Author Topic: The Entire Senior Management Team At The State Department Just Resigned; Tillerson wanted a clean slate, he just got it.  (Read 10921 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ZERO HEDGE

URL: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-26/entire-senior-management-team-state-department-just-resigned

Demonstrating just how ideologically alligned with the Obama administration was the entire US State Department, moments ago the WaPo reported that "the entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era."

The mass resignation took place as Rex Tillerson was inside the State Department’s headquarters in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday, taking meetings and getting the lay of the land.

According to WaPo's Josh Rogin who suddenly has no more senior level sources left at State:

"I reported Wednesday morning that the Trump team was narrowing its search for his No. 2, and that it was looking to replace the State Department’s long-serving undersecretary for management, Patrick Kennedy. Kennedy, who has been in that job for nine years, was actively involved in the transition and was angling to keep that job under Tillerson, three State Department officials told me."

Then suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, Kennedy and three of his top officials resigned unexpectedly, four State Department officials confirmed. Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, followed him out the door. All are career foreign service officers who have served under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Additionally, "Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Gregory Starr retired Jan. 20, and the director of the Bureau of Overseas Building Operations, Lydia Muniz, departed the same day. That amounts to a near-complete housecleaning of all the senior officials that deal with managing the State Department, its overseas posts and its people."

It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry. “Department expertise in security, management, administrative and consular positions in particular are very difficult to replicate and particularly difficult to find in the private sector.”

There were more: several senior foreign service officers in the State Department’s regional bureaus have also left their posts or resigned since the election. But the emptying of leadership in the management bureaus is more disruptive because those offices need to be led by people who know the department and have experience running its complicated bureaucracies. There’s no easy way to replace that via the private sector, said Wade.

“Diplomatic security, consular affairs, there’s just not a corollary that exists outside the department, and you at least can afford a learning curve in these areas where issues can quickly become matters of life and death,” he said. “The muscle memory is critical. These retirements are a big loss. They leave a void. These are very difficult people to replace.”

Whether Kennedy left on his own volition or was pushed out by the incoming Trump team is a matter of dispute inside the department. Just days before he resigned, Kennedy was taking on more responsibility inside the department and working closely with the transition. His departure was a surprise to other State Department officials who were working with him.

Rogin's conclusion: "By itself, the sudden departure of the State Department’s entire senior management team is disruptive enough. But in the context of a president who railed against the U.S. foreign policy establishment during his campaign and secretary of state with no government experience, the vacancies are much more concerning."

On the other hand, if Tillerson wanted a real clean slate, he just got it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think this is pretty normal when a new administration moves in.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:20:03 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think this is normal when a new administration moves in.

And, in the case of Patrick Kennedy and others, a very good thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

I think this is normal when a new administration moves in.

Not really. Some of these Leftist jerk have been around since '73. This is a very good thing and tangible evidence of swamp draining in a very important area.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Not really. Some of these Leftist jerk have been around since '73. This is a very good thing and tangible evidence of swamp draining in a very important area.

I can think of no place more in need of a through swamping out than the U.S. Department of State!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

I can think of no place more in need of a through swamping out than the U.S. Department of State!

The State Department needs an enema.

Offline r9etb

I think this is pretty normal when a new administration moves in.

It's not, actually.  These are careerists leaving, not political appointees.  It could be either an opportunity or a disaster, depending on who takes over those jobs.  If filled from below and within, it probably means a more or less status quo situation.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It's not, actually.  These are careerists leaving, not political appointees.  It could be either an opportunity or a disaster, depending on who takes over those jobs.  If filled from below and within, it probably means a more or less status quo situation.

I could be wrong but I think most of these people are careerists who were filling posts normally held by political appointees. Most of them will just move back to their regular jobs.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

Now that is what I'd call a "target rich environment".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

You trying to give the EPA shit fits?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 888high58888

Though part of me does think it is, for real. I normally like people who are passionate about what they do - doesn't matter if they're a scientist digging into the mysteries of the universe or a fry cook making sure each burger is just so, they are fun, invigorating, and their sheer joy makes me smile.

So a waste of passion on this scale - it troubles me.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Watched film "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi " last night, about the performance of political and careerists in the Obama-Clinton State Dept..

You can have all of them. Start fresh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Benghazi_attack

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Wasn't Patrick Kennedy the fall guy for Benghazi within the State Department?  Someone had to be responsible...right?

In any case, I don't think it's Trump -- or even Tillerson -- those careerists were worried about.  The guy they're worried about John Bolton, who is supposedly going to be Tillerson's top deputy, and will be responsible for the day to day operation of the State Department.  He's long railed against the institutional resistance within the State Department, and there will likely be a lot of heads rolling.

I don't think those people who left wanted to work for Bolton.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Watched film "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi " last night, about the performance of political and careerists in the Obama-Clinton State Dept..

You can have all of them. Start fresh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Benghazi_attack

Believe me when I tell you that there are those around here who have first hand knowledge of just how pitiful those stripped pants bastards are!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Wasn't Patrick Kennedy the fall guy for Benghazi within the State Department?  Someone had to be responsible...right?

In any case, I don't think it's Trump -- or even Tillerson -- those careerists were worried about.  The guy they're worried about John Bolton, who is supposedly going to be Tillerson's top deputy, and will be responsible for the day to day operation of the State Department.  He's long railed against the institutional resistance within the State Department, and there will likely be a lot of heads rolling.

I don't think those people who left wanted to work for Bolton.

God only knows how much I hope that is true!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

How nice!  We've found a self-draining swamp!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Trump To Nominate Extreme Militant John Bolton As State Department’s No. 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-bolton-trump-state-department_us_584c6b3be4b0e05aded43d0e

EXCELLENT news!  I hope he does exactly that!

I also note the EXTREME bias in the headline!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:05:05 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

888high58888

Though part of me does think it is, for real. I normally like people who are passionate about what they do - doesn't matter if they're a scientist digging into the mysteries of the universe or a fry cook making sure each burger is just so, they are fun, invigorating, and their sheer joy makes me smile.

So a waste of passion on this scale - it troubles me.

The problem is that some of them will turn their fervor into groups like the ALF, which I had some personal and very dangerous business with, Earth First and other eco-terrorist groups.

Add them to the State Dept and other terror supporters either out of or soon tobe out of a job and you have the recipe for a homegrown insurgency. The hard left will never stand for a rollback of their 'gains'.

But as long as they are treated accordingly by LEOs and military, I'm good with it. Preferably in .50 cal doses.

Offline Norm Lenhart

EXCELLENT news!  I hope he does exactly that!

I also note the EXTREME bias in the headline!

I have to give the man his due. He has made some very good moves thus far. I hope that keeps up.