Author Topic: White House press secretary says border wall will be funded by 20% import tax on Mexican goods  (Read 13370 times)

Offline skeeter

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yet you critique my reply.

Feel free to answer my question at your leisure.

Offline skeeter

Feel free to answer my question at your leisure.

Yeah, wait for it.

• Technical

Yeah, wait for it.

How will Mexico pay for the wall if Americans don't buy Mexican products and don't pay the tariff?

Offline skeeter

How will Mexico pay for the wall if Americans don't buy Mexican products and don't pay the tariff?

Are you serious?

How do you think Mexican businesses will react when facing the possibility of being cut off from the American market?

We have the leverage Its time we used it to our benefit.

Have you ever been involved in a negotiation?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:30:24 am by skeeter »

• Technical
Are you serious?

How do you think Mexican businesses will react when facing the possibility of being cut off from the American market?

We have the leverage Its time we used it to our benefit.

So you actually think Mexico will pay for the wall?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Stunning proof that this remains a #nevertrump site.

Item after item as we are nearly finished with the fourth day, get criticized. FOUTH DAY.

So called Conservatives and Republicans have asked for change for years, yet when it comes in boatloads, the uproar against change is amazing.

More and more proof that "establishment Republicans" and their entrenched status quo, are a big part of the problem.

I'm all for change.  I want this President to succeed.   But picking an unnecessary fight with Mexico on his fourth day in office is idiocy.

Trump's Achilles heel has never been his populism, it's been his temperament.   He refusal to stop tweeting is ridiculous. and given his present power, dangerous.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

Boeing will get parts manufactured for pennies on the dollar in Mexico, some dude stateside will duct tape them together with red white and blue tape and some ill informed airline will buy it like Air Gambia. Since Boeing is passing the 20% along, the Gambians will pay it.

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm all for change.  I want this President to succeed.   But picking an unnecessary fight with Mexico on his fourth day in office is idiocy.

Trump's Achilles heel has never been his populism, it's been his temperament.   He refusal to stop tweeting is ridiculous. and given his present power, dangerous.

That's where I'm at. I didn't vote for him but now that he's in I hope he is a success, and in four years I can say I was wrong about him. Some of what he has done this week I think is fantastic, but on some other things Im reminded why I didn't like him in the primary.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline DB

Assuming the American consumer has no choice but to buy Mexican stuff.

But they do have a choice.

Well if they make that choice Mexico still won't be "paying for the wall" will they.

Offline corbe

All the people keeping their old cars alive with Mexican starters, alternators every 12 months are gonna pay
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

So you actually think Mexico will pay for the wall?

I think if played properly they will.

Making up 20% of the world's GDP the american economy & US consumer has been the engine of the world's economies for decades.

We have a right to insist that other nations wanting to play in our sandbox not take advantage of their relationship with us as Mexico has. If our threat to level tariffs if they do not accommodate our request can be credibly made you can bet they'll come around.

Its not as if it represents a financial hardship for them.

Personally, with our current debt of 19 trillion I could give a crap who pays the measly 20 billion for the wall as long as it gets built.

Offline DB

Boeing will get parts manufactured for pennies on the dollar in Mexico, some dude stateside will duct tape them together with red white and blue tape and some ill informed airline will buy it like Air Gambia. Since Boeing is passing the 20% along, the Gambians will pay it.

And when Boeing products cost more they won't sell as many. More jobs to Airbus, Brazil, etc. We are not an island that can live in isolation.

Trade wars always result in less trade and less overall economic activity for everyone.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

What you call "picking a fight with Mexico" I call following through on his campaign position, which is consistent with the border barrier conservatives and Republicans have been calling for, for decades.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
What about a 20% transaction fee on all monies sent back to Mexico from our illegal alien 'breadwinners'?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DB

What you call "picking a fight with Mexico" I call following through on his campaign position, which is consistent with the border barrier conservatives and Republicans have been calling for, for decades.

A tariff and a wall are not the same thing. This thread is about a tariff. The only thing it has to do with "The Wall" is the illusion of making "Mexico pay for it".

Offline DB

What about a 20% transaction fee on all monies sent back to Mexico from our illegal alien 'breadwinners'?

Won't get much of an argument from me on that one. I think Western Union is doing close to that now...

Offline goodwithagun

Oh no. Sombrero prices are going up......and with Cinco de Mayo right around the corner.

Cinco de Mayo? That's months away! How can you even worry about that when Taco Tuesday happens every week?! Think about the children!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

There is a federal law regarding withholding, for real estate transactions involving foreign entities.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We're always going to have a trade deficit with Mexico simply because we're a wealthier nation.

Mexican peasants aren't buying a lot of Cadillacs.

Offline NavyCanDo

And when Boeing products cost more they won't sell as many. More jobs to Airbus, Brazil, etc. We are not an island that can live in isolation.

Trade wars always result in less trade and less overall economic activity for everyone.

We, Boeing  already charge too much, which tops the list of customers complaints. Airbus undercuts us every chance they get, and now with China, Russia, and Canada getting into the competitive size jet manufacturing, competition for market share only gets tougher.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@SirLinksALot

Just thought you ought to know that the headline on the post that initiated this thread is a total lie and has never been said by anyone!

The closest thing to it was a comment in today's press briefing that mentioned this as one possible thing under consideration to make Mexico pay for the wall. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:01:47 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

@SirLinksALot

Just thought you ought to know that the headline on the post that initiated this thread is a total lie and has never been said by anyone!

The closest thing to it was a comment in today's press briefing that mentioned this as one possible thing under consideration to make Mexico pay for the wall.

It has been repeated by other sources. See here:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-suggests-20-percent-tax-on-mexican-imports-to-pay-for-the-wall/article/2613078

And on Air Force One, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Trump favors reform that would boost taxes on imports. The House GOP plan would impose a 20 percent tax on imports — not just from Mexico, but all other countries — and Spicer made it clear the White House is looking to use revenues generated from Mexican imports to fund the wall.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:00:41 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It has been repeated by other sources. See here:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-suggests-20-percent-tax-on-mexican-imports-to-pay-for-the-wall/article/2613078

Regardless it was never said!

It was merely mentioned as one of many possible ways to make Mexico pay for the wall. Never said it was THE way it was going to be done!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien