Author Topic: Texas Drive-Ins  (Read 5274 times)

Wingnut

Texas Drive-Ins
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:01 am »

The Belknap Drive-In opened in 1948 in Haltom City with a capacity for 600 cars. This drive-in closed around 1982.  Also known as the Buffalo Drive-In

It was closed before I could visit.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:14:00 am by Wingnut »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Texas Drive-Ins
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:30:59 am »

SoCal used to have many drive-ins. Trouble was, the windows fogged up.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:36:12 am »
I am confused by pictures of billboards and calling them "Drive-In". What are you oldsters talking about?

This is the only Drive-in I am familiar with....

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:41:27 am »
SoCal used to have many drive-ins. Trouble was, the windows fogged up.

I had that problem too.   :beer:

Offline politicalwit

• MedRecruiterUSA, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:40:50 am »

The Belknap Drive-In opened in 1948 in Haltom City with a capacity for 600 cars. This drive-in closed around 1982.  Also known as the Buffalo Drive-In

It was closed before I could visit.

Was a semi-frequent visitor in the mid to late 60's. Fogged up numerous windows throughout Tarrant , Wise and Denton counties. There's still a drive-in in Gatesville. Still fog up the windows but it's COPD and asthma that causes the heavy breathing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:41:18 am by politicalwit »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:12:31 pm »
I was a regular at the Telephone Rd Drive-In in Houston on the "Dollar a Car-Load" night. I don't know how many accidents was caused by the XXX Red Bluff Drive-in that you could see from the road.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:44 pm »
 Texas Drive-ins

Texas was host to the 3rd drive-in theatre to open in
America, at Galveston in July of 1934 (the 1st & 2nd had
opened in New Jersey and Pennsylvania), and thereafter - as
in most things, Texas went at it in a BIG way .. by the late 50's,
generally the peak years for American drive-ins, Texans had the
biggest peak in the industry, hosting nearly 400 outdoor theatres.

Although the state had held-out in true Alamo fashion, longer than most,
and, was still harboring nearly 200 drive-in theatres even 20 years after
the boom ..  but ultimately, Texas would see their number decline by 96%
and presently, there are only 16 Drive-ins operating in the Lone Star state.
On an UP note:  5 of these were built or revived in the past four years, and
the next .. a new twin-screen Drive-in (Lubbock) will be lit in July of 2003.

http://www.driveinmovie.com/TX.htm

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »

Offline Millee

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:36:37 pm »
If you enjoy Americana sites, this one is pretty fun.   :patriot:

https://cardboardamerica.org/

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 10:59:39 pm »
I was a regular at the Telephone Rd Drive-In in Houston on the "Dollar a Car-Load" night. I don't know how many accidents was caused by the XXX Red Bluff Drive-in that you could see from the road.
Yep, in Pasadena, I remember that.

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:13:00 pm »
   many, many good times had here in the early to mid 60's.

Thunderbird Drive-In

Clay Road and Cambell Road
Houston, TX 77001

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:47:17 pm »
The Brazos Drive-in in Granbury is still open. Now, instead of a speaker you hang on a partially open window, you tune into a low power FM station and get a good stereo sound. It opened in 1952

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:32 pm »
At our D.I. the window speakers doubled as heaters.  Kept the car windows from fogging over.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:24 am »
Houston’s first outdoor theatre, originally known as the Drive-in Theatre, opened on June 7, 1940. The generic name gave way to the Texas Drive-in, and later, its better-known name of the South Main Drive-In.

Many other followed: The Epsom Downs, Winkler, Shepherd, Market Street, Trail, Airline, Hempstead Road, Irvington, Post Oak (two separate ones), King Center Twin, Hi-Nabor, Red Bluff, Tidwell, Gulfway, Thunderbird, Telephone Road Twin, and McLendon Triple.

Then there was the massive Loew’s Sharpstown Drive-in, with an oversized concession stand and children’s play area, including a miniature train ride.

The last drive-in to be built was also the last to go. Gordon McLendon’s I-45 Drive-in opened on July 2, 1982. It closed ten years later, on February 29, 1992. With the I-45, the era of the Drive-in came to a close in Houston.

Sort of.

In 2005, the owners of the Crossroads Drive-In in Shiner constructed a new drive-in theatre, the Starlite, on Highway 59 near Kingwood. The following year, the Showboat Drive-in opened in Tomball. For those who are willing to make the drive, it is still possible to see a movie under the stars, just like the old days.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 01:08:57 am »
At our D.I. the window speakers doubled as heaters.  Kept the car windows from fogging over.

