Author Topic: Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:41:02 am »
Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan
Fox News, Jan 25, 2017

The healthy school lunch program championed by former first lady Michelle Obama has had its fair share of criticism -- but with a new administration in place, the program could be rolled back.

A document released by the office of Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., called for repealing certain aspects of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 – the legislation that helped put Michelle Obama’s hallmark program into law. The initiative is part of a broader plan released by Meadows titled, “First 100 Days: Rules, Regulations, and Executive Orders to Examine, Revoke and Issue.”

The document calls for the Trump administration to reverse nearly 200 rules and regulations, including the requirements of the 2010 law.

“The regulations have proven to be burdensome and unworkable for schools to implement,” reads a related report from the House Freedom Caucus, of which Meadows is a member. “Schools are throwing food away that students are not eating.”

Since 2012, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has implemented the requirement – tied to the 2010 law – that schools include either a fruit or vegetable for lunches subsidized by the federal government. However, a report published in August 2015 by researchers at the University of Vermont found even though students added more fruits and vegetables to their plates, “children consumed fewer [fruits and vegetables] and wasted more during the school year immediately following implementation of the USDA rule.”

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/25/republicans-look-to-scrap-michelle-obama-school-lunch-plan.html

Offline chae

Re: Republicans look to scrap Michelle Obama school lunch plan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:41 am »
Every person who votes to keep this plan ought to be forced to eat it continually for the next 12 years.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:55 am »

Offline beandog

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:33 am »
Good.  How much "healthier" did all those kids who had to eat the lunch get over the last 6 years.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:45 am »
Every person who votes to keep this plan ought to be forced to eat it continually for the next 12 years.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:03:46 am »

Hypocrisy is even more delicious than fast food fries.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline beandog

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:07:01 am »
Hypocrisy is even more delicious than fast food fries.
Now I wouldn't go that far. :laugh:

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 01:07:44 am »

On the positive side, every school kid got a personal lesson in the fascist Progressive State.

Hopefully it yields positive results at the ballot box when they turn 18.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:22 am »
My grandsons will be happy to hear this.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:19 am »
Hungry children are not healthy.  This needs doing ASAP.
It's hard to learn when you are hungry. These are developing kids, and it isn't about maintaining their body weight, but building their bodies. My grandkids have been coming home from school ready to eat the fridge since they started this crap.  They are not getting the developmental nutrition they need.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:54 am »
I have very mixed feelings on this.  Growing up my parents provided my lunch, sometimes all I got was a Velveeta and mayo sandwich or sugar and butter sandwich... and I do believe each parent should be RESPONSIBLE in feeding their own children; but we have a generation of kids that go hungry and live in poverty and even though the parent(s) may work, have a heck of a time putting food in their lunch boxes. Honestly, until Trump can turn this economy around and get people working and off welfare,  I'm hoping that a better plan then is implemented if they indeed scrap her lunch plan. In the area that I live ALL students regardless of age or income are entitled to receive a free breakfast and lunch. Granted on some days the breakfasts have a little to be desired and the lunches sometimes may not be a kid's favorite, but any way you cut it, no child during the day is going hungry.  That's the key here in a nutshell.  My grandkids are in elementary and middle school and actually they are given choices of entrees; vegetables and mixtures of fruits are available and choice of milk. Perhaps they don't put the fruits or vegetables/salads on their trays ... but still .... each student at least has something to put in their bellies throughout the day.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:36 am »
The school lunch program ran pretty much the same for 40 years until Mooch decided it was making kids fat.

The only factor that changed in those 40 years was the kids.   Sedentary sloth like creatures tend to fat over weight skells.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:19:28 am »
It's hard to learn when you are hungry. These are developing kids, and it isn't about maintaining their body weight, but building their bodies. My grandkids have been coming home from school ready to eat the fridge since they started this crap.  They are not getting the developmental nutrition they need.

They also though have the choice of packing their own lunch do they not??
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 01:20:37 am »
The school lunch program ran pretty much the same for 40 years until Mooch decided it was making kids fat.

