Author Topic: Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan  (Read 6154 times)

Offline Fantom

Re: Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:06 am »
I didn't know @Smokin Joe was from Texas! 

:smokin:

Ah, Baja Oklahoma.    :tongue2:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online libertybele

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:08 am »
They did not at my granddaughter's school.  Home lunches were verboten because parents were packing "inappropriate" lunches.  Injustice, inequality, bullying, and all that...

Unbelievable!  A home lunch inappropriate?  I'd be fuming mad!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 02:03:42 am »
I have very mixed feelings on this.  Growing up my parents provided my lunch, sometimes all I got was a Velveeta and mayo sandwich or sugar and butter sandwich... and I do believe each parent should be RESPONSIBLE in feeding their own children; but we have a generation of kids that go hungry and live in poverty and even though the parent(s) may work, have a heck of a time putting food in their lunch boxes. Honestly, until Trump can turn this economy around and get people working and off welfare,  I'm hoping that a better plan then is implemented if they indeed scrap her lunch plan. In the area that I live ALL students regardless of age or income are entitled to receive a free breakfast and lunch. Granted on some days the breakfasts have a little to be desired and the lunches sometimes may not be a kid's favorite, but any way you cut it, no child during the day is going hungry.  That's the key here in a nutshell.  My grandkids are in elementary and middle school and actually they are given choices of entrees; vegetables and mixtures of fruits are available and choice of milk. Perhaps they don't put the fruits or vegetables/salads on their trays ... but still .... each student at least has something to put in their bellies throughout the day.

Great post Liberty.  I'd like to believe most people agree that disadvantaged children deserve to be fed and that society has a responsibility to help when the the parents can't or even when they won't take responsibility.

On another note...the optics of "cutting school lunch" are terrible.  Can't Trump cut some of the regulations and add in a few of his own and claim he is improving and expanding school lunches?   I feel pretty certain Trump could pull that off.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 02:07:31 am »

Wingnut

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:16 am »
Where did I miss the part where Trump action was defunding the program to feed needy students?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:03 am »
Where did I miss the part where Trump action was defunding the program to feed needy students?
You must have missed it because it wasn't there. Isn't this about lifting at least some of the oppressive and expensive restrictions and regulations that were imposed at Mooch's direction? Children will continue to be able to get school lunches. Sheesh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:44 am »
It's hard to learn when you are hungry. These are developing kids, and it isn't about maintaining their body weight, but building their bodies. My grandkids have been coming home from school ready to eat the fridge since they started this crap.  They are not getting the developmental nutrition they need.
So someone else should be responsible for providing for them other than the govt?

Gee, what a novel idea/.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 02:29:41 am »
You must have missed it because it wasn't there. Isn't this about lifting at least some of the oppressive and expensive restrictions and regulations that were imposed at Mooch's direction? Children will continue to be able to get school lunches. Sheesh.

Thank You.  I thought I missed it.  All it does is remove the crap (rabbit food, fruit, tofu) Mooch forced into the meal that the kids where throwing away by the metric tons and replace it with food they will eat. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 02:30:03 am »
You know what, I was a single parent for much of my sons younger years.  I didn't make a lot of money but I wouldn't have dreamed of not feeding my children breakfast, lunch and dinner.  There are no free lunches, someone like me, is paying for them.

If a parent is so poor that they can't afford to feed their children then there are food stamps.  If parents are unwilling to feed their own children either because they're lazy or they think someone else should do it, then they should have their children removed from them.  Why are we given people food stamps if they aren't using it to feed their children.
What in the hell are the food stamps for, if not to feed the kids they are based on?

I am stunned how far some that claim to be conservatives, have bought into government programs and aid.

Once entitlements like this are in place, our entire society comes to expect them, support them, and claim they can't be done without.

My parents would have been embarrassed to accept ANY government aid. Period.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 02:30:58 am »
Before the Mooch's "healthy" rules were put in place, children were eating the lunches served at school and weren't going hungry. Afterwards, not so much.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IB7NDUSBOo

Offline beandog

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 02:32:36 am »
So someone else should be responsible for providing for them other than the govt?

Gee, what a novel idea/.
I don't get that.  If my kids where coming home from school complaining they weren't getting enough food at school, then I'd feed them lunch myself.  When you give up the obligation and responsibility to at least feed your child then you have no business complaining about what somebody else is feeding them.  It just doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:

If all these kids aren't getting fed enough, why are so may kids fat?

Offline beandog

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:38 am »
What in the hell are the food stamps for, if not to feed the kids they are based on?

I am stunned how far some that claim to be conservatives, have bought into government programs and aid.

Once entitlements like this are in place, our entire society comes to expect them, support them, and claim they can't be done without.

I agree.  My father was in the military until I was in my early teens.  My mother stayed at home and there were 4 of us.  They didn't have a lot of money but somehow she managed to feed her own children.

I don't have a problem with helping people out of bad situations that may need help briefly feeding there kids.  That is what food stamps are for.  If we are feeding these children breakfast and lunch what the heck are we doing giving them the amount of food stamps we are.  I seriously doubt they are deducted food stamps if we are also feeding them these meals.  No wonder so many people getting food stamps are fat. **nononono*

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:09 am »
They did not at my granddaughter's school.  Home lunches were verboten because parents were packing "inappropriate" lunches.  Injustice, inequality, bullying, and all that...