Didn't know that was possible!  Been to many a drive in theater.  Can't recall the name of a single film I "saw" at one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 02:12:42 am »

Looks like we are from the same stomping grounds.  I remember the Red Bluff in the 1950's.  My mother, aunt and I would go and saw some "greats" there ...like Trantula with Leo G Carroll, The King and I (Yul Brenner), Vertigo (Kim Novak) and of course Love Me Tender (Elvis).  After moving from Pasadena, the Telephone Rd Drive-in was not far away.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:53 am »
We didn't have them fancy heater speakers. We just lit the mosquito coils on the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUF_xAy5AM

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:13:34 pm »
Looks like we are from the same stomping grounds.  I remember the Red Bluff in the 1950's.  My mother, aunt and I would go and saw some "greats" there ...like Trantula with Leo G Carroll, The King and I (Yul Brenner), Vertigo (Kim Novak) and of course Love Me Tender (Elvis).  After moving from Pasadena, the Telephone Rd Drive-in was not far away.
@Elderberry
@Texas Yellow Rose

Somewhere around 35 years ago, I lived in the Almeda Mall area.
There was a drive in on Almeda-Genoa, between I-45 and Ols Galveston Road.
Of course, a tornado took down the screen and some joker spray painted "Gone With the Wind" on the Marquee.
Another one off of South Main before you get to post oak that is long gone now.
It is a trailer park now, that caters to people who come from all over, to get treatment at the Med Center.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 08:03:34 pm »
I grew up in Overbrook Subdivision just north of Sims Bayou and east of Mykawa. I was in many rock and BB gun wars when kids from Garden Villas(south of Sims Bayou) attempted to cross the train trestle. I still have an air rifle at the not so ready these days, and its now a Diana 48. I now hang out in the neighborhood just north of Hobby Airport.

In addition to the Telephone Rd Drive in, I also went to Hi-Nabor on Mykawa and King Center at 610 and South Park.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:33:32 pm »
I was in many rock and BB gun wars

We used to take the cores out of the Daisy bb guns and use it to shoot rocks and clods at each other. Wonder we never put out someone's eye.....Mom used to wonder how I got so many bruises as a kiddo......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:34:28 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 12:47:55 am »
@Elderberry
@Texas Yellow Rose

Somewhere around 35 years ago, I lived in the Almeda Mall area.
There was a drive in on Almeda-Genoa, between I-45 and Ols Galveston Road.
Of course, a tornado took down the screen and some joker spray painted "Gone With the Wind" on the Marquee.
Another one off of South Main before you get to post oak that is long gone now.
It is a trailer park now, that caters to people who come from all over, to get treatment at the Med Center.

Here are some pictures:
Gulfway Drive-in
http://p4cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_80688/Image/Departments/Alumni%20Development%20Carter/South%20Houston/PERIOD%20PHOTOS/gulfway%20scale.jpg

Pasadena Drive-In
http://p4cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_80688/Image/Departments/Alumni%20Development%20Carter/South%20Houston/PERIOD%20PHOTOS/pasadena%20scale.jpg

Telephone Road Drive-In
http://p4cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_80688/Image/Departments/Alumni%20Development%20Carter/South%20Houston/PERIOD%20PHOTOS/tele2%20scale.jpg

I got these from this walk down memory lane:  http://www1.pasadenaisd.org/community/alumni_central/high_schools/south_houston_high_school_alumni/s_h_h_s_alumni__reunion_news/s_o_h_o_p_e_d_i_a__our_favorite_places_to_meet/

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »
http://www1.pasadenaisd.org/community/alumni_central/high_schools/south_houston_high_school_alumni/s_h_h_s_alumni__reunion_news/s_o_h_o_p_e_d_i_a__our_favorite_places_to_meet/

Wow! This took me back! I stumbled upon this thread and got caught up in the nostalgia for drive-ins. Then I found @Texas Yellow Rose's link (above) and spent a while scrolling through the pics and narrative of the old places. This is my era and my area, although the small town where I grew up in Galveston County wasn't included in the list. Back in those days, Houston seemed like 250 miles up the freeway. We just didn't run up to Houston and surrounding areas like folks do now. Plus, we were teens and had parental restrictions we were obligated to obey.

Missing from the list of clubs on that link was Van's Ballroom. That's one of the few places I did actually sneak up to Houston to go dancing. Good blues music. Good music for whip dancing which I was a great devotee of. Some of my Garner friends and I got real nervy and went up there one night and never got caught! It was worth the risk for the dancing.   :dancer:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 01:18:16 am »
You peoples were all South and East of me!  I had quite a few "adventures"  at

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30581
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien