Author Topic: Takes a real Coward to hit someone and leave them on the road to die.  (Read 3610 times)

Wingnut

Mother of Georgetown cyclist finds his body after hit-and-run.

GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) — Authorities are trying to find out who hit and killed a 19-year-old bicyclist in Georgetown between Monday night and early Tuesday morning.

Georgetown police say Thomas “Tommy” Ketterhagen was last seen riding his bicycle in east Georgetown around 5 p.m. Monday. When he didn’t return home that evening, his family reported him missing. On Tuesday morning, his mother found his body in the 2300 block of Patriot Way.

“To see his body there on the grass and see his bike just crashed to smithereens, it was awful. But I was thankful I got there first, that I was able to hold him, talk to him and just be with him,” said the victim’s mother Luz Ketterhagen.

Investigators believe Ketterhagen was struck by a vehicle that might be blue, however, they say there is very little additional evidence that was left at the scene. Police believe Ketterhagen was hit sometime between 5 p.m. Monday and 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

According to Ketterhagen’s Facebook, he is an avid cyclist. “I’ve seen that kid avoid impossible situations,” his father, Thomas Ketterhagen, said. “There’s no solace or no way for the grief to go away but we do need information. If anyone knows anything that might lead to the conclusion of the investigation, please come forth.”

His mother added, “We hope that this will make us all concerned about how we drive and about sharing the road with other cyclists.”

If you have any information on the crash, please Detective Kirby Shoemake at 512.930.8491 or kirby.shoemake@georgetown.org.

http://kxan.com/2017/01/24/19-year-old-georgetown-bicyclist-killed-in-hit-and-run/

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Takes a real Coward to hit someone and leave them on the road to die.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:14:36 am »
Dang that's sad.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:20:27 am by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:32:47 am »

I used to cycle a ton of miles, as in training for centuries, Hawaii Ironman distance triathlons, etc.

And I foolishly rode on streets and highways with bad lighting.

Today I notice people cycling in dark clothing after dark, with no lights.

There is NO EXCUSE for a hit and run.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:07 am »
I used to cycle a ton of miles, as in training for centuries, Hawaii Ironman distance triathlons, etc.

And I foolishly rode on streets and highways with bad lighting.

Today I notice people cycling in dark clothing after dark, with no lights.

There is NO EXCUSE for a hit and run.

t-s.  Not sure it was dark.  But I hear you.

Knowing Austin (and the area surrounding) It was still light at 5pm when he started his ride...  maybe duskish at 7 pm.  Big wide shoulders on that road....  Right now with limited info... I'm thinking an illegal or a drunk.

Edit.  Sunset was 6:03.   Yep..  Low light.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:53:45 am by Wingnut »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 01:20:30 am »

Edit.  Sunset was 6:03.   Yep..  Low light.

Orange County CA coast today, sunset 5:17 pm, about 5 weeks after the shortest day Dec. 20-21.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:59:33 am »
A big problem nowadays is "texting" and using cell phones.

When I ride; I have a few rules of thumbs, don't ride during times when people are drinking OR... ride in a very cautious manner, through neighborhoods if you can, etc.

But "texting" is as dangerous as drunk driving and it can happen any time.

These accidents can happen everywhere in the end, though they say some cities are more conducive and friendly to cyclists, I believe that. Though, I've never ridden too much in traffic as some people do.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:02:32 am »
This is terrible. 

Traffic throughout central Texas has gotten crazy.  I wouldn't ride a bike of any kind around here any more. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:47 am »
Sad, he could have been out there for as many as 14 and a half hours it sounds like:

Investigators believe Ketterhagen was struck by a vehicle that might be blue, however, they say there is very little additional evidence that was left at the scene. Police believe Ketterhagen was hit sometime between 5 p.m. Monday and 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

There is no excuse to leave the scene of the accident;

But a lot of accidents cyclists get into are their own fault, that's sad, I've done things on the bike myself that are pretty dumb. 

Not to tell anyone else how to ride but at a minimum, I've got lights, rear blinkies and a helmet. I even have one of those lights on my wheels, night-eyez. You can't be too safe.... and nowadays, as said, people are on their cell phones. I got busted once for using a cell-phone and now, I put it away absolutely, cops caught me in a sting.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:12:27 am by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:26:29 pm »
I got busted once for using a cell-phone and now, I put it away absolutely, cops caught me in a sting.

How do they do a cellphone sting?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 03:28:00 pm »
How do they do a cellphone sting?

It was my first ticket in 10 years, I just had the phone for a second and this police officer came out of nowhere, I think the operation must have been to just get phone users and that is why I called it a sting. Maybe they have a way to track phones. It was just after I got my first cell phone as well. 

Now, I just put the phone away, I know some stick them up on the dash and I guess if it is stationary that is okay.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 03:37:12 pm »
I turn mine off. Never been a fan of the idea that you have to be reachable 24/7 anyways, and driving is my way of relaxing and thinking things through.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »
This is terrible. 
Traffic throughout central Texas has gotten crazy.  I wouldn't ride a bike of any kind around here any more.
@Sanguine

We are north of Dallas.  When we go to church, we travel over the Grapevine Lake dam road, high with lake on both sides.  Just two lane and no shoulder, barrier on both sides. A car on both sides fills up that road over the dam.  Went to evening literature class at church last week and when we got there, a man asked us if we traveled that road to get there.  We said yes.  He asked if there was a dead body of a jogger on that road.  We said no.  He said when he was on the road, a jogger in dark clothes was on that road and he had to swerve into oncoming lane to miss him.  Luckily, no car was in the oncoming lane at the time.  The man was very upset he nearly hit that jogger. Some people have no sense. 

