 8 years of that smug, "holier than thou" obama. When Trump comes out and says what he wants, in this case ending the filibuster, McConnell is making it clear he runs the Senate. That being said, McConnell did not say' "I don't know if we can get the nominee through".

I love eating sausage so I don't watch too closely when it's being made.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 02:11:53 am »

Another reason why we need term limits.   That accumulation of power comes from seniority and contacts made while being there.   

We need to keep people cycling in and out of Washington without growing roots to the place.

I'm down for that.  A Constitutional Amendment at that.