Author Topic: Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich  (Read 998 times)

Wingnut

Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:32:59 pm »

An armed guard stands at the entrance of the Survival Condo Project, a former missile silo north of Wichita, Kansas, that has been converted into luxury apartments for people worried about the crackup of civilization.Photograph by Dan Winters for The New Yorker   

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m bleep.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focussed on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

More:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:28 pm »
And the instant the SHTF, all these billionaires are going to scramble to their jets, get to Kansas and find the gates locked and the guards and their families safely inside.

So - win-win, I guess?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:31:49 am »
“If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m bleep.”
Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 01:20:52 am »
Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode?

"Time Enough at Last"

Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page, but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment, Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself... without anyone.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 01:34:23 am »
And the instant the SHTF, all these billionaires are going to scramble to their jets, get to Kansas and find the gates locked and the guards and their families safely inside.

So - win-win, I guess?

"The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated."

I'm forever entertained at how supposedly smart people think they will just hop on a plane/get in the Bugatti and go unmolested to their safe space during the freaking apocalypse.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:35:10 am »
"Time Enough at Last"

Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page, but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment, Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself... without anyone.

Best episode ever. Hell, best TV show ever.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:37:57 am »
I thought everyone had their own missile silo...what am I missing? :smokin:

I had a friend years ago that owned a log cabin that sat right on top of an old nike missile silo...was pretty cool.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:00 am »
"The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated."

I'm forever entertained at how supposedly smart people think they will just hop on a plane/get in the Bugatti and go unmolested to their safe space during the freaking apocalypse.

Two thoughts:

1) If you have more money than you'll ever spend, dropping some on a long shot is probably better than doing nothing at all.

2) In the event of an apocalypse, what are 99.999% of the US population going to do?  They're going to walk around holding up their phones trying to get a signal.  Without facebook or google, they're hopeless.  Overly dramatic, yes, but the concept is, IMO, valid.  If you recognize the event, have already prepared what you need ahead of time, and can hit the road in a few minutes, you're going to be way ahead of most people who are going to first do nothing, then get nervous and start thinking about what they need, then join thousands of other people at the grocery store.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:13 am »
I wonder if this is why Vermont -- rural and almost exclusively white -- has become the #2 state into which people are migrating? (as seen posted in another thread here at The Briefing Room)

A good place to "hide out" during hard times... IF you "have the resources".

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 02:26:20 am »

2) In the event of an apocalypse, what are 99.999% of the US population going to do?  They're going to walk around holding up their phones trying to get a signal.  Without facebook or google, they're hopeless.  Overly dramatic, yes, but the concept is, IMO, valid.

No, it is not remotely overly dramatic. It's the truth. How many millenials can make fire withou a match? Bait a fish hook? Use a fishing pole at all? No, They are completely hopeless. They will die of exposure/disease/psych medication withdrawl rather rapidly or end up sex/other slaves for the raider/feral types that will run rampant.