It is a matter of physics.  If space is filled with two cars and you insert yourself into that space, something is going to give and it will be the human body that is weaker than two cars.   

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:02 pm »
I turn mine off. Never been a fan of the idea that you have to be reachable 24/7 anyways, and driving is my way of relaxing and thinking things through.

That is exactly why I ride. It's my only peace and quiet time of the day. The only thing my cell phone does is record my ride for Strava or to call home for a ride if something breaks.  I want to get a GoPro to record my rides if evidence is ever needed.......

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 04:02:09 pm »
@Sanguine

We are north of Dallas.  When we go to church, we travel over the Grapevine Lake dam road, high with lake on both sides.  Just two lane and no shoulder, barrier on both sides. A car on both sides fills up that road over the dam.  Went to evening literature class at church last week and when we got there, a man asked us if we traveled that road to get there.  We said yes.  He asked if there was a dead body of a jogger on that road.  We said no.  He said when he was on the road, a jogger in dark clothes was on that road and he had to swerve into oncoming lane to miss him.  Luckily, no car was in the oncoming lane at the time.  The man was very upset he nearly hit that jogger. Some people have no sense. 

It is a matter of physics.  If space is filled with two cars and you insert yourself into that space, something is going to give and it will be the human body that is weaker than two cars.

I've been thinking of putting up a "no Lycra, no Spandex" sign out on the country road where I live.  Maybe would help?

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »
I've been thinking of putting up a "no Lycra, no Spandex" sign out on the country road where I live.  Maybe would help?

Trust me, It wouldn't.  We would all stop and take pictures of ourselves by the sign and post it on FB!
A MAMIL* has no shame!

* http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2869069/Oh-shame-married-MAMIL-s-Middle-Aged-Man-Lycra.html

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »
@Sanguine

You would be branded a hater of joggers/runners and your house burned down.  8black day

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:43:18 pm »
Trust me, It wouldn't.  We would all stop and take pictures of ourselves by the sign and post it on FB!
A MAMIL* has no shame!

* http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2869069/Oh-shame-married-MAMIL-s-Middle-Aged-Man-Lycra.html

Oh, wow.  That explains a lot.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 04:44:56 pm »
A MAMIL* has no shame!

My wife does dressage..Her outfit is exactly like this but she wears a helmet during competition and then changes to the short top hat during awards...and she wears puffy shirts. Men who do dressage have the same exact outfit and many are gay.

When we first dated she laughed at my biking pants and I said honey you have no room to talk.

@Wingnut

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 04:57:53 pm »
Oh, wow.  That explains a lot.

@Sanguine @mirraflake @Victoria33

Victoria doesn't know it but she probably has seen me and our group out riding around Lake Grapevine, Or Grapevine Mills Mall up to Flower Mound over to Azle into Roanoke, Keller an back to Southlake!  I don't live in Keller anymore.  I miss those guys and the rides!.

True story,  We had this guy in the club that would buy a new road bike every year.  He had to have the latest and greatest.  The only caveat was the new bike had to be black.   That was so when his wife went into the garage she wouldn't notice.  He's divorced now.  Had to sell half his bike collection in the settlement!   

Me,  I am not that devious..... My only wish is that when I die, my wife doesn't sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »

Did you get on the wrong thread  @TomSea ?

Edit,  Clean up on isle 8
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:10:48 pm by MOD8 »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline MOD8

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:48 pm »
@TomSea

Take it elsewhere. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:09 pm »
A big problem nowadays is "texting" and using cell phones.

When I ride; I have a few rules of thumbs, don't ride during times when people are drinking OR... ride in a very cautious manner, through neighborhoods if you can, etc.

But "texting" is as dangerous as drunk driving and it can happen any time.

My oldest son lost his leg below the knee because of somebody texting while behind the wheel.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:53 pm »
@Sanguine

@MOD8 @Idaho_Cowboy , @Victoria33

Can you please tell us the name of the literature you are reading and the name of your church?

If one makes a habit of telling us personal info; then we want to learn more.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 05:15:58 pm »
My Dad, years ago(pre-cell phone days) came across a biker that had been hit. He was conscious and all my dad could get out of him before he left to call for an ambulance was a phone number. Turns out the number was for the man's girl friend. Later he called my dad and let him know that he came out of it OK.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 05:19:07 pm »
@Sanguine
Victoria doesn't know it but she probably has seen me and our group out riding around Lake Grapevine, Or Grapevine Mills Mall up to Flower Mound over to Azle into Roanoke, Keller an back to Southlake!  I don't live in Keller anymore.  I miss those guys and the rides!.
@Wingnut

I live in Highland Village and know where all those places are.  Been here since 2014. There has been a few times when the road over the Grapevine dam was shut down for cars on a weekend day for some kind of big biker ride.

We have friends in Grapevine and Southlake.  Our St. Francis Catholic Church is in Grapevine and we make that trip to church three times a week - Literature class on Monday night, I tutor a Spanish priest in English on Tuesday, and church on Saturday - always go over the dam road.  Will send you a message to know where you live now. Would be nice if you are still in the area.