I would find a different school immediately.  I can't believe the nanny state has gone that far...  Or maybe I can.   :shrug: 8888crybaby **nononono*
God is still in control

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:43 am »

@beandog  @truth seeker

You people just don't get it! If they actually spent that money on feeding their children where da money fo may nails gonna come from?  Or my Air Jordans?  Or...
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:44 am »

:amen:

Online libertybele

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:51 am »

I am stunned that they are still 95 million Americans out of the labor force, 50 million in poverty and 46 million on food stamps. Keep in mind if you will how much the cost of food has risen since Bammy took office. Since 2007, the cost of food has risen approximately 58%!  During that same time period form many wages stagnated, hours were reduced or people lost their jobs!

Yes, there are without a doubt generations of people who remain dependent on government; government programs that were created and designed  to keep people dependent on government in order to get or keep their votes.  There is now another group of people, who during the Bammy years were forced onto these programs out of absolute necessity.  Until Trump gets this economy going, without school lunches and food stamps there are kids that would be going hungry! I have absolutely no doubt that Bammy did everything in his power to destroy this economy and to make more people dependent on government.

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-benefits/no-children-fs-chart

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303418/The-food-prices-58--Cost-groceries-rocketed-2007.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:17 am »
@beandog  @truth seeker

You people just don't get it! If they actually spent that money on feeding their children where da money fo may nails gonna come from?  Or my Air Jordans?  Or...

Yes, Bigun I get that part of it.  I also get the part that there are people who have lost their jobs, or their hours were cut or are working 2 jobs and are still struggling... I have seen parents (and kids) who go without food rather than be embarrassed by getting lunches at reduced rates or applying for food stamps!  The economy is such in this area (and yes we have a lot of illegals which doesn't help the scenario) that the state decided to grant ALL students free breakfast and lunches; for many, that program is a gift from God,  for others, they see it as an entitlement.

Until Trump gets the economy booming again, there are people who legitimately need the programs at this point in time.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 03:41:29 am »
Yes, Bigun I get that part of it.  I also get the part that there are people who have lost their jobs, or their hours were cut or are working 2 jobs and are still struggling... I have seen parents (and kids) who go without food rather than be embarrassed by getting lunches at reduced rates or applying for food stamps!  The economy is such in this area (and yes we have a lot of illegals which doesn't help the scenario) that the state decided to grant ALL students free breakfast and lunches; for many, that program is a gift from God,  for others, they see it as an entitlement.

Until Trump gets the economy booming again, there are people who legitimately need the programs at this point in time.

At base I don't have a problem with public assistance programs that are properly structured and administered.  Been a LONG time since I've seen one of those! 

Rewarding people with bigger checks simply because they had another out of wedlock child is a recipe for disaster! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 04:27:12 am »

Oh that must have been what happened to this years tweed carpet dress by Jason Wu.  The sleeves were cutting off her circulation you could see her flesh bulging.  Too many burgers.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:27:50 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 04:49:19 am »
The venerable PBJ was verboten because of peanut allergies...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 04:50:39 am »
I didn't know @Smokin Joe was from Texas! 

:smokin:
Texas isn't the only place like that, m'am.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:27 am »
I missed the defunding part, too. Probably for the same reason.

(Watch the liberals spin it that way, though).

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 04:57:02 am »

Gee, what a novel idea/.
When the government embraces that exclusive responsibility to feed the kids during school hours (lunch), then they should do an adequate job of it, nutritionally, for a developing child. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Permit me to describe my poor little county in my poor little state. I'll try not to generalize. For what it's worth, our county is 97% white.

A lot of folks receive gubmint assistance. Unfortunately, they don't use those benefits to care for their children. They'll buy impractical or unhealthy stuff with their SNAP. I stand behind them in the line at Kroger. Chips, soda, you name it. Not pasta, vegetables, bulk ground beef or turkey. They could buy healthy, inexpensive foods and make them last until the next visit to the store, but they don't.  Sometimes, they'll use SNAP for things like soda pop, then sell the items for cash with which they purchase drugs. A lot of children in my county come home from school to find the parent(s) passed out from drugs or alcohol.

As you might expect, they all seem to have smartphones, though (something my husband and I won't get because of the cost).

Their children at least get breakfast and lunch (and possibly dinner) at their schools, free of charge, thanks to the taxpayers. In addition, many of our churches prepare "buddy bags" and distribute them through the schools on Fridays, so that the children in the most need receive a grocery bag full of breakfast bar-type things, applesauce cups, etc., that church members have donated to get the children through the weekends without starving. Their parents don't bother to feed them because they're either too high or just figure the school will take care of it.

The whole system is messed up. How many of us have had the Great Depression described to us by our parents or grandparents? No one in my family received welfare back then, but no one starved, even when dinner was saltines in a glass of milk or just a bowl of popcorn. Parents did everything in their power to care for their children. The problem now, at least among those in my county whom I may observe, is that "parents" are anything but.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 04:39:32 pm »
The idea that people in Washington should determine what kids in Tennessee eat for lunch is an obscenity.