The only factor that changed in those 40 years was the kids.   Sedentary sloth like creatures tend to fat over weight skells.
Some are, some aren't. Ours aren't--sedentary or slothlike. But that is why they are perpetually hungry, anyway. They may not always spend their energy doing the things we want, but then they burn twice as much bypassing of a chore as doing one (and then they still have to do it).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:21:10 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:21:33 am »

Well, when normal children are no longer allowed to run around at recess playin'  Cowboys and Indians. ..........
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline beandog

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:15 am »
I have very mixed feelings on this.  Growing up my parents provided my lunch, sometimes all I got was a Velveeta and mayo sandwich or sugar and butter sandwich... and I do believe each parent should be RESPONSIBLE in feeding their own children; but we have a generation of kids that go hungry and live in poverty and even though the parent(s) may work, have a heck of a time putting food in their lunch boxes. Honestly, until Trump can turn this economy around and get people working and off welfare,  I'm hoping that a better plan then is implemented if they indeed scrap her lunch plan. In the area that I live ALL students regardless of age or income are entitled to receive a free breakfast and lunch. Granted on some days the breakfasts have a little to be desired and the lunches sometimes may not be a kid's favorite, but any way you cut it, no child during the day is going hungry.  That's the key here in a nutshell.  My grandkids are in elementary and middle school and actually they are given choices of entrees; vegetables and mixtures of fruits are available and choice of milk. Perhaps they don't put the fruits or vegetables/salads on their trays ... but still .... each student at least has something to put in their bellies throughout the day.
You know what, I was a single parent for much of my sons younger years.  I didn't make a lot of money but I wouldn't have dreamed of not feeding my children breakfast, lunch and dinner.  There are no free lunches, someone like me, is paying for them.

If a parent is so poor that they can't afford to feed their children then there are food stamps.  If parents are unwilling to feed their own children either because they're lazy or they think someone else should do it, then they should have their children removed from them.  Why are we given people food stamps if they aren't using it to feed their children.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:29 am »
They'll still get lunches, and won't have to pay for them if their parents can't. They just won't be force fed inedible brown stuff or vegetables no one's heard of - which cost the school districts a fortune and the kids refuse to eat.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 01:26:03 am »
Some are, some aren't. Ours aren't--sedentary or slothlike. But that is why they are perpetually hungry, anyway. They may not always spend their energy doing the things we want, but then they burn twice as much bypassing of a chore as doing one (and then they still have to do it).

But Joe you come from an area where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:09 am »
Well, when normal children are no longer allowed to run around at recess playin'  Cowboys and Indians. ..........

You mean "Livestock management technicians" and "indigenous persons".

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:59 am »
But Joe you come from an area where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.
True, dat!

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:29:37 am »
You mean "Livestock management technicians" and "indigenous persons".
That's persecuted by evil white men indigenous persons, buster.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 01:31:21 am »

ALrighty then!   ^-^

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 01:33:38 am »
We used to play 'oppressive fascist racist law enforcement technicians and poor aggrieved downtrodden educationally underprivileged economically deprived larcenous victims from food deserts'--although the name was a lot shorter.

We played 'Army', too, but that would have you hanged from the schoolyard fence for going "bang!" nowadays.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:34:36 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 01:51:33 am »

I didn't know @Smokin Joe was from Texas! 

:smokin:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 01:53:51 am »
You know what, I was a single parent for much of my sons younger years.  I didn't make a lot of money but I wouldn't have dreamed of not feeding my children breakfast, lunch and dinner.  There are no free lunches, someone like me, is paying for them.

If a parent is so poor that they can't afford to feed their children then there are food stamps.  If parents are unwilling to feed their own children either because they're lazy or they think someone else should do it, then they should have their children removed from them.  Why are we given people food stamps if they aren't using it to feed their children.

Absolutely!  I hear exactly where you're coming from. Laziness does enter into the scenario without a doubt!! But also, it's not the children's fault! LBJ's Great Society made generations of people dependent on government and it has become acceptable to depend on government or to get over and get benefits rather than work.  There are also parents who (and I know a few) are too much in a hurry in the morning to feed their kids or to lazy at night to pack lunches and leave it up to the schools; and yes, they are the same parents that are too lazy to do homework with their kids as well. On the other hand I have volunteered at food banks and food stamps only stretch so far, especially with the price of food these days and the parents are legitimately doing what they can for themselves and their kids.

Bottom line...we have to enable people (via jobs) to take care of themselves and their families rather than enable them to be dependent on government.