Author Topic: White House press secretary ‘tweeted his own password’ so everyone feels very safe  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:02:54 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Hopefully Trump doesn't tweet the nuclear codes.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Just a pocket post IMO.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
You keep your passwords when they can be butt dialed? Good to know - if I were an identity thief.

He screwed up. Not going to hassle him about it - everyone has done something similar, be it putting a password in a username field or hitting reply all instead of reply.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Passwords are notoriously insecure.   They rely on people who forget them and have to write them down.   Especially when you have 20 or 30 passwords.

Most studies of data breaches find passwords are a factor in the breach 70-80% of the time.   Its a mistake to assume the password is enough to keep your information secure.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
According to the FBI he can tweet out the nuclear codes or any other state secret as long as "they don't detect any intent to do harm".

Offline Cripplecreek

Passwords are notoriously insecure.   They rely on people who forget them and have to write them down.   Especially when you have 20 or 30 passwords.

Most studies of data breaches find passwords are a factor in the breach 70-80% of the time.   Its a mistake to assume the password is enough to keep your information secure.

I don't worry about our nuclear launch codes much and despite my disgust with our current president, I don't worry about him with them either.

I know the codes change periodically and that it takes at least 5 people with their own codes (and keys) to launch a nuke.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I don't worry about our nuclear launch codes much and despite my disgust with our current president, I don't worry about him with them either.

I know the codes change periodically and that it takes at least 5 people with their own codes (and keys) to launch a nuke.

@Cripplecreek

I don't think he actually has the codes.   He has access to the codes but they are kept locked up until they are needed (hopefully never).

So its not like he has them in his wallet.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek

I don't think he actually has the codes.   He has access to the codes but they are kept locked up until they are needed (hopefully never).

So its not like he has them in his wallet.

Bingo. Its probably a lot more secure than any of us have a clue about.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Bingo. Its probably a lot more secure than any of us have a clue about.

correct. I'm wouldn't be surprised if it is something similar to a rotating VPN token on stereoids, not just a number on a piece of paper he can pull out.

Of course, this is the federal government so it could be as bad as the nuclear code being "Password"

Offline endicom

According to the FBI he can tweet out the nuclear codes or any other state secret as long as "they don't detect any intent to do harm".

But the press secretary is not going to have the nuclear codes.